Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2022, 02:18 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'll never understand why so many get so upset over the choices others decide to make. If someone likes and buys an EV it's no one elses business. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy one. End of story.
But the flaw in your logic, is that the government appears to be PUSHING HARD to get the everyone in EVs, even if they don't want to be. Therefore, it could be more than just an individual's decision, so that's what is causing the issues....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 02:24 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'll never understand why so many get so upset over the choices others decide to make. If someone likes and buys an EV it's no one elses business. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy one. End of story.
Because it appears that the government is pushing hard, to get the general public into EVs, no matter whether they want to, or not. Therefore, if that is indeed the agenda, it's not just a question of what you're going to drive, but also defining our personal freedoms.....

Old 02-06-2022, 02:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But the flaw in your logic, is that the government appears to be PUSHING HARD to get the everyone in EVs, even if they don't want to be. Therefore, it could be more than just an individual's decision, so that's what is causing the issues....

There are far more ICE vehicles than EV and will be for the foreseeable future. One should not be lead by the words of a politician.

ICE vehicles will outlast anyone posting in this forum.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:49 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You missed the point - it was number of car owners that pay not number of states that impose the fees. About 40% of states but more than 70% of vehicle owners pay - CA has over 40% of all EVs and imposes these fees.
The point was unclear as you talked "states".

As to your assertion that EV owners pay more in fees than ICE owners do in gas taxes, take a look at those numbers again.

Since you mentioned California:

Additional EV license fee: $100/year (to be inflation adjusted starting a year ago.

Total gas tax/gallon in California: $0.695/gallon.

An ICE driver would need to buy 144 gallons of gas to hit the $100 EV fee in gas tax, so 12 gallons a month.

I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that the typical California driver buys more gas than 12 gallons a month or 144 gallons a year.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:20 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Because it appears that the government is pushing hard, to get the general public into EVs, no matter whether they want to, or not. Therefore, if that is indeed the agenda, it's not just a question of what you're going to drive, but also defining our personal freedoms.....
I think you are reading more into the push towards EVs than reality - as far as I know, there are goals but no requirements in any law forcing all vehicles to be EVs in the US.

Biden set a goal for 50% of all new car sales to be EVs but that has NO effect of law and is NOT mandatory.

A recent poll has 55% favoring requiring all vehicles being EV by 2030 -

Quote:
A new poll from Yale University, George Mason University, and Climate Nexus, commissioned by the nonprofit Coltura, finds that by a 55%-35% margin, voters in the U.S. support requiring all new cars sold in their state to be electric starting in 2030.
CA Governer signed an executive order to make all personal vehicles sold EVs by 2035 and all trucks by 2045 - but those are more goals than laws and also contained words like when feasible. It also has no impact on already existing vehicle use or sales.

GM expects all EV lineup by 2035.

At this point, no one is "defining our personal freedoms" - it may come but not here yet.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:39 PM

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-wor...-fuel-industry

Old 02-06-2022, 03:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Rivian R1T - Up to 11,000 lbs.

Atlis XT - 35,000 lbs.

Ford F-150 Lightning and

Chevy Silverado EV websites are crap and I'm not sure on either.
Thanks. I should have specified not pickup trucks. If I bought one it would be an SUV.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The point was unclear as you talked "states".

As to your assertion that EV owners pay more in fees than ICE owners do in gas taxes, take a look at those numbers again.

Since you mentioned California:

Additional EV license fee: $100/year (to be inflation adjusted starting a year ago.

Total gas tax/gallon in California: $0.695/gallon.

An ICE driver would need to buy 144 gallons of gas to hit the $100 EV fee in gas tax, so 12 gallons a month.

I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that the typical California driver buys more gas than 12 gallons a month or 144 gallons a year.
I said many states but also talked about average EV owner is paying these fees. I was also basing it on evaluation from nrdc.org not specifically CA taxes;

Quote:
The average state EV fee of $128 per year is more than twice what someone driving an efficient gasoline car pays annually in state gas taxes. That means state policy is inappropriately favoring many gas-powered cars over zero-emission vehicles. Such fees can significantly erode or completely erase the fuel cost savings that motivate consumers to buy EVs and they hit low- and moderate-income households the hardest.
Also CA taxes are $1.18/gal, not $0.0695 but that includes federal tax (that is not a state tax) and things like carbon tax, green house gas tax, tank storage fees, etc - should EVs be required to pay those taxes and fees that are very gas vehicle specific?

Old 02-06-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I said many states but also talked about average EV owner is paying these fees. I was also basing it on evaluation from nrdc.org not specifically CA taxes;

Also CA taxes are $1.18/gal, not $0.0695 but that includes federal tax (that is not a state tax) and things like carbon tax, green house gas tax, tank storage fees, etc - should EVs be required to pay those taxes and fees that are very gas vehicle specific?
Oh c'mon, do the math. You have people buying less than 150 gallons of gas a year. Even someone who drives the industry standard 12,000 miles a year in a 50MPG vehicle uses 240 gallons.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, which is why their name was pulled from consideration. One of more than a few poor choices that Biden has made.

Just to be clear - I could care less what others buy and do not desire nor wish for requirement for all vehicles to be EVs. Although I support EVs I don't support foisting it on everyone. I would also prefer that the US be oil self sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement