Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 09:33 AM

88,210 posts, read 84,094,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Now that we live in a smaller home in the south.....it really dosen`t feel like Christmas to me. We have been putting up our artificial tree, but it`s just not the same. My daughter visits for Christmas, she will come in and say " pretty tree", and then it`s done.
The timing of this thread though...is spot on. I was thinking this morning, of a way to decorate with all the sentimental ornaments, that we have had for years and years, without putting them on a tree. Any ideas?
Why not just hang them from a ribbon stretched across a window or something?

Old 09-25-2022, 09:50 AM

9,777 posts, read 7,592,334 times
If I was having family visit over the holidays, yes I would. If not, I might just set up a little table with lights and a couple decorations by the front window. And this year I'll probably put up all the stockings. We just had twin grandbabies born this week so my project is getting those ready and figuring out how to hang them all.

One of my friends fills her house with Christmas trees, each has a different theme, plus hundreds of decorations everywhere. Takes her forever to put them all up and put them away. It's just way too much for me, her house is already filled to the brim with knick knacks and stuff. I couldn't live like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 10:28 AM

42,171 posts, read 17,556,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We have no children and no family in the area that visits any longer. I always decorated for all the holidays but it seems silly now. Do you still decorate?
Absolutely I decorate. I do it for myself. It's not as grand as it used to be but I still do it for all holidays.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:32 AM

42,171 posts, read 17,556,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Now that we live in a smaller home in the south.....it really dosen`t feel like Christmas to me. We have been putting up our artificial tree, but it`s just not the same. My daughter visits for Christmas, she will come in and say " pretty tree", and then it`s done.
The timing of this thread though...is spot on. I was thinking this morning, of a way to decorate with all the sentimental ornaments, that we have had for years and years, without putting them on a tree. Any ideas?
Get some strong fishing line from Walmart (cheaper than Hobby Lobby) and make garlands with them and then hang them up come the holidays so you can still look at them.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 AM

17,082 posts, read 16,251,026 times
Yes, we still decorate for the holidays. We'll probably scale down our decorations as we get older but we will continue to recognize the holidays and participate in them whether our kids come home or not.

Halloween is coming up. When the kids were still trick-or-treating or at least dressing up to hand out candy, we had all sorts of outside decorations outside - ghouls handing in the trees, a creepy cemetery, spooky music, cobwebs in the shrubs, crime scene tape etc.

This year, I think I'm going to forgo the spooky stuff and mainly do cute fall decorations, most of which can stay out post Halloween leading up to Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving, we'll do a whole turkey spread but I expect that the kids will be home for that. Ditto Christmas. In a few more years....who knows. It may just be me and dh and if we want to do just a turkey breast that'll be fine. Heck, we might get to a point where we'll go out to a nice restaurant and skip the cooking altogether.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:48 AM

11,951 posts, read 8,278,885 times
I love it and DH has also got into the spirit. It's a good project for us and lets the neighborhood know we're still alive in here.

There are large outdoor wreaths for every season.

We make a lot of our own outside Halloween decorations and load up the front yard.

We also do Fall, Christmas, Easter, and Fourth of July.

In the doldrums of January and February I freeze colored water in various shapes and build an ice castle in the front yard. Like to watch the young kids on their way home from school stop and stare. WTH?

Fewer of them do every year. More busy with their phones. I want to make some magic for them. They want to facetime.

Yes, putting it all away again is the downside. I have a new Halloween project half-done from last year and dried wildflowers for a new Fall wreath. Not sure anything but a few old things will be hung out unless DH gets a notion to start. Then I'll probably get motivated.

It's accumulated in the attic along with costumes for all occasions. Hate to get rid of it just in case someone needs it.

Guess I'm overdue to address this issue. When do you just sit down in the rocking chair and let someone else spread the cheer? Or as so many younger think today, let someone else symbolize unnecessary holidays?

Old 09-25-2022, 10:58 AM

30,296 posts, read 16,047,525 times
Christmas is the only holiday I decorated for. Since I now have cats, all I do is put a grape vine wreath out side.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:00 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,776,988 times
I was well into my 50s when I quit climbing onto the roof to hang lights on the high peaks of my house in California. For safety, I switched to yard decorations instead.

Now I decorate very sparingly due to a lack of storage space in my retirement condo. An artificial bamboo tree in my living room gets lights/ornaments/gifts for the grandkids, and a large inflatable Santa and lights go on my balcony facing the ocean.

Typically, I buy one or two new items each year to keep my home looking fresh, then donate the items at the end of the season.

Every Christmas in Maui since 2014.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:05 AM

17,082 posts, read 16,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I was well into my 50s when I quit climbing onto the roof to hang lights on the high peaks of my house in California. For safety, I switched to yard decorations instead.

Now I decorate very sparingly due to a lack of storage space in my retirement condo. An artificial bamboo tree in my living room gets lights/ornaments/gifts for the grandkids, and a large inflatable Santa and lights go on my balcony facing the ocean.

Typically, I buy one or two new items each year to keep my home looking fresh, then donate the items at the end of the season.

Yep, I finally was able to convince my late 50's husband not to climb up on the roof to do the lights along the roof line last year. We put lights in just the shrubs along with the light up yard decorations and it turned out really nice.

No more roof decorations for us. It's just not worth the risk.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:30 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,776,988 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement