Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:46 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you really think that a municipality that can't keep the streetlights lit is going to take out bonded debt to install curbside EV chargers (because it's a sure bet that the utility won't do it)?
The government has just decided to build chargers along major interstates (every 50 miles) and manufacturers of EV's will likely begin to underwrite their cost in urban areas when production gets ramped up. Most EV makers are not even online yet. Tesla has just built 8 chargers in my town, and since I bank nearby, I'll always see one or two cars there charging. Other businesses, like McDonalds, often have a couple in their parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 02:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
See post 301 at top of page. Addtionally, there may eventually be charging options for those who park on street, right? It's imaginable, at least for me. In other words, potentially anyone should be able to charge at home.

EVs made up 65% of cars sold in Norway last year, and 90% in December.
Eventually there may be lots of things......

Old 02-15-2022, 03:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I know that, I didn't write the article. HOWEVER, some of the blather coming out of Washington, regarding EV "incentives" is borderline mandates. Therefore, there's no need for you to deflect the issue.
I am not deflecting anything - you implied that mandates exist and need to be ended. I am against mandates but there are none currently - no need to "end" a mandate that doesn't exist. How can you end something that has not been started.

If EV incentives are "mandates" then oil company incentives must be considered mandates for ICE - an incentive is encouragement for behavior not a "borderline mandate". Also there are no incentives for EVs from Tesla or GM, the two biggest manufacturers of EVs in the US, they ran out years ago. Tesla has also asked that incentives not be continued - they are doing fine without them.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:38 AM

7,849 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Simple solution: Drive your car to the gas station, open cap, and insert fuel nozzle.
Don't forget the lube.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I expect plenty of apartment dwellers will be able to do most of their EV charging while they're are at work...
But what if they work remotely - from their apartment?

Old 02-16-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What do you do now? You go to the gas station. So go to the charging station instead, or it may be that we have stations where you can quickly swap your car's battery for a fully charged one, just like replacing the propane tank on your backyard grill.
By then, you go to your car and discover that overnight thieves have stolen your removable car battery, leaving you high in dry.

That's in the future, of course, and by then gasoline might be delivered to my ICE via a drone - no need to go to the gas station.

You don't make a purchase decision on what a product and related infrastructure might be like in 20 years; you make a purchase decision about what product and infrastructure is in place today.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 02-16-2022 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Just to be clear - in the US currently - There. Are. No. Mandates.
Oh, but arguing via straw man is so much fun!

Old 02-16-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
EVs made up 65% of cars sold in Norway last year, and 90% in December.
Yeah, but Norwegians actually enjoy Lutefisk:

Quote:
With a distinctive odor and gelatinous texture, lutefisk is definitely an acquired taste. It's a form of whitefish (traditionally cod) that is air dried until hard. Then, the fish is softened by soaking it in water and lye before consuming.

Generally speaking, people say Lutefisk tastes mildly fishy, with a soapy aftertaste and a hint of ammonia on the palate.
https://www.mashed.com/197530/what-d..._campaign=clip

Old 02-16-2022, 08:54 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default US: EV Chargers Will Outnumber Gas Stations Soon

US: EV Chargers Will Outnumber Gas Stations Soon
This refers to the number of charging stalls compared to individual fuel pumps and they are already very close.

https://insideevs.com/news/567694/ch...stations-soon/

"The charging station infrastructure in the United States will soon catch up to and surpass traditional fuel stations for the number of individual pumps, or charging stalls. There are currently between 110,000 - 150,000 fuel pumps and the number of individual chargers is around 110,000, according to Jerry insurance"

Old 02-16-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
US: EV Chargers Will Outnumber Gas Stations Soon
This refers to the number of charging stalls compared to individual fuel pumps and they are already very close.
I presume the count you reference includes one Level 2 charger I used for my plug-in hybrid vehicle while parked at Costco last week (right next to the Tire Center).

First I filled the gas tank, and then parked & plugged in the charger & authorized it with my credit card.

After shopping for an hour or so, I returned to my car and discovered the amount of charge was negligible - the charger is 120 volt rather than 240 volt. They did this on purpose, of course. They charge a per-plug-in fee of 30 cents plus a credit card transaction fee (I forgot how much) and a very obscure amount per unit of power transferred to my car (which was rather low on battery). It was my first time using a commercial plug-in stall.

After an hour of shopping inside Costco, I returned to my car, removed the charger, and the display on the device said I was being charged at total of 37 cents -- the 30 cents fixed fee plus 5 cents transaction fee plus 2 cents of power transferred to my vehicle.

Two bleeping cents of power at an indeterminate $-per-kWh.

I'd never use it again, of course. It is in my view pretty darn close to a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement