Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 10:35 PM

7,633 posts, read 3,278,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There are still some things that can be done to make climate collapse less catastrophic, and eventually reverse it. The open question is how much we'll suffer in the meantime.

But don't worry, you're still right because we won't do the things that need doing.

They say we haven't encountered aliens because evolutionary hard stops destroy most intelligent civilizations before they become interstellar travelers or even communicators. I think we may have figure out what that hard stop is.
Reducing carbon doesn't work because the level of pollution we have is cooling the planet. Look up the "dimming effect."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 05:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
The people who say that no one should be driving gas powered cars are the same people who say that everyone else needs to be vaccinated or wear masks. See the mentality? They will make the decisions for all of us. As there are more and more EVs, guess what happens to gas prices? Yep. $10/ gallon or more so they will force you into them, the same way they say get the shot or you lose your job. So, you have the choice, but it will be at such a huge sacrifice, you need to go along with it.
I think that pretty well sums it up. However, look at what is happening to electric rates, NOW. I just finished reading my morning newspaper, and one of the lead articles is discussing the skyrocketing electric and natural gas rates, and the impact of people's utility bills.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,730,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree with what you said, EXCEPT for the very last part, of the very last sentence....

Not even that.....they'll have you renting it!
Really? You think the 1900 population saw petroleum as evil? And accepted the bogus notion of a "climate crisis" that would "kill the planet" without heavy-handed government measures profoundly limiting our freedom and life quality?

Nope....far from it. It took generations of conditioning, generations of rewarding obedience while punishing individual, independent thought to get where we are today. And that sure isn't smarter.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:28 AM

6,467 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Really? You think the 1900 population saw petroleum as evil? And accepted the bogus notion of a "climate crisis" that would "kill the planet" without heavy-handed government measures profoundly limiting our freedom and life quality?

Nope....far from it. It took generations of conditioning, generations of rewarding obedience while punishing individual, independent thought to get where we are today. And that sure isn't smarter.

NO, I wasn't saying that at all!
I was only saying that I didn't think that a quarter century of living has made us dumber

Old 02-12-2022, 11:03 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,385,218 times
Quote:
And something else to consider, since EVs don't have the range of ICE powered vehicles, they have to be charged more often. That means that they are drawing electricity from the coal fired plants at a higher rate than what has been an "average level" for the previous 40-50 years. This means more "secondary pollution" is being generated, but not from tailpipes, from smokestacks.

There is NO free lunch...................
What is with the really silly statements that have no basis in truth - some EVs have ranges as long or longer than many ICE vehicles - but "charging more often" has nothing to do with increasing pollution. Also, coal is quickly being replaced by non-polluting plants (solar, wind, etc). The average coal fired plant is 45 years old whereas the average renewable plant is about 5 years old. There are now as much elec generating capacity in non-polluting plants as there are in coal fired, even more so some places. For example, CA has shut down all coal fired while 56% of its power in from renewable sources. The polution from fixed power plants is an order of magnitude less than individual ICE vehicles.

Quote:
"Charge at night" is the EV supporters justification for everything.....

Sure, it's no big deal if several dozen EVs plug in on any given night, but if EVERYONE has an EV, and even if HALF of them "plug in at night", that HAS to be about a 6-700% increase in demand, on any given night. Does any rational person think that this won't put a significantly higher load on the current grid??
Who said "charge at night" was any sort of "justification", it was only an explanation as to why there was not an issue as to generation capacity. Current estimates are that if the majority of vehicles were EVs (some will still drive older ICE), it would add about 10-15% to total electric power consumption - current power plant should be able to handle this new demand since already excess capacity, especially at night where much less use - the plants would rather have some load rather than idle them overnight.

You are really not rational if you think that that grid capacity hasn't been looked at when several organizations have done these study - read the studies instead of making assertions that have no basis in fact.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:34 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,730,676 times
Quote:

NO, I wasn't saying that at all!
I was only saying that I didn't think that a quarter century of living has made us dumber
We're talking past each other, because I didn't say that either. I said well over a century, meaning 1900-ish.

You think today's population has the common sense, the drive, the ambition that Henry Ford's chronological peers had? If so, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because, if life were a transmission, we spent spent 80 or so years up-shifting through successive forward gears and rapidly accelerating forward. We then lost power and coasted to a stop, immediately followed by shifting into reverse and jettisoning previous forward progress at a rapidly reverse-accelerating rate. All because we collectively allowed an eccentric, dangerous, and destructive political ideology to become our culture's governing authority.

We did it to ourselves. And, if that's not dumber, I don't know what is.

Good day.

Old 02-12-2022, 01:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
We're talking past each other, because I didn't say that either. I said well over a century, meaning 1900-ish.

You think today's population has the common sense, the drive, the ambition that Henry Ford's chronological peers had? If so, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because, if life were a transmission, we spent spent 80 or so years up-shifting through successive forward gears and rapidly accelerating forward. We then lost power and coasted to a stop, immediately followed by shifting into reverse and jettisoning previous forward progress at a rapidly reverse-accelerating rate. All because we collectively allowed an eccentric, dangerous, and destructive political ideology to become our culture's governing authority.

We did it to ourselves. And, if that's not dumber, I don't know what is.

Good day.
Innovations and new products did not stop with Henry Ford.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
The people who say that no one should be driving gas powered cars are the same people who say that everyone else needs to be vaccinated or wear masks. See the mentality? They will make the decisions for all of us. As there are more and more EVs, guess what happens o gas prices? Yep. $10/ gallon or more so they will force you into them, the same way they say get the shot or you lose your job. So, you have the choice, but it will be at such a huge sacrifice, you need to go along with it.
Funny thing about perception. There isn't anything you can do about someone else's perception. Given all the illness and death that has taken place in America over the last two years, it is not possible for almost 4 million people to be comfortable around someone that is not wearing a mask! So they stay home. They don't go to work. They can't deliver your mail, or teach your kids, or care for you if you get Covid. Make of that what you will. Some of you would rather quit your job than wear a mask. Well, some of them would rather quit their job than be around someone that won't wear a mask. That is adding up to be some significant numbers.

But, whatever. Y'all won. Most of you never obeyed the rules and this thing tore America a new one. This thing killed more Americans than anywhere else. Mighty America with all the resources to have been the one place in the world where this thing would have been as impactful as Ground Zero itself, China.

Now the perception is that America is too dumb to pour **** from a boot. Sabers are rattling and the investors are going to ground with their trillions. If gas gets to $10/gal. it won't be because Liberals forced everyone into EV's. Nope, it will be because America became a failed state when the bottom dropped out of an economy that lost too many warm bodies to stay alive. Lost them for no good reason that I can see.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 02-13-2022 at 12:48 AM..

Old 02-13-2022, 12:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
Quote:

Bogus? I've got pictures in my phone of when the air here was so bad you couldn't see to the end of the block. That is when air quality index numbers started being published. 0 is great. 10 is alright. 20 is okay. 30 ... hmm. Air was 500 some days. 500 people died during a two week span where 88 normally die. Bogus?

I don't know why people that didn't get vaccinated or wear masks don't just stay home and die when they get sick but they don't. To a one (if they can move) they run to the nearest ER and beg and plead to be made well. And, God help them, the doctors try. Y'all are going to be screaming for anyone who will hear to fix this when it gets so hot the roads can't be used. It got that hot here last year. It will again. There is at least 30 years more till ANY steps can be taken to do anything positive. What are the chances of things staying no worse than they are for the next 30 years?

We can't use any of the Arctic runways because they are slush. The geo-politics of being climate deniers are more consequential than your personal slant. It's scaring investors away. We are all whale poop when that happens. Investors are not subject to sleight of hand populist rhetoric. They research stuff. They operate from facts and science. You can tell them till you are blue in the face that this is all BS and that the planet is actually cooling but they aren't going to believe you. They follow the science. Imagine that.

When we lose their confidence the game is lost. Smart? You have no idea. Smart people know we've screwed the pooch and that makes them very dangerous. America has been the number one polluter for decades. More than anywhere else, we did this. Everyone knows it and that should concern you.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:08 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It shouldn't be "political" but it has to be since the subject deals with decisions, mandates, regulations and pronouncements made in the political realm by politicians.
I’m just watching myself because I have been banned about bringing on political stuff in forums about other subjects, that of course, have political connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement