Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:50 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,491 times

Advertisements

loved the work - mechanical contractor but hated the recent new hires who thought they knew everything without ever being in the field and the customers who hired college kids and the thing they knew was how to write stop notices or say that not right or this is the right way to do something

i got so bad just retired - not worth the energy to try to teach kids anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 09:50 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
I also enjoyed working the overnight shift. No bosses, no meetings, no politics, no dress code, no BS, just work and go home. Finding my niche was essential to enjoying the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I solved your problems at age 15, when I escaped from Dairy Farm Boarding School
1) Didn't like getting up at 4:30 AM
2) Going to school smelling like manure
3) Must be home by 4:30pm (7days / week x 365)
4) No breaks, no future, but stayed in good shape and well fed.

Then @ age 15, I started working 3 jobs, night shift and weekends. for next 34 yrs
1) No bosses on night shift (Only axe murderers and alcoholics work nights, just ask my day shift boss)
2) No Crybaby day-shifters (This was GREAT)
3) More pay!! (Moved my retirement up 15+ yrs)
4) No time to spend $$$ (Social suicide shift)

I had a couple miserable assignments, but they were short lived (<6months) and job(s) were generally very fun and creative. I did several international gigs, they were more fun (paid to travel).

It's up to you to find (and enjoy) your spot.
Do it now!

Old 02-02-2022, 10:34 AM

489 posts, read 887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I'm (hopefully) around a decade out from retirement, and looking back at the various jobs that I've had, I haven't liked any of them at all. They've all consisted of waking up way too early, going somewhere I don't want to be, doing stressful things that I don't care about, and wearing a fake smile while putting up with unpleasant moods and attitudes from different bosses and coworkers. I've had to "bite my tongue" many times during my career and have hated having to hold back what I've really thought.

I'm looking forward to retirement so that I won't have to put up with other people's crap and spend the majority of my waking hours under the thumb of some crappy boss. For those who are retired, have you actually had a job that you've liked going to? I've had all sorts of jobs, low-paying and high-paying, and it hasn't happened for me. I'm really looking forward to not working.
Yes. I can't think of any one I loved. I had some good coworkers with whom I still keep in touch. I still have 20+ years to go. There's not even a light at the end of the tunnel yet for me. I got tired of corporate America after just a few years in. I've trudged on ever since. I've changed industries and jobs--probably had 15+ jobs since I was 16. It's all the same and boils down to exactly what you said---waking up early to go somewhere I don't want to be, doing work I don't want to do with people I don't care about. I don't have a filter, so keeping my mouth shut is a huge challenge. I'm glad to see there are others out there that just made it through and simply didn't like working. Plenty to do outside of work--travel, reading, watching tv, researching topics online, hobbies, etc. After I hit 40, I think I officially quit giving a crap about most things.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post

After that job, I always went out of my way to be kind to any operator I called at any company. I knew what they put up with everyday.

Yes. I hear people sometimes gloat about how they torment unwanted callers and I know how bad the job is and how people have to be desperate to have that job and am always civil.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:12 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Nah, I've had some cool jobs!

Old 02-02-2022, 06:27 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
This made me laugh. I worked in a call center once and it was one of the worst jobs ever. I hated even going in the building. The callers yelled at you, called you names, the management sucked, the pay was terrible, no union. On breaks, people only talked about the rotten callers and their desire to quit and do something else. I saw lots of people quit with no notice. They just walked out or stopped showing up. So many people went to lunch and never came back that it became a company joke. "I'm going to lunch!" was what people said, and the joke was that they may or may not come back.
The job I quit after four hours was in customer service. I had worked at a call center before -- people called with problems and I actually liked helping them. I didn't have to sell them anything.

The job I quit after four hours was making outbound calls to previous or potential buyers of the companies products. That was the part I hated.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:02 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Yes, I hated every single job I had, without exception.

The more money I earned, the more I hated the job.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:15 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
That must be a very sad way to go through life.

I've been with my job for close to 32 years. I guess I like it!

Old 02-03-2022, 08:50 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
I've only had 2 jobs that I hated. Unfortunately, the one I have now is one of them. But I didn't always hate THIS job. But my company changed ownership, and I got a new boss, and it went downhill from there.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:40 AM

489 posts, read 887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
That must be a very sad way to go through life.
It is, but what are you going to do? Your hobbies and passions don't always equate to making a living wage. Even tolerable jobs eventually become intolerable--management changes, organizational restructuring/buyouts, job duties changing, coworkers, internal politics, etc.

If you're one that craves freedom and autonomy, it makes it extremely difficult being happy in any organization. I wished I'd learned a skill that enabled me to be self-employed as some type of consultant where I could choose clients, set my hours within reason, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement