Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
MSN ranks AZ number 25 out of 50 States... right in the middle

Here is a link...

The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money
ugh... and WA at #9, WITHOUT considering the high property tax...

shoot me, now ###--->>>

but the climate... ALL choices,,, in fact, Rain Forest to low precip (Sequim) and even mega snow, just within the upper peninsula, and you still have 90% of the rest of the state to 'find-your-spot'. No tropical, yet and a bit short on sunlight in the winter as a state overall average. I guess the long summer days should help that out... but really, Alaska has some pretty decent climates in (a few) places. (I don't do heat, ...or stoplights)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-01-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
MSN ranks AZ number 25 out of 50 States... right in the middle

Here is a link...

The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money
That seems to be up-to-date - its got the increased MD sales tax rate. Interesting how the tax rankings sort out - some states that don't tax your income end up haveing a much higher overall tax bite.

Goes to show you - 1st choose your spot for what you want out of life, then look at the $$$.

Some of the western states have widely varying climates depending on proximity to the ocean, elevation, the wet or dry side of mountains, etc. The climate can vary in the flat states but not by a lot. It's a bit more varied in the east but not as dramatically as the western states.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Hawaii is a nice, beautiful place to visit, but living there...very expensive, can't find a decent place to live under $750,000, termites a super big problem, humid most of the time, and once you've driven around an island once or twice, you've seen it all. Plus if you want to get out and visit other states or relatives, it's a long row boat ride to get there. If you're young, have some money and like to scuba, ride the waves etal, that's great, but retiring, that's another whole ball game. Oh, no big sports teams either.
AZ has 5-6 months of ideal weather, the taxes are about average, there are a million things to do or go see, you're close to the beach if you want to have a change once in awhile, the people are friendly, helpful, the heat you get use too, no tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, volcanos about to erupt, very little humidity which is in the summer only. The Phoenix Police dept has one of the highest ratings for excellent police dept in the country. And there are no redneck cops in AZ. Someone has been watching too many John Wayne movies.
BTW it's ARIZONA, not arizonia.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
So...I'm thinking Alabama.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So...I'm thinking Alabama.
Check out Tennessee while you're so close, it gets a favorable rating for costs, with a better climate and less damaging storms (or at least a few more choices of climate, instead of 'really hot and really muggy', just 'pretty hot and sorta muggy')

I like rural areas within a shout of Chattanooga or Knoxville.

I'll be paying extra for my desire to be near a college(10 min) and an airport. (within 30 min)

Old 06-05-2008, 07:55 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Due to a hip surgery/replacement and surgery on my shoulder/rotary cup (fall in snow/ice in Parker, CO, we had to move. When a person gets into their late 50's and above, a fall in winter weather can produce a lot of pain, perhaps surgery and not total recovery. I still feel some pain in hip and shoulder when the weather changes here (NC). Many people, like my brother/his wife and my wife's friend/her husband have two homes......a summer home and a winter home. Wish we could afford that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hmmm...am I the only one here who wants to retire to a cold climate? Not the humid kind, but I do miss snow, winters, and cold weather. Coartist88 may be the closest to that, being in PA.

Is it for health reasons, that people who are retiring head to warmer climes? Health reasons are of course part of why I am looking for a less humid climate..but seems like no one is too eager to live where there are harsh winters. Maybe, from what I remember living in winter wonderlands, I wasn't actually the person doing the snow shoveling!

Any opinions as to why most people prefer consisently warmclimate as opposed to the four seasons? (Other than for health reason)

Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
We are not yet retired, so we must live close enough to jobs. We also love boating (as you notice in our name), so we also want either a nice lake or Intercoastal waters close to where we live. We left the Denver, Colorado area because the winters there were getting to us (at our age...59/60) and my surgeries that I already posted about. We are currently just north of Charlotte, NC and the even the "mild" winter we just went thru is a little to much for my hip/shoulder to handle and now the high temp/humidity is too much. We are looking at moving to northeast Florida at the end of this year or eary next. We know that it can get "somewhat" cold in JAX in the winter, but it would still be better than Colorado or Charlotte......we believe. And, we also know that FL gets hot and humid, but there is just no "perfect" place that is cheap and has everything an older couple might want. Even with some pain my hip/shoulder can get, we still love getting out on water and it gives us the exercise we definitely need.
There is just NO perfect place to live: inexpensive, great weather, low crime, lower population/traffic. So, people have to pick a place where there is most of what you want. As I also stated in a previous posting, sure wish we had the money to have TWO homes like some folks do.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Some of the western states have widely varying climates depending on proximity to the ocean, elevation, the wet or dry side of mountains, etc. The climate can vary in the flat states but not by a lot. It's a bit more varied in the east but not as dramatically as the western states.

That is very true. I guess it has to do with The Rocky Mountain divide or something. States like Oregon are so totally different from East to West.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-07-2008, 06:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

That is very true. I guess it has to do with The Rocky Mountain divide or something. States like Oregon are so totally different from East to West.
Almost right. The mountains are big in the west so they really wring out the moisture in the air. On the east side, the air flows downhill a lot and that dries and heats it up. I remember summer in Reno meant my cuticles cracked and bled because it was so dry. Elevation makes a huge difference in the weather. It can be blistering hot in the sea level valleys but cool to cold up high. You get some of the same effects out of the Appalachians but not as dramatic since they are much lower. Of course the Great Plains states literally have the worst weather in the world. More tornadoes there than anywhere else, heat, cold, blizzards, humid hot, hot summers, and lots of severe thunderstorms, plus the occasional hurricane just to mix it up. Meteorologists love it tho because the weather is so interesting.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Yeah, although in Oregon the mountains are the Cascades - Wet on one side (rainforest in some areas) and dry desert on the other.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement