Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:12 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times

Advertisements

Didn't hate any of the various jobs I held (as in, dreading to go to work every day),
but none were really fulfilling either. The filling-in-time-while-looking-for-something-better
jobs actually were more honest, because there was no need to pretend that the job was
anything more than a way to pay the rent (and no need to wear suit & tie).
Mostly I did what was expected, and occasionally went a bit beyond the call of duty.

Probably had good luck, over the years, as to quality of bosses -- most were not-bad,
and even the few bad ones weren't awful.

But if I could be young again, I'd do everything differently, in hopes of finding likeable work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 06:20 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Hated a few. Waiting tables.. Hated that worse than throwong phone phone books, or bowlimg pin-setter or wheeling cement.

Loved a few. TEFL. Census Bureau

Old 02-04-2022, 06:38 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm telling you, for me - the guy who always liked to work and always hustled - self employment was wonderful.

I'm a big fan of people who make their own jobs.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 3,428 times
Nope. I disliked going to any job I ever had.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:53 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
gosh.... I only worked two jobs in my whole life ( one for 34 years ) and I loved
both of them . I wasn't crazy about waking up early , but the job itself , a
reading teacher , was wonderful .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-04-2022, 08:54 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I forgot about a temp job I had, working in a call center for GE Capitol Mortgage. It was awful on so many levels. LOL

The company (General Electric) had decided to get in the mortgage business. They hired a bunch of people to work their call center (a bunch of temps, of which I was one). I happened to have a mortgage background, but most of us did not. We did, however, have a week's worth of training on different aspects of mortgage stuff. I happened to be one of the better 'operators' because I had a mortgage background already...but even I didn't know EVERYTHING and people would call and ask really complicated questions to which I did not have answers. I lasted about a month. LOL
On a similar note, everyone who ever worked for Wells Fargo hated it. Those who actually tried to help people ended up getting fired for not meeting their quotas.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:41 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Nope, didn't hate every job I had.

I remember one in particular, the first year, I couldn't wait to get to work each day, I was so excited by the technology and what I was learning. Instead of getting pigeonholed, I got to work on a variety of products, and worked with all levels in the company. So long ago, but an excellent memory.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Nope, I worked in electric power plants, coal and nuclear. Enjoyed it, always lots of challenges, satisfying to solve them.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:04 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
I had just one job that I really did not like. After 4.5 years I was laid off and shouted for joy at the news.
I have to wonder about never having a job you liked however. How is it possible it was always the bosses fault? My experience tells me it’s a two way street.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
I'm (hopefully) around a decade out from retirement, and looking back at the various jobs that I've had, I haven't liked any of them at all. They've all consisted of waking up way too early, going somewhere I don't want to be, doing stressful things that I don't care about, and wearing a fake smile while putting up with unpleasant moods and attitudes from different bosses and coworkers. I've had to "bite my tongue" many times during my career and have hated having to hold back what I've really thought.

I'm looking forward to retirement so that I won't have to put up with other people's crap and spend the majority of my waking hours under the thumb of some crappy boss. For those who are retired, have you actually had a job that you've liked going to? I've had all sorts of jobs, low-paying and high-paying, and it hasn't happened for me. I'm really looking forward to not working.
If I had hated every job up to a certain point in time, I would have either looked deeply at my own shortcomings to determine what’s wrong with me or, kept looking for another job that I would enjoy.

I had some great jobs and some crappy ones but, jobs were just a means to an end. I worked to live but was fortunate to find my little niche where I didn’t have a manager on my shoulder 95% of the time. My longtime manager trusted me to do my job, work whatever hours necessary, manage my priorities, never let him get surprised by an issue and, accept, own and learn from any failures or bad decisions on my part. The guy who succeeded him worked with me for years prior to his promotion and almost never called or emailed except when he needed something.

In fact, the only ones who dislike me where those several hundred employees that I helped start new careers outside of our company. That’s what happens to people who steal and then try to cover it up. Several were even prosecuted and convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement