Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 04:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times

Advertisements

Monstrous EIGHTEEN FOOT storm surge swallows Fort Myers and leaves hundreds of families clinging to their rooftops: Record-breaking Hurricane Ian leaves one million without power and sends tsunami of flood water crashing up West Coast

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Cuba-NHC.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 04:32 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
"Fifth strongest hurricane to ever hit the US."

Old 09-28-2022, 06:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
We checked on ourFL folks and all of them got out. Those who opted to ignore orders or common sense? There will always be those. Be prepared to assist.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
This is one of the reasons why I don't think I could ever live in FL. Facing possible evacuation every year is just something I would want to have to worry about.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:51 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
darn I follow Reed Timmer and he has not posted in about four hours.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:54 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
DailyMail isn't particularly reliable. 18 ft? Maybe. Horrible, horrible storm no matter what the surge height.

I was watching the stream from Wink TV today until they went off-air. That storm was about the worst possible combination of factors for Ft. Myers and Port Charlotte. Just the wrong angle of attack, wrong speed for minimizing surge, wrong tide timing, wrong eye size - wide then shrinking some, timing for daytime heat. I'm expecting major flood damage, not sure about wind with the revised Florida building codes.

My dad used to live in a retirement community in the MIDDLE of the river near there. I expect it to be gone. I also am fearful for Sanibel Island and Ft Myers Beach.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:02 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
DailyMail isn't particularly reliable. 18 ft? Maybe. Horrible, horrible storm no matter what the surge height.

I was watching the stream from Wink TV today until they went off-air. That storm was about the worst possible combination of factors for Ft. Myers and Port Charlotte. Just the wrong angle of attack, wrong speed for minimizing surge, wrong tide timing, wrong eye size - wide then shrinking some, timing for daytime heat. I'm expecting major flood damage, not sure about wind with the revised Florida building codes.

My dad used to live in a retirement community in the MIDDLE of the river near there. I expect it to be gone. I also am fearful for Sanibel Island and Ft Myers Beach.
Just read that the authorities are telling Fort Myers Beach evacuees not to try to return before Saturday.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
A lot of people from my NJ high school have moved down there, I believe they all chose not to evacuate which is stupid. I guess as "Northerners" they're under a rock if they don't know the kind of damage this storm could do.

My hubs gram lived down there, they got hit by Andrew, I could never understand why anyone would live there with the amount of storms that come up during hurricane season.

My hub wants to move down there. No thanks. I don't do storms like that, I also don't do reptiles. Or the heat which is a big one, especially with my hub who forces the temp on the AC to be much too warm for me. He can go live there by himself during the winter like he did a few years ago.

I'll stay in NJ where we have 4 seasons plus my kids and grand kids are here.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:13 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
I went through the 71 and 94 Calif. earthquakes but they are nothing like a big hurricane like this. I'd sure hate to be in a hours long traffic jam to go someplace thats hard to get and expensive and have nothing to do for days.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

If it's the retirement community that I'm thinking of, they have evacuation shelters within the community. Hopefully those shelters have weathered the storm and have not had any issues with storm surge.

Unfortunately cell service is out in the hardest hit areas, everything is flooded badly so it might take some time to verify that a loved one is o.k. which is going to be very difficult on the family members.

That said, there are plenty of areas in Florida that are not prone to hurricanes and major storm surge. Just choose a place more inland and you should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement