Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 08:56 AM

25,446 posts, read 9,901,455 times

Advertisements

Didn't know whether to post this in retirement on the hobby forum. I read an article this morning about young people staying home to knit and crochet instead of going out clubbing. They should be good and ready for retirement when it comes, lol. I love that they're embracing these skills.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-era-rcna39073
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 09:13 AM

17,690 posts, read 16,837,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Didn't know whether to post this in retirement on the hobby forum. I read an article this morning about young people staying home to knit and crochet instead of going out clubbing. They should be good and ready for retirement when it comes, lol. I love that they're embracing these skills.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-era-rcna39073
I think it's sad and that they are missing out on the best years of their lives. You don't have to party to get out and socialize with friends and meet new people.

I went to college in the 80's and I knew how to do embroidery, stitch a hem, bake, garden, mow a lawn, clean a house, etc That was pretty typical back then. No internet, limited t.v. meant a lot of free time.

No way did I sit in my dorm room teaching myself to crochet and knit - I went out, socialized, hiked mountains, went tubing in the river, dated and otherwise had fun. There is nothing wrong with learning how to crochet, don't get me wrong, but when you are knitting to avoid life, that's sad.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think it's sad and that they are missing out on the best years of their lives. You don't have to party to get out and socialize with friends and meet new people.

I went to college in the 80's and I knew how to do embroidery, stitch a hem, bake, garden, mow a lawn, clean a house, etc That was pretty typical back then. No internet, limited t.v. meant a lot of free time.

No way did I sit in my dorm room teaching myself to crochet and knit - I went out, socialized, hiked mountains, went tubing in the river, dated and otherwise had fun. There is nothing wrong with learning how to crochet, don't get me wrong, but when you are knitting to avoid life, that's sad.
I'm sure they do that as well. I don't think it's sad at all to find a relaxing hobby and spend time at home doing that hobby. It's very therapeutic. I didn't look at it as avoiding life. I looked at it as finding joy in the simple things.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm sure they do that as well. I don't think it's sad at all to find a relaxing hobby and spend time at home doing that hobby. It's very therapeutic. I didn't look at it as avoiding life. I looked at it as finding joy in the simple things.
If you are sitting at home on a Friday night crocheting when you could be out on a date or going to the movies with friends or even just laying on the grass with your boyfriend and watching the shooting stars at night, you are missing out.

But I totally agree with you that if you are doing all the above AND teaching yourself how to knit that is awesome. Just don't knit instead of doing the above.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:53 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,089,804 times
I taught myself both knit and crochet when I was a kid and alone at home during the 3 month summer break. I'm over it now and wouldn't take it up again. I learned sewing as well. Speaking of grandmas, I made many a square dance outfit for myself and matching get-up for my partner. Maybe some of the younger generation will take up square dancing, too. It's a great way to meet people.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:57 AM

6,331 posts, read 4,254,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I was knitting, sewing and doing embroidery as a teen in the 70’s ,and yep like you managed to get out and socialize too. I get that some are done with clubbing scene, just as I got to that point with discos, but if it’s an all or nothing that’s not good. I think though the article is exploring a stereotype and as such promoting an either/or scenario.

their "grandma era." They've taken up hobbies and behaviors often associated with older generations, including: knitting, crocheting, needlepoint and staying home (rather than going out).
This is a load of stereotypical tripe. Young people have been doing many of these hobbies for years and they are not grandma hobbies I was doing many of these as a teen, as did my mother ,and both my grandmothers when they were young. The emerging interest in young women taking up embroidery beyond the stereotypical craft kits was big in the 90’s when YouTube shared tutorials for free.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,857,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I was knitting, sewing and doing embroidery as a teen in the 70’s ,and yep like you managed to get out and socialize too. I get that some are done with clubbing scene, just as I got to that point with discos, but if it’s an all or nothing that’s not good. I think though the article is exploring a stereotype and as such promoting an either/or scenario.

their "grandma era." They've taken up hobbies and behaviors often associated with older generations, including: knitting, crocheting, needlepoint and staying home (rather than going out).
This is a load of stereotypical tripe. Young people have been doing many of these hobbies for years and they are not grandma hobbies I was doing many of these as a teen, as did my mother ,and both my grandmothers when they were young. The emerging interest in young women taking up embroidery beyond the stereotypical craft kits was big in the 90’s when YouTube shared tutorials for free.
Clickbait. People of all ages have done needlework for generations. To characterize it as a "grandma hobby' is lazy and trite stereotyping. So are young people also playing shuffleboard? Mall walking? Hanging out at the Moose Lodge? No? Then ****, with your garbage memes, *******s. The kids are alright.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:28 PM

We didn't have video games and social media as distractions back then. If you wanted to talk to your friends, you used the main landline. Parents generally put limits on how often and long your conversations would be.

I do think that kids these days are spending more time on electronic devices than on hobbies such as knitting or crocheting. There are lots of kids who have never learned cursive. I would imagine that there are probably more and more kids not learning basic things like how to ride a bike, roller skate and swim.

I wouldn't consider roller skating to be a "grandma" activity but if you've never learned how to roller skate then it might seem like an old fashioned thing that people used to do. The same might hold true for hopscotch, skipping rope, playing jacks and even something as simple as catching fire flies.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,204,974 times
As the meme says, "Why not both?" You can knit and crochet or do any other hobby and still go out and party with your friends - at any age. Social interaction is important to our health.

It astounds me that people think one activity precludes the other.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 PM

Young people should absolutely be out and about, having a good time, having fun, if that is what they want to do. But it's refreshing to see that some are embracing the simpler things as well. I know the article talked about inner grandmas, but I thought that was just a fun play on words. I've been crocheting since I was 16, and always loved it.

Last edited by trobesmom; 07-24-2022 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement