Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 10:11 AM

858 posts, read 680,993 times

Advertisements

I am so close to retirement, and I have worked full time for the past 42 years. I find myself dreaming of retiring to a simpler place, not unlike Gart Williams in the Twilight Zone episode "Stop at Willoughby"

https://youtu.be/tmLh2LMT2Gc

While I may not dream of Willoughby, Ohio, I dream of finding a quaint old-fashioned small town stuck in time where a person can live comfortably on social security alone. My searches have steered me toward northwest Arkansas or the Appalachian region of Tennessee, due to cost of living, taxes, number of small olf fashioned towns and an abundance of affordable older homes (pre-1950s)

Where do you dream of retiring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:05 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I am so close to retirement, and I have worked full time for the past 42 years. I find myself dreaming of retiring to a simpler place, not unlike Gart Williams in the Twilight Zone episode "Stop at Willoughby"

While I may not dream of Willoughby, Ohio, I dream of finding a quaint old-fashioned small town stuck in time where a person can live comfortably on social security alone. My searches have steered me toward northwest Arkansas or the Appalachian region of Tennessee, due to cost of living, taxes, number of small old fashioned towns and an abundance of affordable older homes (pre-1950s)

Places like you wish are dwindling. Most have been discovered and the prices have gone up dramatically. I will be looking for the same thing 5 years from now upon retirement. Not sure what things will cost by then.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:22 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Ireland.

Hopefully to be realized in the next 2-3 years.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:28 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:

While I may not dream of Willoughby, Ohio, I dream of finding a quaint old-fashioned small town stuck in time where a person can live comfortably on social security alone. My searches have steered me toward northwest Arkansas or the Appalachian region of Tennessee, due to cost of living, taxes, number of small olf fashioned towns and an abundance of affordable older homes (pre-1950s)

Good luck. Sincerely.

I will be looking forward to seeing what rural paradises people suggest. We have found our own, but if we were not essentially debt free, we would not have been able to afford to buy a home here and live on Social Security alone.

Medicare and supplements are $750 a month, utilities (including one cell and one land line plus Internet) are about $525, we have ONE car (about $200 a month for gas, maintenance and insurance), and our average groceries NOW are about $800 per month (up about 33% from two years ago when we were making our retirement budget), and property taxes and home insurance are $450 a month. That does not leave a whole lot left over for things like home maintenance, dental work, etc., and non-essentials such as recreation. (Fortunately, we live in an area that has plenty of FREE recreation in the form of many local parks with gorgeous hiking trails, but a single round of golf is about $40 here.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-04-2022 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 01:20 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:

Arkansas and maybe even rural Missouri might fit the bill but to be low cost to live on SS, the towns will be isolated and a bit of a drive to a bigger town for supplies, entertainment and most important medical care.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:22 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Retired and Loving Where I Live, is the Thread that came to mind; 108 Posts. Maybe that Thread will be helpful in your search. Every individual has their criteria, you just have to decide.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:41 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
"A Stop At Willoughby" is probably my favorite Twilight Zone episode. It wasn't rural, but rather a smallish urban (not tiny) town set in the late 1800s. That episode of Twilight Zone was always in the back of my mind when looking for a place to retire. I found my spot and have written about it many times here, so I won't again, but I'll just say I'm very happy here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4FHOKIWzo

Last edited by marino760; 08-04-2022 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 01:44 PM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Maine, pretty much any place south of Skowhegan.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Have you looked at Paris - KY? I used to live in Lexington - KY and my neighbor across the street was from there. I remember visiting the town for his funeral and was totally charmed by the quaint little town.

Moorehead - KY is also beautiful, although it's a college town.

Then there's Berea - KY.

I always think KY is very underrated as a state. Low cost of living, people are friendly, beautiful state with hills and lakes. Spring weather can be rough though. They rarely have snow, but they have ice.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:34 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Have you looked at Paris - KY? I used to live in Lexington - KY and my neighbor across the street was from there. I remember visiting the town for his funeral and was totally charmed by the quaint little town.

Moorehead - KY is also beautiful, although it's a college town.

Then there's Berea - KY.

I always think KY is very underrated as a state. Low cost of living, people are friendly, beautiful state with mountains and lakes. Spring weather can be rough though. They rarely have snow, but they have ice.
Ha ha, I'm in Maysville. Paris KY is beautiful and just a short distance from Lexington without the issues from growing pains Lexington has. Pictures don't do it justice. It was on my short list as well.

Last edited by marino760; 08-04-2022 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement