Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 09:44 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,965,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
It is, but what are you going to do? Your hobbies and passions don't always equate to making a living wage. Even tolerable jobs eventually become intolerable--management changes, organizational restructuring/buyouts, job duties changing, coworkers, internal politics, etc.

If you're one that craves freedom and autonomy, it makes it extremely difficult being happy in any organization. I wished I'd learned a skill that enabled me to be self-employed as some type of consultant where I could choose clients, set my hours within reason, etc.
With a skill you could be happy within an organization. Highly skilled employees are generally left alone to do their jobs. They get a good salary and preferential treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 09:56 AM

490 posts, read 888,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
With a skill you could be happy within an organization. Highly skilled employees are generally left alone to do their jobs. They get a good salary and preferential treatment.
That was supposed to be here. Many things I was told I'd have influence over, I do not. My boss generally leaves me alone, and I work independently; however, there are lots of redundant, time-consuming procedures I've tried to get changed. Any suggestions I make fall on deaf ears.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,965,856 times
Quote:
That was supposed to be here. Many things I was told I'd have influence over, I do not. My boss generally leaves me alone, and I work independently; however, there are lots of redundant, time-consuming procedures I've tried to get changed. Any suggestions I make fall on deaf ears.
Why beat a dead horse? You are left alone, so why make waves? Why influence anything? I always had the least possible contact with any boss. Over the years I noticed that those who had contact with the boss were like moths around a flame, they always got burned. I did my job and was left alone. No one knew the details of what I did but as long as things went well, no one cared and didn't want to know. I got to make my own hours to avoid rush hour. I took long walks every day at lunch time. Sometimes a friend would call me and we would duck out to a little restaurant for scones and coffee in the afternoon. Whenever something went wrong I fixed it and people were grateful. I made a good living and felt like I was running my own one man company. When I retired a bright young college graduate learned my job in about 2 hours on my last day, and I was off to my retirement luncheon.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:05 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
The job I quit after four hours was in customer service. I had worked at a call center before -- people called with problems and I actually liked helping them. I didn't have to sell them anything.

The job I quit after four hours was making outbound calls to previous or potential buyers of the companies products. That was the part I hated.

I forgot about a temp job I had, working in a call center for GE Capitol Mortgage. It was awful on so many levels. LOL

The company (General Electric) had decided to get in the mortgage business. They hired a bunch of people to work their call center (a bunch of temps, of which I was one). I happened to have a mortgage background, but most of us did not. We did, however, have a week's worth of training on different aspects of mortgage stuff. I happened to be one of the better 'operators' because I had a mortgage background already...but even I didn't know EVERYTHING and people would call and ask really complicated questions to which I did not have answers. I lasted about a month. LOL

Old 02-03-2022, 03:50 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,725,868 times
Quote:
It is, but what are you going to do?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.â€

Old 02-03-2022, 05:17 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
I'm 73 still working full time and I love my job. I could quit today if I wanted to but I don't want to.

I design fire sprinkler systems which is like a video game to me something I have been doing for 46 years now.

I have an office in the upstairs spare bedroom and 60% to 70% of my time is spent at home the other 30% of my time is spent at the office and I am required to visit job sites to insure the job is going in per my drawings.

I use AutoCad for my drawings and if new construction I will simply get AutoCad background drawings from the architect but if it is a retrofit on an existing building I have to do a survey.

Jere's the kicker my job is 800 miles south of home so I do commute. Typically I spend three weeks at home followed by a 12 hour south where I spend a week to ten days in the warm sunny south. Rinse, repeat I have been doing this for nearly 5 years now and plan to do it for at least a few years more.

Company pays for the car and gas so I really don't mind as I always enjoyed driving a lot anyway. I have a small travel trailer down there which is perfect for us and my wife often travels south with me so I always have great company.

Been home up north for ten days now and see us heading south again in about another ten days. Back and forth we go.

For 20 of my years I owned my own company and I didn't like it. Oh sure, I made more money but I didn't like the stress of making payroll for 10 guys every week and everything that went along with it. I am technical in nature and I would rather do what i do even if the money is half of what I used to make because I don't need the money and being on the tech side is fun.

I'm pretty much my own boss because we are a highly regulated industry and I am the only one in the company that has the certification. I'm an employee with zero ownership yet the company licenses for four states are in my name. They need me.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:06 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Can't say I've hated my work. Some jobs and I've loved and couldn't believe they paid me to do them. Others, the work was good, but the boss was a piece of ... something. Hated a few bosses and hated going to work under them. But not the work itself. But for the most of my working years, nope, haven't hated anything.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:26 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,934,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I'm (hopefully) around a decade out from retirement, and looking back at the various jobs that I've had, I haven't liked any of them at all. They've all consisted of waking up way too early, going somewhere I don't want to be, doing stressful things that I don't care about, and wearing a fake smile while putting up with unpleasant moods and attitudes from different bosses and coworkers. I've had to "bite my tongue" many times during my career and have hated having to hold back what I've really thought.

I'm looking forward to retirement so that I won't have to put up with other people's crap and spend the majority of my waking hours under the thumb of some crappy boss. For those who are retired, have you actually had a job that you've liked going to? I've had all sorts of jobs, low-paying and high-paying, and it hasn't happened for me. I'm really looking forward to not working.
I guess I was pretty lucky, I worked for great managers, and with talented co-workers. Every time I left to move onward and upward it was like leaving family. The last 20 years I worked for world class engineering groups in automotive and in aerospace and although it was very hard work, it was a fantastic way to close out my career. Consider myself very lucky to have ever gotten those opportunities.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:25 PM

14,409 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I'm (hopefully) around a decade out from retirement, and looking back at the various jobs that I've had, I haven't liked any of them at all. They've all consisted of waking up way too early, going somewhere I don't want to be, doing stressful things that I don't care about, and wearing a fake smile while putting up with unpleasant moods and attitudes from different bosses and coworkers. I've had to "bite my tongue" many times during my career and have hated having to hold back what I've really thought.

I'm looking forward to retirement so that I won't have to put up with other people's crap and spend the majority of my waking hours under the thumb of some crappy boss. For those who are retired, have you actually had a job that you've liked going to? I've had all sorts of jobs, low-paying and high-paying, and it hasn't happened for me. I'm really looking forward to not working.
I feel sorry for you.

I've been self employed as a lawyer for thirty-seven years and absolutely love 95% of it. My greatest concern right now is whether emotionally I can stand to give it all up in a year or so when I retire.

I've gotten a great satisfaction over the years solving problems for other people. I guess I am good at what I do because I make a good living at it.

I do think many people should look towards a career where they can be self-employed when they are young. I can see how bosses and managers could ruin the work experience for many people. I just wish more young people were educated to think in those terms when they go through school and college.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:46 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,092 times
I was ready for retirement since I was 13, but still working. Some places were good, others bad, worst were ones with lots of hypocrisy - environmental science and high-visibility non-profit organizations. Changed four careers, had fun, and now I'm thinking of dong something totally different and more meaningful before I pay off my mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement