Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

the 67 bug didn't have a diesel, there was a very rare version in Europe with a Horizontally opposed air cooled diesel

There are a few conversions of A-C vans, but I'm not sure you could jam and in-line 4 cyl diesel in a bug, tho I think I saw someone fit one in a Karman Ghia.

You might just get a 'beater' rabbit, they are everywhere and good for retirees (fixed income). I've fit amazing qty of stuff in a rabbit while building homes, you can even sleep in them (beats sleeping under a bridge). Parts are VERY cheap and VERY available. I can still get brake wheel cyl, ball joints, timing belts, hoses and v-belts each under $7.

For the electric version check out the ev-pusher EV Pusher Trailer
Don't show this link to the FMVSS...

I actually think I could get a Scirocco 1.5 liter diesel to 75 mpg with a belly pan and fairing + going on a diet and driving 55mph

For the OP topic, I second the idea of living in a storage place (If zoning allows...) I'm looking to buy some commercial props to do just that... provide me passive income + and apartment for me when I'm in the area. Another cheap option is using a youth camp as a home base. I might 'donate' my equip to the right camp, then utilize a staff 'cabin' during 'off-season', and live in my Rabbit or under a bridge during camping season. Plan C could be fixing up a 'farmhouse' on a large farm that has several 'merged' farmsteads. There are many of those around, and the farmers would be happy to have someone guarding their fuel tanks and irrigation pipe from meth heads.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-28-2008 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Some cheaper areas I've found while looking around are Sweetwater, and Dell Rio in Texas. They are mostly houses there but on the cheaper side. Another place to look is all over the rust belt of the USA.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Another place to look is all over the rust belt of the USA.

It's just the climate of the Rust Belt. Hot and humid in summer and freezing in winter.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
JanB and forestbeekeeper...
you both need to write books!!!
I am fascinated...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Ditto. Thank you Janb and Forestbeekeeper. I would love to stay in AZ but I think property taxes will eventually do us in. We are in architecture so small space living does not concern us, in fact we love small spaces. We have options and I am so happy to have stumbled on this board.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Some cheaper areas I've found while looking around are Sweetwater, and Dell Rio in Texas. They are mostly houses there but on the cheaper side. Another place to look is all over the rust belt of the USA.
Do you really recommend living across from Ciudad Acunya?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do you really recommend living across from Ciudad Acunya?
I didn't think this thread was about good places - just cheap places.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
small space living does not concern us, in fact we love small spaces. We have options and I am so happy to have stumbled on this board.

I love small cozy spaces & I am glad to hear that I am in good company.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-30-2008, 10:41 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Nancy, we already have the kids fighting over our furniture. Our last home, if we are lucky enough to find affordable land, will probably be 900 square feet. We would love to stay in AZ, but land costs are insane here, almost if not more than CA. Homes are still reasonable, but not sure how long that will last after the market picks up again. Maybe WA is calling us.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
If you buy a home or duplex or whatever with a small apartment, servants quarters or mother-in-law suite you can rent out the main house and stay in the small quarters. If it has a nice garage, all the better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement