Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 06:07 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

My permanent room mate turned Santa Clause covering all aspects. Well, the fur is first on the to go list. A shearing of the sheep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 06:12 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
1. How much of your life you wasted waiting for public transportation (airplanes, trains, buses, tour boats, etc.) including waiting for the school bus when you were a kid. While I was waiting for a commuter train on the platform, when I was still in the workforce, I tried to calculate (in my head) how much of my life I had wasted waiting for public transportation until that point in time. It was A LOT. I'd tell you the exact number but now I'm old and can't remember what it was.

2. When survey people find out your age, they don't care about your opinion. This is especially true if the survey relates to entertainment or advertising a product.

3. As you get older, you get shorter. Right now, I only use the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets.

4. AARP employees are very very bad people to send you come-ons to join them when you are ONLY 50.

5. If you think Best Buy sales people in the computer electronics department ignore you when you are a woman, just wait until you are an old woman. You'll be checking yourself for leprosy.

6. You know the answers to trivia questions because you lived through the period unlike your opponents.

7. The more time goes on, the less children know about history, and will be condemned to repeat it, because their history class length is the same as when you were a kid but right now they have about 50 more years of history to learn in that same amount of time. Imagine how "dumb" they will be about history 100 years since you went to school.

8. You don't lose your bad habits just because you retire. Example: If you procrastinated in your working years, you'll still procrastinate in your retirement years. You'll just procrastinate about different things.

9. I vote for the death penalty for people/relatives who think it's funny to put 70+ candles on your birthday cake when you have trouble breathing and then talk to you like you are a little kid and don't give you a really big slice of cake because "it's bad for you." Eat this!

10. How much you hate being called a senior.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:00 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Laura, those are priceless!!!

Old 09-15-2022, 06:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. How much of your life you wasted waiting for public transportation (airplanes, trains, buses, tour boats, etc.) including waiting for the school bus when you were a kid. While I was waiting for a commuter train on the platform, when I was still in the workforce, I tried to calculate (in my head) how much of my life I had wasted waiting for public transportation until that point in time. It was A LOT. I'd tell you the exact number but now I'm old and can't remember what it was.

2. When survey people find out your age, they don't care about your opinion. This is especially true if the survey relates to entertainment or advertising a product.

3. As you get older, you get shorter. Right now, I only use the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets.

4. AARP employees are very very bad people to send you come-ons to join them when you are ONLY 50.

5. If you think Best Buy sales people in the computer electronics department ignore you when you are a woman, just wait until you are an old woman. You'll be checking yourself for leprosy.

6. You know the answers to trivia questions because you lived through the period unlike your opponents.

7. The more time goes on, the less children know about history, and will be condemned to repeat it, because their history class length is the same as when you were a kid but right now they have about 50 more years of history to learn in that same amount of time. Imagine how "dumb" they will be about history 100 years since you went to school.

8. You don't lose your bad habits just because you retire. Example: If you procrastinated in your working years, you'll still procrastinate in your retirement years. You'll just procrastinate about different things.

9. I vote for the death penalty for people/relatives who think it's funny to put 70+ candles on your birthday cake when you have trouble breathing and then talk to you like you are a little kid and don't give you a really big slice of cake because "it's bad for you." Eat this!

10. How much you hate being called a senior.

1. I did not mind the time I spent waiting for the school bus or public transportation; it was the time I spent out in the cold that I minded.

2. I found this out when the YouTube survey stopped at 45+ years. If they later expand age to 65+, will that mean that I will no longer have to watch commercials of toddlers in diapers? I can only hope.

3. I've probably lost a couple of inches; however I have a large collection of step stools. In seeing the photograph of Queen Elizabeth II greeting Liz Truss, I wondered how tall Liz was, as the Queen was listed at 5'3", and Liz towered over her. Liz is listed at 5'8" (I was 5'8" at one time), so the queen had shrunken down to hobbit size in her last days.

5. The last time I was at Best Buy, I had 3 salespeople approach me within a few minutes as I was looking at hard drives. I left at that point as it was not going to be possible to concentrate on what I needed with constant interruptions. When I need a salesperson, I go and find one.

6. I find myself talking about historical events that occurred within my lifetime, but before the person I am talking to was born.

7. My 8th grade history book had a supplement to cover recent events. This was back in 1968. My college history course was back in 1975. Nearly 50 years have gone by since then.

10. The ticket man at the fair called me a young man yesterday. After I bought my ticket, I saw that it was senior citizens day, and I could have gotten in for free.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:26 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post

6. I find myself talking about historical events that occurred within my lifetime, but before the person I am talking to was born.

Yes, that always makes me laugh when I realize that I am doing that! (Good entire post by the way, and ditto for LauraC's!

Oh, and does anyone else get a tiny depressed when you see the very good-looking actors and rock stars of our youth looking like very elderly men and women?

Old 09-15-2022, 08:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My mother got a call about test driving a new car and she had a chance to win it..... the moment they found out she was past 60 "Sorry, you're too old and not qualified"

She was almost ready to go sit in front of the dealership and protest.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:25 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
I was at Aldi recently. I bought some wine and the young lady was in automatic mode. She asked to see my ID. My beard is about 50% grey and my head is about 30% grey. I laughed and thanked her profusely, told her she made my day. She pretended to do it on purpose. I wonder who was president the last time I got carded.

I guess this belongs here. My wife quoted someone who said what they hated about growing older is that other people thought she wasn't relevant. I understand she felt pushed out from her job, that the younger generation didn't treat her opinions as wisdom, and if she were looking to continue working that would be a problem. But now that we're retired I think our money spends just the same. @LauraC mentioned Best Buy, so maybe there's more to it than I know.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:05 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I was at Aldi recently. I bought some wine and the young lady was in automatic mode. She asked to see my ID. My beard is about 50% grey and my head is about 30% grey. I laughed and thanked her profusely, told her she made my day. She pretended to do it on purpose. I wonder who was president the last time I got carded.

I guess this belongs here. My wife quoted someone who said what they hated about growing older is that other people thought she wasn't relevant. I understand she felt pushed out from her job, that the younger generation didn't treat her opinions as wisdom, and if she were looking to continue working that would be a problem. But now that we're retired I think our money spends just the same. @LauraC mentioned Best Buy, so maybe there's more to it than I know.
Just FYI, the liquor stores I frequented in Colorado asked my ID even in my 60's -- not because I was young, but because (I was told) their policy of requiring ID from EVERYONE prevented any arguments and/or complaints about possible discrimination about asking for ID for some people but not for others!

Old 09-17-2022, 09:57 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It took you to age 70 to "realize there are less years ahead of you than behind you"?

That could have happened at age 60 or age 50. - (or technically age 45 or even 40 for some, but few dwell on it until age 60 or 50)

You're somewhat lucky that you did not 'truly' realize this or think about it at age 60 or age 50.

And no, there is no stupidity in "I'm really thinking about my future, instead of just living my life".
You're right. Never did think much about my future, somewhat unfortunately but turned out OK. It's the number and I know it shouldn't be. Mom passed at 77 in 2017. Dad is 93 and doing very well. But yes longevity in my family on my Dad's side, but not my Mom's. Trying to just not think about a number.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just FYI, the liquor stores I frequented in Colorado asked my ID even in my 60's -- not because I was young, but because (I was told) their policy of requiring ID from EVERYONE prevented any arguments and/or complaints about possible discrimination about asking for ID for some people but not for others!
When I get carded, I ask them if I'm too old to buy liquor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement