Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 02:19 PM

114 posts, read 334,779 times

Advertisements

A bit of an interesting thought. Retirements shifting and some activities changing during pandemic.
Nature and green space activities were going up already before the virus hit.
http://https://saddlebrookecommunity...rement-places/
Now some more popular again because they are outdoors. The article in our area talked briefly about how it is starting to affect rankings for best retirement places. Do you think trend will hold or passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 03:26 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddd View Post
Now some more popular again because they are outdoors. The article in our area talked briefly about how it is starting to affect rankings for best retirement places. Do you think trend will hold or passing.
Will the trend continue? Where's my crystal ball when I need it? Some people will continue to pursue outdoor activities after the pandemic eases and others won't.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Broken link? (Double https?)
This is what I found by searching.
https://saddlebrookecommunity.wordpr...rement-places/
Sounds fine for many (We go to Tucson often and stay with a few friends at Oro Valley, Del Webb. a nice area as well, one friend has a home on an arroyo point with no other homes in sight, just a lot of wildlife and mtns in background. I don't find Tucson climate (and brown-ness) as a year round favorite, but it is better than some places. We pay a price for GREEN (In the PNW, we_tside = 100+ inches of drizzle / yr, but outside everyday, nearly all day.

Being a lifelong farmer.... Life would have been quite different (and terrible) sequestered 'inside'.

Since I needed to earn a living to support my farming habit, I worked night shift (often truck driving in mtns) and homeschooled / farmed / built homes during daylight.

I think 'health and active lifestyle' will be a lasting outcome (since USA HC is so pathetic and now understaffed and certainly under educated in healthy lifestyles!).

It would be a good idea to get rid of the cars and start walking / riding bikes as many of the healthy countries do.
I'm a terrible example, as I don't like riding bikes in the rain, so after my move from Colorado (Where biking is excellent year round), My bike has hung in the garage (for 30+ yrs). Took it bike camping a few times, and on an east coast trip.

I swim a lot (at least a mile/day) so I probably need a community where I could swim canals for doing errands. Bangkok is a bit gross for swimming in the canals, as is Venice, and San Antonio!

I expect VR and AI to bring a lot of exercise focus into the home. There is a lot of technology / sensors with feedback that may have to replace a good ole common sense Dr. I haven't found any of those recently.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:55 AM

114 posts, read 334,779 times
Sorry about broken link. I think it ended up with the double https when I used site tool and pasted in. Tool has https already on it, so i guess i should have adjusted the copy.

The article is listed on the home page under news section toward bottom. Couple other articles about nature and green space trends also
https://saddlebrookecommunity.wordpress.com/

I hear you on green of the NW. Came from NW and upper rockies. One of the main reasons we ended up here was it sits higher than Oro Valley or Phoenix valley floor. Found them to be too brown and flat for us. Higher elevation means we get many more trees and green. Need it for my mental wellness

You mentioned indoor VR exercise trends also. During pandemic when public gyms not so desirable, found virtual program to use for home cardio machines. Zwift. Really helped to keep interest. And the ability to interact with real people from all around the world helped keep some people interactions.
One of the retirement communities here invested in high tech air flirtation systems for the gyms and all the buildings.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
On the contrary, our very low crime area has recently become the target of car prowlers that specialize in parking area at trailheads. We used to go hiking a lot, as much as 2-3 days a week in nice weather, now we don't at all. Some people are taking anything in their car with them in a backpack, and leaving the doors unlocked to avoid broken windows.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/car...AITN6VZJTA5TU/

Old 06-09-2022, 08:13 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
Quote:
A bit of an interesting thought. Retirements shifting and some activities changing during pandemic.
Nature and green space activities were going up already before the virus hit.
http://https://saddlebrookecommunity...rement-places/
When I first retired, husband and I would go walking on the Trinity Trail in Fort Worth about 3-4 times a week. Health issues waylaid that, and then covid. Now husband's neuropathy is so bad it hurts for him to walk for an hour.

I used to inline skate, ski, deep sea fish, etc. No more.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:42 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
Quote:

Do you think trend will hold or passing.
Yes, but contextually, it depends on what people think of activities. Some only think activities are traditional sports (hiking, etc.), but we ended up in a small house on a larger property. The land needs constant work, so yes, our outdoor activities soared after we retired. It feels great to come inside after a hard day of work to wind down. Today we are planting grape vines, and populating a large meadow with a pollinator mix of wildflowers for insects and critters to dine in.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:08 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
One of the retirement communities here invested in high tech air flirtation systems for the gyms and all the buildings.
I want a high tech air flirtation system! Need to kick up my flirting.

No, we retired to the tropics and it's too hot to go outside, so we just stay inside and look at the ocean.

Kinda not what I expected, lol.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:50 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
OP, I had to laugh when I saw the thread title in the "active threads" column ... outdoor activities surging once I retire? What?

I'm always astonished at how many people say they "love the outdoors." I just kind of shake my head and mumble to myself, "I love the INDOORS." (Of course, I can't actually say that OUT LOUD ...)

Yes, there are some things that I can only do outside (like roller skating, which is a blast, but there are, alas, no roller rinks here ... I guess they disappeared after the '80s! ), and there are some things I would RATHER do outside, like jogging, but my treadmill is MUCH easier on my knees ... but in general, the inside of my house is so much more pleasant than the outdoors.

Then again, I've never been an outdoor person, even as a kid. When my mom would yell at us to "go play outside," I would just stay in my room and read -- that was SO much more fun!

Old 06-09-2022, 01:05 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,228,655 times
We have not retired as yet but spend a good amount of time outdoors (~3 hours) on weekdays (4-6 hours on weekends. The biggest driver for (early) retirement is to have more time for outdoors. I could do more - the mornings are spent indoors when I should / would like to be outdoors - but am very busy with work during the week.

That said, all plans are a bit fragile - in that the aches and pains increase with time and one bad fall or accident can make it difficult or even impossible. But, the hope and plan is to do more when we are not so caught up in work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement