Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 08:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,245,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's not so much not needing the range for the trip but having accessible recharging stations enroute. Right now that's not a reality. That, and not needing hours to recharge (spending a half hour charging for 60 miles of range means you stop every hour for 30 minutes to go 60 miles).

I've related this story before but not much has changed in the last couple years:

Daughter 1 has a Bolt. A couple years ago she planned a Christmas trip for 300 miles, meaning they'd have to stop at one of the three charging stations on the way to "top off".

Well, that one day, 7 hour trip turned into two days with a night in a motel because none of the charging stations were operable.

That's what people are internalizing now.
My son and his family took a road trip from Massachusetts to Atlanta to visit us in his Tesla. They did the thousand miles in two days with planned charging spots. He says it’s been getting easier and easier to find chargers in the four years he’s owned the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 08:32 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,245,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I bought a 2020 Forester two years ago. I was really looking into Tesla then, but I don't think the Model Ys were out. They start around $55,000 - prices need to come down.

I have no interest in going back to a sedan. Where do I put my stuff?

Give me something like a Forester with some basic towing, AWD, and a price point at $30k-$35k. That's when I'll enter the market.
You’d be lucky to get a gas Forester for 30K these days.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,594,615 times
Quote:

As far as driving a few miles to a charging station, OK. But the charge time there is a hang up. You're right, I might have to drive a few miles to a gas station (actually two blocks) but I'm in and out in five minutes.
Most people recharge their batteries overnight, so the need to charge during the day, while you wait, is greatly reduced. If you are making a long trip, then stopping for an extra half hour or 45 minutes to grab a bite to eat might be considered acceptable. Right now charge times are not onerous, but what happens when charge times are reduced to 15 minutes or less? And remember, most charging is done when you sleep, which is also when the demand on the electrical grid is lowest.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:13 PM

8,412 posts, read 6,514,468 times
Resale value for a say 7 year old EV would be zero.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:16 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,294,461 times
and 25 year old (classic) would be negative

Old 02-03-2022, 10:46 PM

17,738 posts, read 29,997,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
This pipe dream is so …let down.
You silly.
Cf., Norway.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 3,436,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
VERY well stated!

Coal fired power stations, how "green" are they??? And as the population has grown, so has the need for power, in some way, shape, or form. In the simplest terms, as the population grew, it grew into the colder regions of the world. Therefore, shelter became necessary. And as man got a LITTLE smarter, he thought that a little heat would be nice, in his shelter. He then realized that wood would burn, and create heat......as well as smoke, and whatever pollutants that smoke carried.

BUT, you can't turn back the clock, you can't move the world's entire population into areas that are temperate, 24/7/365, and if it does get a slight bit chilly at night, you simply put on another sweater.....or you live, and conduct your affairs within walking distance of your home, so no cars, busses, ships, or trains are needed.

Civilization turned that corner a long, long time ago, and there's no turning back...........

While I believe what I said is the absolute truth. That truth is not going to be digested by the majority of people as it is just far too negative (especially if you are young or you have children/grandchildren -- acceptance is not going to happen). The whole green thing will be Capitalized on with a capital C. It's political now (you cannot go forward without some hope for the young). It is easier to accept the older you are.

How much energy is consumed to manufacture electric vehicles? Most gasoline operated vehicles have already incurred the cost of being produced and can run for decades... None of it makes much sense.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:07 AM

6,593 posts, read 3,254,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Chargers don't need to be "everywhere" (I think you meant that), any more than gas stations need to be "everywhere". You may need to drive a few miles to find a gas station. You might need to drive a few miles to find a charging station.

So many new vehicles in the future, this is an exciting time to be a car owner.

Rivian, Fisker, Lucid, Atlis, and the legacy automakers, to name a few, all rolling out an EV fleet soon.
YES, they do! Just read the post, below..........

Quote:
..........As far as driving a few miles to a charging station, OK. But the charge time there is a hang up. You're right, I might have to drive a few miles to a gas station (actually two blocks) but I'm in and out in five minutes.
Bingo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
This pipe dream is so many years away. The technology is not even close. Batteries are terrible. Charging times are unacceptable. People want to fill up in 3 minutes like we have for 100 years. Who the hell is going to wait 30 minutes to charge up? There will be thousands of dead cars all over the roads because they didn’t plan their charges in advanced. People are busy as hell now. They will never change their habits. And paying $5k to 10k for a battery that may or may not burst in flames and torch the drivers is not going to cut the mustard. I’m not holding my breathe. Enough of this green BS. And what is happening with the millions upon millions of cars out there today? Are they suddenly going to be swallowed up by the earth and disappear? So much for this ridiculous green world when we have to junk 100 million gas burning cars into landfills. Such hypocrisy! And if anyone thinks that the government being behind this venture makes it any better, you are surely in for a let down.

Right on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
.....How much energy is consumed to manufacture electric vehicles? Most gasoline operated vehicles have already incurred the cost of being produced and can run for decades... None of it makes much sense.
Yup!! And this fact is something that the "green weenies" rose colored glasses won't allow them to see.....

Old 02-04-2022, 05:52 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,453,364 times
They're sure alot quieter than these gas pig rust buckets or mods.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,710,633 times
Age 70 and 68. We've already gone 100% electric. Bought 2 Chevy Bolts back in April and June of 2021. Chevy was phasing out the old model and we got amazing price. (about $24.5K). Loved the first one so much 2 months later we bought the second.

So we haven't bought a cent of gas since June 3rd, 2021.

Have a 240 Volt charger installed in garage. Bolts have 259 mile range, we usually charge up every 3rd night or so. Bolts are amazing city cars. Super fun to drive and surprisingly roomy.

They are not great road trip cars. Their "fast" charging is too slow. So when we did a road trip in the fall we rented a Tesla Model Y. Charging was a breeze. Car tells you where chargers were (down in Florida many times it was a WaWa). About 15 minutes later we'd be on the road. Every couple hours, I need to hit bathroom and stretch my legs anyway.

It's funny to read the silly posts by the anti-ev folks here. They are so clueless. But it doesn't matter. Every EV is selling like crazy, Tesla's have nearly a year long waiting list. They'll keep grabbing a larger share of the market every year. Slowly over time the car manufactures will stop producing gas cars because they won't be able to justify the fixed expenses.

It will be like the folks that say "I'll never drive an automatic stick shifts are better." You can hardly find a car with a stick shift these. days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement