Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 08:01 PM

899 posts, read 654,636 times

Advertisements

I know a woman who has a tree in her house that stays up all year. However, she changes it for various holidays. After Christmas she might hang hearts and such for Valentines Day, etc. Mardi Gras, St. Pat's, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving...you could justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 08:06 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,687,560 times
That's a great idea! I've known people who keep their tree up as well. Some take it down at Spring Equinox. When I lived in New Mexico I noticed that a lot of people leave their outdoor Christmas lights on the house all year long. I like it.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:10 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,131,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
We never decorated, as we don't observe holidays and such. We may do a token pumpkin or wreath, but that's it. Several of our retired neighbors have garages and attics full of carefully organized and labeled boxes and bins of holiday decorations, special plates and dishes, lights, flags, and more for every occasion. Their poor husbands are drafted to pack/unpack, and put up/take down these items. The only concession to age is that some hire people to deal with outside lights and ladders. Many don't have family locally, either. But it must give them joy, so good for them.
You've described my 85-year-old MIL perfectly. I don't know how she does it at her age, but she does. Huge display indoors and out for every holiday, year after year after year. A Christmas bash for 75 guests with hand-made party favors for every person who attends. She amazes me! I'm not quite retired yet, and I'm already scaling back.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:16 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
For the first few years of retirement we still put up an small tree, lights in the windows, a wooden sleigh made by my grandfather, lots more stuff too. BUT it's the taking it all down and putting it away that got to me.

When we moved to this apartment dh strung lights on the balcony, I put lights in the windows, we brought out the sleigh and that was it.

Last year we just didn't care. I did get out a little ceramic house that lights up, supposed to be some Charles Dickens type thing, an olde taven.

I always hang a fake wreath on the front door. Now I'm more into making Christmas foods and buying Christmas cake but I feel guilty knowing that those pretty decorations lie in a plastic tote in the closet.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:26 PM

899 posts, read 654,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's a great idea! I've known people who keep their tree up as well. Some take it down at Spring Equinox. When I lived in New Mexico I noticed that a lot of people leave their outdoor Christmas lights on the house all year long. I like it.
Throw in birthdays, anniversaries, and other special dates that may mean something to you (Cinco de Mayo, San Gennaro, May Day, Chinese New Year, Presidents Day, April Fool, Groundhog Day...) and you have an ongoing canvas. The downside is that if you think you don't have enough room to store Christmas decorations, multiply that by several holidays.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:34 PM

87 posts, read 100,751 times
The last two Christmases saw no decorations as we were living between two different locations almost 1k miles apart. But now that we are both retired and back to living in one house, we are looking forward to decorating a tree and putting out a few items we purchased when we lived in Germany. Not sure yet if any family members will visit during the holiday season, but that's ok. We still enjoy the season anyway.

We actually purchased some Halloween outdoor decorations for the first time. Actually looking forward to putting them out in a few weeks. I guess the kids inside both of us are still hanging on..........

Old 09-25-2022, 08:36 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,687,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Throw in birthdays, anniversaries, and other special dates that may mean something to you (Cinco de Mayo, San Gennaro, May Day, Chinese New Year, Presidents Day, April Fool, Groundhog Day...) and you have an ongoing canvas. The downside is that if you think you don't have enough room to store Christmas decorations, multiply that by several holidays.
Oh yeah... that's crazy!

in_newengland, my father is from Western Mass, and my grandparents lived in coastal Connecticut until their death. I always begged my parents to "take us to the snow for Christmas" but they never did. Too expensive to take the whole famdamily on the aeroplane clear across the country. When I was a kid I used to brag to my grandmother that we went barefoot on Christmas Day. Big deal.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,221,790 times
I did not decorate for the holidays before I retired. So, no.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,253,907 times
YES

Old 09-26-2022, 12:11 AM

15,973 posts, read 10,537,614 times
I do but only for Christmas, and I live alone -- but at a lower intensity than in years past.
Not for any other holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement