Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 10:36 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times

Advertisements

I had a great job from age 20-27 that was ideal for my then-existing depression. Painless job.

I've had jobs I hated because of the toxic environment for doing the work.

Except for my job in my 20s, I have never wanted to work but didn't hate the job, just didn't want to have to work to live.

I went back in my 40s to the job of my 20s and everything had changed and I hated it for the three months I was there. "You can't go home again."

I like retirement more than I ever liked any job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:39 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a great job from age 20-27 that was ideal for my then-existing depression. Painless job.

I've had jobs I hated because of the toxic environment for doing the work.

Except for my job in my 20s, I have never wanted to work but didn't hate the job, just didn't want to have to work to live.

I went back in my 40s to the job of my 20s and everything had changed and I hated it for the three months I was there. "You can't go home again."

I like retirement more than I ever liked any job.
Ditto!

Old 02-01-2022, 11:09 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
I only had one job I really hated and it was evident from day 1 that the job description had been misrepresented. The job required little of the required experience posted and it was therefore boring. I immediately went to the administrator and told her not to pay the agency fee (for placing me) because I would not be staying.

I called the head hunter and told him to find me another job. He did. And it was a wonderful placement at a major corporation.

There were some positions I like more than others but generally, absent that one miss, I loved my varied and interesting career. I loved the ever-changing challenges of solving problems and finding solutions to new situations. The company moved me into many different departments and divisions so that I was always learning new skills and meeting new challenges.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:29 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
One thing I learned was a good boss, bad company was a good job. Bad boss, good company was a bad job.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:33 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
I've only hated the most recent ones (past 10 years). Sign of the times.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Did you hate every job you had?

Nope, not at all. I worked at Savings & Loans from 1979-1983, and I always said that if I won the lottery and wanted to keep from getting bored I'd get a job at a bank. The pay for underlings at banks is appalling, but lots of pretty young girls and the work is staggeringly light.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One thing I learned was a good boss, bad company was a good job. Bad boss, good company was a bad job.
I can't think of any jobs I hated except customer service. I just couldn't get through to some people. I was made a customer service supervisor so I got all the complaints the reps couldn't handle. After about 2 weeks I smashed my phone on the desk and went up to HR to tell them I couldn't take it any more. They were nice and gave me a job as a bad check collector which I enjoyed.

I learned early on it was my responsibility to handle my bosses and co-workers. I think most of the stress on a job comes from people rather than the actual work. Good bosses are better than bad bosses, but they are pretty rare. For me the ultimate good was a boss that left me alone to do my job. I always found the less contact with bosses, the better. One boss passed me on the stairwell and didn't see me and asked a coworker where I was. My coworker said to me "You always did have the ability to blend into the woodwork".

I always did my best at work so that in itself was rewarding, the knowledge I was good at the job. In my 40's I actually got a job I loved and did it until I retired. But I never lost sight of the fact that I was working a job to earn money. When I could finally earn enough money by being retired and not working, I took it. Regardless of how much I enjoyed my job, getting paid without working is better.

Last edited by bobspez; 02-01-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 01:36 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I'm (hopefully) around a decade out from retirement, and looking back at the various jobs that I've had, I haven't liked any of them at all. They've all consisted of waking up way too early, going somewhere I don't want to be, doing stressful things that I don't care about, and wearing a fake smile while putting up with unpleasant moods and attitudes from different bosses and coworkers. I've had to "bite my tongue" many times during my career and have hated having to hold back what I've really thought.

I'm looking forward to retirement so that I won't have to put up with other people's crap and spend the majority of my waking hours under the thumb of some crappy boss. For those who are retired, have you actually had a job that you've liked going to? I've had all sorts of jobs, low-paying and high-paying, and it hasn't happened for me. I'm really looking forward to not working.
I hated a few of the jobs I had when I was younger, mostly because I wasn't respected because of my youth. However, I was very fortunate to love the jobs I had in the last couple decades of my working life.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
Of the 8 full-time jobs I held in 32 adult years I hated 3 of them, but they only accounted for less than 2 1/2 years in total. If I really disliked a job I looked for the exit pretty quick. But the last one I "hated" (disliked really, and for only 9 months) that I quit led to 3 1/2 years of under-employment & unemployment that was really awful, much worse than any of the "bad" jobs.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:59 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
While doing technical writing (2 years, two companies) I was desperately miserable before lunch. Hated the work, hated working days, hated it all. Really surprised me, as I thought I'd like the professional environment away from my RN jobs. I was bored to tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement