Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 09:46 AM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Does it really make sense to post information online, and then say it is no one's business?

You are grieving your decision to quit your job and retire (and then later your dogs passing, which I am very sorry for). How long do you think you should let that grief affect your happiness?
My thought exactly.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:03 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You are grieving your decision to quit your job and retire (and then later your dogs passing, which I am very sorry for). How long do you think you should let that grief affect your happiness?
Since my pet passed away just days ago, I'll cut myself some slack.

Wow.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:09 AM

795 posts, read 1,010,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
For me, I realize that there are lots of bad things that could happen to us. But we are going to do our best to not live in fear of them happening. And if they do, we will just deal with them the best we can.

Going to try to enjoy whatever time we have left.
Well said, agree with this.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:10 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Wow.

I was talking about your repeated posts about the grief of your decision to quit your job and retire.

Do not try to turn it into something else.

You had two options to choose from, and you liked neither. You chose one and continue to not like it. My point being, you probably need to find a way to be happy, but you seem more inclined to continue in your unhappiness. Of course I don't KNOW that, just what you post, and of that, the stuff I have run across.

You may have tried all kinds of hobbies and activities? You may be going on job interviews to get back out there?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-02-2022, 10:15 AM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Wow.
Look. I have lost two pets as a grown adult. My BF has lost 2 since I have known him. I think I even took a sick day from work after each. I cried for DAYS afterward. Weeks. My sister's BF just lost his dog that was probably the most attached, the strongest bond that I have ever seen between a man and a dog. He was even considering therapy at one point. But he never even missed a day of work so he did better than me. Life continues.

You know that I lost both of my parents in 2020, 5 weeks apart. It STILL moves me to tears, out of the blue.
But it certainly does not keep me from enjoying life. You get past it and you carry on.

You can either continue, or at least TRY to continue, and get past it, or you can stomp your feet and keep digging that hole. No one else is going to dig you out but you.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:32 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
The worst thing that I could face in retirement would not being able to take care of my animals, whether physically, financially, or mentally due to some illness like Alzheimers. I am by nature a nurturer and a caretaker. I took care of my late husband during his final illness. I then took charge of my Mom's care when she got Alzheimers and was her medical and financial POA until her death. It almost felt like it was a mission in my life (among other duties). But having my animals, which I chose to care for, is a central part of my existence and a great part of my everyday joy. Not being able to take care of them properly would be devastating to me.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:37 AM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
I haven't thought a lot about that, but it might be concern that I won't be able to control my mind well like I can currently. I do have regret about some key decisions in life that went much different than they should have. I can regulate those thoughts now, but if I lose that, they could really work against me.

A secondary concern would be having some type of ailment that would impact working, because I think I'll need to work until age 70!

Old 02-02-2022, 10:56 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,085,411 times
Being able to adequately care for a disabled and/or suffering spouse as my own health declines. My second biggest fear is my spouse having to care for a suffering or disabled ME as her health declines.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:01 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unless something better than Aducanumab snake oil shows up, my outlook based on family medical history with both my parents is that I’ll be in memory care crapping in an adult diaper 20 years from now.

Not necessarily. Earlier age Alzheimer's appears genetically linked, but later age maybe not- later age not always Alzheimer's-form of dementia and related to alcohol, blood pressure and other manageable factors. Of course if my parents had had dementia, I'd worry about it, for sure, but it's not a slam dunk.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unless something better than Aducanumab snake oil shows up, my outlook based on family medical history with both my parents is that I’ll be in memory care crapping in an adult diaper 20 years from now.
I'll never forget watching a video from years ago about a woman who videoed her mother with Alzheimers before and after she started her on a regimen of eating a bowl of coconut flakes daily, I'll never forget her transformation. So many foods out there can provide a medical benefit where science cannot help, but that is so subjective, and oft times prone to failure, that many never even try this approach.

But if I'm gonna be slobbering on myself and forget my own name, I'm stocking up on coconut flakes. (I can't remember the name but you'll get from coconut the same thing that babies get from their mother's milk, something that helps protect a baby's vulnerable immune system, and I believe the fats in coconut are really good for the brain.) There are superfoods, and coconut is near the very top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.