Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:30 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I have to agree with the previous poster about where does one plug in the EV if one lives in an apartment? I live in a house without a driveway and park on the street. The electrical panel is very, very far from the street. And the parking is not guaranteed, so if someone parks in my spot and I have to park way up the street, what do I do about plugging in the car? Lots of problems, as I see it.
What do you do now? You go to the gas station. So go to the charging station instead, or it may be that we have stations where you can quickly swap your car's battery for a fully charged one, just like replacing the propane tank on your backyard grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 12:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I have to agree with the previous poster about where does one plug in the EV if one lives in an apartment? I live in a house without a driveway and park on the street. The electrical panel is very, very far from the street. And the parking is not guaranteed, so if someone parks in my spot and I have to park way up the street, what do I do about plugging in the car? Lots of problems, as I see it.
In hindsight, it was probably wrong to develop transportation the way we did. Humanity will not survive if the single driver paradigm continues indefinitely. Millions of Americans cannot drive for any number of reasons. And live happy lives without cars of any kind! I haven't owned a car in decades. Did it kill me? Obviously not. I am in better shape at 63 than many guys half my age because I have to use my own muscles to get where I need to be.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:16 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
In hindsight, it was probably wrong to develop transportation the way we did. Humanity will not survive if the single driver paradigm continues indefinitely. Millions of Americans cannot drive for any number of reasons. And live happy lives without cars of any kind! I haven't owned a car in decades. Did it kill me? Obviously not. I am in better shape at 63 than many guys half my age because I have to use my own muscles to get where I need to be.

Well, I got run over by a truck in downtown Portland so forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm for being on foot up against thousands of pounds of vehicles... ...until vehicles are not allowed where people are walking... I still don't walk well several years later. Crushing major joints doesn't work out too well.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Well, I got run over by a truck in downtown Portland so forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm for being on foot up against thousands of pounds of vehicles... ...until vehicles are not allowed where people are walking... I still don't walk well several years later. Crushing major joints doesn't work out too well.
I have lived in Portland 12 years this May. 8 years in downtown Hillsboro, and 4 more in close in NE (Lloyds Center). No car. I don't know the circumstances of your unfortunate accident, but to imply that it is an inevitable consequence of living without a car just doesn't fly in the face of the millions of other people that manage to pull it off without incident.

But you are in good company. I work for a church with a 150 people congregation and not one has ever been inside a MAX train or set foot inside a Trimet bus. None of the friends I've made have ever taken Mass transit here. Ever with a capital E. One of the church members, faced with the loss of his license abruptly left his wife of 30 years and moved to another state. One where they wouldn't look too closely at his driving history.

I get it. Car culture is baked in. But it's killing us. Has killed us. Humanity is like the guy in "Kill Bill". When you get the 5 Point Exploding Heart Strike you don't die until you put the foot you weren't standing on, down. At least Bill(?) knew he was doomed. Made peace with it. Humanity, some of us still think there is a way to save ourselves.

I understand why we can't stop driving. I can't understand why we won't stop reproducing. It amounts to premeditated murder. On a horrifically large scale.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:04 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have lived in Portland 12 years this May. 8 years in downtown Hillsboro, and 4 more in close in NE (Lloyds Center). No car. I don't know the circumstances of your unfortunate accident, but to imply that it is an inevitable consequence of living without a car just doesn't fly in the face of the millions of other people that manage to pull it off without incident.

But you are in good company. I work for a church with a 150 people congregation and not one has ever been inside a MAX train or set foot inside a Trimet bus. None of the friends I've made have ever taken Mass transit here. Ever with a capital E. One of the church members, faced with the loss of his license abruptly left his wife of 30 years and moved to another state. One where they wouldn't look too closely at his driving history.

I get it. Car culture is baked in. But it's killing us. Has killed us. Humanity is like the guy in "Kill Bill". When you get the 5 Point Exploding Heart Strike you don't die until you put the foot you weren't standing on, down. At least Bill(?) knew he was doomed. Made peace with it. Humanity, some of us still think there is a way to save ourselves.

I understand why we can't stop driving. I can't understand why we won't stop reproducing. It amounts to premeditated murder. On a horrifically large scale.

They needed to set up all cities based on mass transit. That did not happen. If there were vehicle free areas that is something I could consider.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:37 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Here's something for the EV advocates to mull over....

Putting the brakes on EV folly

By Duggan Flanakin |February 13th, 2022|Energy|0 CommentsBMW CEO Oliver Zipse has a two-word message for those demanding an all-electric vehicle fleet and the outlawing of internal combustion engines. “Slow Down!”

We would add three more. End. The. Mandates.

Of course, this revolutionary technology will be illegal in California and other states that have banned IC engines and thus choked the market. The Omega 1 demonstrates the folly of limiting human ingenuity and our ability to find better solutions than the ones governments want to set in stone as “settled science.”

End. The. Mandates. Now!
Just to be clear - in the US currently - There. Are. No. Mandates.

Europe has a few which is what was being addressed by that CEO.

There are goals but no place in the US has a law mandating all vehicles be EVs on the books. The only thing close to an EV "mandate" is a California law requiring all light-duty autonomous vehicles (AV=self driving) to emit zero emissions starting in 2030. Since AV's are non exist currently and zero emission is possible without being an EV and doesn't go into effect for 8 years, hardly an EV mandate. Everything else is Executive orders which are more intentions, they are not enforceable such as CA plan for all light vehicles be zero emission by 2035 and all by 2045. You only have 13 to 23 years to prepare if these turn into laws.

There are a few manufacturers that have also said they were only going to produce EVs in all new designs - it may be that at some point your only choice will be an EV because that is all that is being manufactured.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I expect plenty of apartment dwellers will be able to do most of their EV charging while they're are at work, at school, out shopping, etc. Charging at home is not the only solution.

With or without any government intervention, this transition is going to take a looong time. Not sure who the BMW CEO is talking about? Perhaps some European countries? I personally prefer that market forces dictate the rate of conversion, and I expect the point of this really accelerating is not too far in the future now.
Until people can charge at home, it's not going to work. I don't work, I don't go to school and I'm really not interested in going shopping to charge my car. I note all of this as a big fan of EV's.

They talk about being able to charge your car as you drive and that will be cool but still far off in the future.

So it's silly to slam others for their choices especially because of empty words of politicians.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Until people can charge at home, it's not going to work. I don't work, I don't go to school and I'm really not interested in going shopping to charge my car. I note all of this as a big fan of EV's.

They talk about being able to charge your car as you drive and that will be cool but still far off in the future.
See post 301 at top of page. Addtionally, there may eventually be charging options for those who park on street, right? It's imaginable, at least for me. In other words, potentially anyone should be able to charge at home.

EVs made up 65% of cars sold in Norway last year, and 90% in December.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Just to be clear - in the US currently - There. Are. No. Mandates.
I know that, I didn't write the article. HOWEVER, some of the blather coming out of Washington, regarding EV "incentives" is borderline mandates. Therefore, there's no need for you to deflect the issue.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:22 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
See post 301 at top of page. Addtionally, there may eventually be charging options for those who park on street, right? It's imaginable, at least for me. In other words, potentially anyone should be able to charge at home.

EVs made up 65% of cars sold in Norway last year, and 90% in December.
Do you really think that a municipality that can't keep the streetlights lit is going to take out bonded debt to install curbside EV chargers (because it's a sure bet that the utility won't do it)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement