Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 10:54 AM

746 posts, read 496,869 times

Advertisements

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...an-just-income

Working later in life can pay off in more than just income
June 1, 2018
Benefits such as mental stimulation and social engagement are associated with staving off chronic disease.

We've lost 10 people in our small tourist town of 130 full timers in the last 4 months.
Most of the homes here are vacation homes so I am not counting the part timers.

All 10 people were retired, middle-higher income. We live in a County with the cleanest air and water

These people did not exercise

We have very few low income folks here, and most of them are Mexican. We are probably the only other lower income people residing here but no one knows we are low income.

These people work beyond Full Retirement age doing Seasonal jobs in our town- Cleaning the Inn rooms, waitressing, cooking, etc. They all live downtown in an old hotel which sports many different apartments

These Mexicans appear in shape. I see them bike riding with their kids/grandkids, playing ball in the park, swimming in the lakes/rivers. Appearing very happy. They are very active but tend to keep to themselves, overall. The Mexican lady who cleans our house said their family hardly ever sees a Doctor. We don't talk much since she doesn't speak English really well. Their Medicaid/Medicare bills have to be quite low. They are one HUGE family from Mexico, maybe 30 people or so. Been here for about 25 yrs+, all legal.

During the winter, when they are often not working (spouses are in construction), many people stop by their place to buy their homemade Tamales/Burrittos, Rice etc. Town shuts down during winter due to the heavy snow so we have no restaurants except on weekends.

For those who are not exercising, which are most people...

It seems best to work a somewhat physical job if only for the heath benefits in retirement. Thoughts?

Last edited by Pip-Squeak; 02-04-2023 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 11:08 AM

9,182 posts, read 6,216,162 times
You are being selective in your interpretation of ideas mentioned in the cited article.

There are studies that conclude that working in later life is not always beneficial.

"Working past retirement age might not be beneficial to health for everyone, however. For example:

Suffering stress on the job has long been recognized as a risk factor for coronary artery disease and stroke.

If your job is physically demanding, you may have an increased risk of injury.

If you feel your job lacks meaning, if you're bored, or if you feel "burned out," that may add to stress or affect your mood.

It's not surprising, then, that a number of studies have found health benefits to retiring. For example, a 2010 study of 14,000 people, published in The BMJ, found that retiring was linked to a substantial reduction in mental and physical fatigue and depressive symptoms.
"

In conclusion, working past FRA may be helpful. And working after FRA may be harmful.

As many of the discussions end on City-Data, it depends on the person.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:14 AM

I should've been more specific instead of just saying " A physical job"

Yes, I am being selective. This is in relation to people who work a physical job for the goal of good health beyond retirement age.

Meaning not laying around watching TV all day. Even walking can be enough exercise

The study links working beyond FRA to better health.

Yes, there are exceptions listed

Old 02-04-2023, 11:16 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
I retired a year before the ideal time financially because of stress and overnight hours. I was afraid of dropping dead at the job. Now, five years in, I still feel like I am trying to recover from working. Have nightmares about it.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I retired a year before the ideal time financially because of stress and overnight hours. I was afraid of dropping dead at the job. Now, five years in, I still feel like I am trying to recover from working. Have nightmares about it.
I can't imagine working overnight being good for anyone's health. So glad you retired a bit early

Can I ask what you did for a living?

Old 02-04-2023, 11:32 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,560,898 times
I am looking forward to living an active retirement lifestyle. Engaging in fun activities that I want to do rather than doing what has to be done at work sounds like a plan to me. When you have an active, physical job it tends to wreak havoc on your body over time - all of the repetitive movements, the inability to take a break when you feel that your body needs one, etc. It takes it's toll.

In retirement you can vary what you do - bike ride one day, water aerobics the next, golf, a fitness class, a walk on a nature trail - sounds like a plan to me!

Old 02-04-2023, 11:36 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I can't imagine working overnight being good for anyone's health. So glad you retired a bit early

Can I ask what you did for a living?

Charge RN at night at a big psychiatric hospital outside Boston. #1 in the country per U.S. News and World Report, and as safe as a place can be, but it also took extremely ill people to treat. I worked as a float, that is, worked all of the 11 specialized units, wherever more staff was needed. Got a great pension, too.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:40 AM

709 posts, read 578,966 times
I retired at my FRA and took social security because my very physical job was really taking a toll on my body. I really enjoyed the work, the benefits, and their insurance, but I couldn't hack it anymore. I could have gotten a different job within the company, but I enjoyed the freedom my position gave me. I would have liked the extra income, but I don't think my body could have survived if I had worked until 70, at that particular job. For now, I enjoy my time being retired, and I feel super lucky being in a position financially where I didn't have to work anymore.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:42 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
.. We live in a County with the cleanest air and water

These people did not exercise.
Tease. Where is this location?

They should have exercised, right?

Old 02-04-2023, 11:45 AM

88,634 posts, read 84,895,898 times
I sometimes think about working again when my caregiver time is over. Part of it is not being sure what to do next. All the plans I had evaporated with the incapacitation and terminal diagnosis of the one with whom I had the plans.

The company I worked part time for after I retired from my "real" job still has me on their website as part of the staff. They would like me to return. Fun job, good money. I have also gotten a call with another job offer within the past few months, but full-time, and I don't think I want to work full-time again.

Might be a good place to park my life while I think about what is next. Then again, I am aware that I could keel over from the stress of caregiving and its isolation before my bf does. Ya never know. Some days I think I would welcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement