Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 04:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If one really cared about efficiency, minimal resource consumption, and scalability, BEVs aren't the solution.

Electric traction rail is 20 times more efficient, takes less surface area (one track has the equivalent carrying capacity of 9 lanes of superhighway), and can be scaled with increased population density far more than can any pneumatic tire on pavement vehicle, regardless of power plant.

n.
I really enjoy this forum when someone who knows their stuff, shows it. Thank you.

Reminds me when I had a Nintendo and a sims game. Made the entire city tracks. No autos. Did rather well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 04:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know. But their current cars were inadequate for the trip. Because the range and charging capabilities weren't adequate.

Like I pointed out in a previous post, having to stop every hour to charge for 30 minutes to drive another hour.

By any measure, most Teslas are higher end vehicles. Yes, I know there's one for $35K with an astounding 220 miles of range, less than half that of my F150 or the 2010 Forester and 40% of the 2021 Forester's range. Hell, my kid's '05 Sable gets 26/27 MPG if he doesn't bury his foot in it.
Where do you get your info - you don't stop every hour to charge 30 min. You imply a range of 60-70 miles and charge speed way below reality. I charge once for about 25-30 min on a 6 hour trip that I take more than once a month. Reality is that driving an ICE vehicle on the same route results in maybe a few minutes less because still stopping to fill up, eat and use the facilities.

Some Tesla's have ranges that are closer to your F-150 or Forester, not all are that short - you can't buy the 220 mile range any more.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Rivian R1T - Up to 11,000 lbs.

Atlis XT - 35,000 lbs.

Ford F-150 Lightning and

Chevy Silverado EV websites are crap and I'm not sure on either.
Most current Tesla vehicles are rated to tow 5000 pounds - the Cybertruck is expected to be rated at 14,000 pounds.

The F-150 lightning and Silverado RST (long range EV) are both expected to be rated to tow at 10,000 pounds.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:17 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Where do you get your info - you don't stop every hour to charge 30 min. You imply a range of 60-70 miles and charge speed way below reality. I charge once for about 25-30 min on a 6 hour trip that I take more than once a month. Reality is that driving an ICE vehicle on the same route results in maybe a few minutes less because still stopping to fill up, eat and use the facilities.

Some Tesla's have ranges that are closer to your F-150 or Forester, not all are that short - you can't buy the 220 mile range any more.
Where is the information from?

The industry:

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/...n-electric-car

Old 02-05-2022, 06:35 PM

602 posts, read 313,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My son woks for Lucid and it is an amazing car. They have lower cost vehicles coming up which they will need to become a truly viable automaker. The EV competition is really starting to ramp up including the traditional automakers, Lucid currently has a technology advantage which they will need to maintain to gain a foothold.
Does your son feel that Lucid has a bright future ?

Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
No, things haven't really "changed a bit". There may be more chargers in Denver, where you are, but that's not the case everywhere.

You all say "Well WalMart and Kohl's have installed chargers" but I have yet to see either with them.

Chargers won't be installed anywhere, by businesses or most governments, until critical mass is reached. Even then for businesses there will be a lot of sharp pencils involved due to the cost.

About the cost: we installed a two stall multi-charger in one of the Town's parking lots about four years ago, the cost was $30,000. Had we not gotten a $25,000 grant and a free hybrid Ford Fusion for doing it it wouldn't have been done. As it is those chargers are rarely used.
Ikea had rows and rows of chargers. Next time I'm out that way I'll count them, since appearances can be deceiving. Edited to add that this Ikea is close to I 95 Smart move.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:21 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
How many people who are so gung ho on EV's are also in favor of an extra tax on EV's because the EV's don't pay any gasoline tax which is what pays for most of our highway construction and repair?

Old 02-05-2022, 10:58 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Does your son feel that Lucid has a bright future ?
He does think they have a bright future, but he understands that it's a very competitive car market and Lucid is a startup company so anything can happen.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Where is the information from?

The industry:

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/...n-electric-car
That is not the "industry" - that is a UK company and it is really out of wack from what is reality for longer trips in the US - you did not even use the numbers from your source.

Many EVs are more like 100Kw battery size and most new chargers are more in the 250-350Kw range. The 50Kw that the site lists are level 3 chargers - old tech and much cheaper equipment. Anything faster is DC Fast charger.

Tesla has had 150Kw chargers for over 10 years - i have never seen a 50Kw charger other than at a business for convenience not serious charging. Even the data they are using for home is low - I charge at 9Kw at home (40 amps), not 7Kw.

I am going by actual use rather than out of date data - I can get about 100 miles of range in 15 minutes or about 180 miles in 30 minutes on a 150Kw charger. With a 350Kw charger, 100 miles will take about 7 minutes.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
How many people who are so gung ho on EV's are also in favor of an extra tax on EV's because the EV's don't pay any gasoline tax which is what pays for most of our highway construction and repair?
You are behind the times - currently many states impose an extra tax on EVs in the form of registration and other fees. The average EV owner already pays more than twice in fees what someone driving an efficient gasoline car pays annually in state gas taxes. EVs also pay taxes on electricity used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement