Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 10:44 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

Making a decision for a relocation, the author made a list of reasons why to stay, reasons to relocate. Seeing what she wrote, helped her make a decision.

Do you sometimes write out your thoughts about decisions; journal; write out your feelings about people, places ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 12:04 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I have kept journals where - among other things - I write down my thoughts about any decisions I might need to make, new people in my life, my travels and other experiences. I don't censor myself. What I write down is sheer stream of consciousness.

My journaling has become essential for me because when I go back and read whatever my initial response was to a person or a situation, I was almost always right on. It's like I know what's in my own heart, but if I overthink things and agonize over pros and cons, I forget what I already know to be true.

Writing things down is very helpful - to me anyway.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:38 PM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
I have kept journals since I was 10 years old. I still have them. I also still journal every night. And I have book and travel journals also. I love reading back over them.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:53 PM

43,098 posts, read 18,269,535 times
I do both journaling and write lists.

Journaling for thoughts, plans, goals, etc.
Lists for to-do items especially on the weekend when I stay home.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:23 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I make lists all the time. Today I had to go to the DR at 1: So walk 10.50,brief nap Feed dogs 11.50, Dress 12.10 Leave 12.30.
And I want to go to church tonight so when home from the DR. computer 2:45 shave 4.05 dress 415, Leave 5.05

Old 06-10-2022, 05:05 AM

417 posts, read 455,535 times
I used to make lists (writing them down) of things to do which could be longterm or shortterm.
Somehow I got away from that, and have sometimes tried to do a list on my phone.
I find that nothing works as well as having the physical list (as in on paper).
I am starting to do it more and more.
I have never really journaled, and I have never been able to process decisions that way either - you know, listing the pro and con for something.
I do find it extremely helpful to keep track of what needs to be done or what I want done.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:26 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Making a decision for a relocation, the author made a list of reasons why to stay, reasons to relocate. Seeing what she wrote, helped her make a decision.

Do you sometimes write out your thoughts about decisions; journal; write out your feelings about people, places ?
We did this with our last move. Made a list of pros and cons. Seeing it on paper helped us make our decision.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:55 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I never journal but I do make lists, for me and my husband. He really likes working off lists.

And yes, every time I moved I made lists of pros and cons.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:03 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

As an engineering manager I was taught an analytical method of decision analysis: Kepner-Tregoe decision analysis.

https://www.decision-making-confiden...on-making.html

By separating musts from wants, you can quickly narrow down potential paths. I used it many times for both professional and personal decisions.

The advantage is that it saves a huge amount of time and it forces you to filter out the noise.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Just yesterday I was working on an Excel spreadsheet to rate the places we may move to when we downsize next year. I have columns that include city, median home price, annual rainfall, average summer high and winter low, population, crime rating, and distance from family. I was very surprised to see the high crime in some small cities that we had considered as possibilities. It definitely helped eliminate some. The main advantage is being able to compare them easily, and narrow it down after eliminating the outliers, such as 78.7 property crime (1 is best). oddly, we found that our current city has by far the highest home prices, most rain, warmest summers, and coldest winters, but lowest crime.

Then I keep a "to do" list for myself, with household tasks such as yard work, house repairs/painting, and my hobbies such as things to buy for the classic car restoration project. Currently on the list I have several auto parts to buy, installing a barn door that I made, weeding some back yard areas, scrubbing down our travel trailer, and "spring cleaning up" on my 60 or so bonsai trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement