Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 08:09 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,414,759 times

Advertisements

Although I live in a suburb of Los Angeles it would be a disaster for me. The city bus goes close enough that I could go to the grocery store alright I don't know about the doctor.
Other than that if you need to go any distance at all on the bus it takes forever.
I go to two big churches that I love, one Saturday night and the other Sunday morning. They are 12 and 13 miles away, the bus is out of the question. Uber can be a lifesaver in an emergency but too expensive to go to these churches regularly. Plus I go to a Tuesday morning senors group also at one of these churches.
Sometimes I go to Walmart or Cosco or Home Depot. From Cosco with a 40 lb dog food bag plus other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 08:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,735,908 times
I had to give up driving at 63. due to an accident which caused a massive TBI. I've recovered somewhat but need a cane to walk, and a wheelchair when I'm tired. I've got balance, depth perception and vision issues. I depend on my wife mostly for rides.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,941,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I had to give up driving at 63. due to an accident which caused a massive TBI. I've recovered somewhat but need a cane to walk, and a wheelchair when I'm tired. I've got balance, depth perception and vision issues. I depend on my wife mostly for rides.
I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any hope for further improvement?

I usually have stuff delivered to the house. It's expensive but it beats elbowing one's way through the crowds at Costco.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,944,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any hope for further improvement?

I usually have stuff delivered to the house. It's expensive but it beats elbowing one's way through the crowds at Costco.
I also get a lot delivered. It started with heavy items so I wouldn't have to schlep things from store to car to house. Since the pandemic I have been ordering even small things online. I still go to the supermarket and an occassional clothes shopping trip.

Check your area for senior transportation. My mom used to use it to go to the senior center and doctor appointments. She could have used it for shopping. It was cheaper than the regular bus service. They take you door to door.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:52 PM

33,218 posts, read 26,406,306 times
I gave up driving about 3 years ago when I was 65. The reason was simply because I didn't do much driving anyway so I figured why spend the money that having a car, (a truck in my case) involves. I haven't ruled out starting to drive again, but I don't miss it.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:54 PM

533 posts, read 478,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I gave up driving about 3 years ago when I was 65. The reason was simply because I didn't do much driving anyway so I figured why spend the money that having a car, (a truck in my case) involves. I haven't ruled out starting to drive again, but I don't miss it.
Do you live in a more urban area or do you live more of a homebody lifestyle?

Old 09-21-2022, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 4,502,043 times
My mom drove until she died at 89. My dad quit driving at 59 after a massive stroke. I still drive at 68. Bus service is terrible and Uber is expensive. My car is old and paid for so insurance and tags are cheap. I use about a tank of gas a month. I have a cart in my car to bring my groceries in. I have somethings delivered such as dog food and potty pads. I buy things online if cheaper with free shipping.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:04 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,396,797 times
For my Mom there was no choice, she failed the eye test at 78 when she tried to renew her license so her license was voided. She kept saying, "But I've been driving for 62 years!" like it made her an expert, better than the young woman who was revoking her driving privileges. It changed my life more than hers since I then became responsible for her transportation.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:14 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,859,249 times
71 I drive. There's no public transportation where I live, too far away for grocery delivery. I can walk to local cafes, coffee shops, bars, and a pot shop. Anything else and I'm off!

Old 09-21-2022, 09:16 PM

33,218 posts, read 26,406,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Do you live in a more urban area or do you live more of a homebody lifestyle?
I live in El Paso, Tx which is a fairly good size city. Everything I need is within walking distance. Only occasionally do I use the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement