Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 02:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
For the purposes of this thread, I would say "alone" means "completely alone."

By my definition, at least, "alone for the holidays" means not having someone to celebrate the occasion with.

Obviously, one can go to a public place: church, Chinese buffet, airport, hospital lobby, even a store (they're increasingly open on Christmas) just to be among other human beings, but that's not quite the same thing...
oh, I disagree with "alone for the holidays" means "not having someone to celebrate the occasion with" !!

That may be the case, but not always.

I've had many opportunities over the years to be with people at their houses, at restaurants, at gatherings, with organizations etc. at holidays - but chose to not go.

(also some church groups have gatherings for holiday meals for groups such as singles or bible study - not where volunteers give meals to homeless or impoverished)

Your definition has the belief that if someone had someone to be with at holidays that they would most certainly be with them and would unquestionably accept invitations or devise their own gathering to invite people to...

which is definitely not the case. One can have invitations or gatherings to attend....and most definitely choose not to go.

But I do agree that hanging out at "Chinese buffet, airport, hospital lobby, even a store" does not count.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-03-2022 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 02:32 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Well, technically, even if you refuse an invitation by your own choice, you "have no one to celebrate the holiday with." Whether you were asked to join others or not, and even if you declined, is anyone there with you? No.

But. of course, solitude is always sweeter when it's optional! If multiple people are clamoring for your company that day, I'm sure being alone on a holiday is much easier to bear.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:36 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
2 beating hearts, 2 legs + 4 legs = alone or not alone?

Old 11-03-2022, 02:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

For the purposes of this thread, I would say "alone" means "completely alone."

By my definition, at least, "alone for the holidays" means not having someone to celebrate the occasion with.

Obviously, one can go to a public place: church, Chinese buffet, airport, hospital lobby, even a store (they're increasingly open on Christmas) just to be among other human beings, but that's not quite the same thing...
I'm saying that the following is not accurate: "By my definition, at least, "alone for the holidays" means not having someone to celebrate the occasion with."

But alone is alone, of course. ~ Alone is NOT being with a spouse or significant other or with anyone else.

(the fact that some people think they are alone even when they are with their spouse or partner or significant other is what becomes amusing and many other adjectives)

Old 11-03-2022, 02:59 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. If ‘is’ means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing."

Maybe he was on to something here.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:59 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
2 beating hearts, 2 legs + 4 legs = alone or not alone?
Depends, do you dress him up in an elf costume and think that he really “gets you” after you finish that half bottle of Chardonnay?

Old 11-03-2022, 03:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
I’ll be alone for Christmas, not unhappily. The holidays for me were never about the day itself so much, it was the occasion where relatives and friends made an effort to gather at a time when they had vacation from school and work. Christmas was always the folks and one or both brothers and families, and an assortment of others. Now the folks are gone, and their generation of friends and cousins are gone. I see my brothers and their families a couple of other times during the year and we talk a lot on the phone so that’s all good.

If I wanted to fly 1500 miles or drive 800, I’d be welcome by either brother. But doing so during the busy holiday season and worrying about winter weather holds no appeal. They’ll both call on Christmas Day. Friends would certainly invite me if I hinted, but being part of another family’s celebration holds no appeal either. I’ll decorate a bit, go to some parties in Dec, send out some gifts and cards, lay in a good meal, and save a couple new books for Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. And listen to The Messiah and sing along with nobody to protest the tunefulness of my voice. The holiday weeks are still a fun time and full of good things and good memories - being cocooned in my cozy home on the day itself will be snug and comfortable- it was last year, my first alone Christmas.

I guess on some philosophical level, for 64 years, Christmas meant being with my folks. Since that can’t happen ever again, second best for me is to make the most of the season, but to enjoy the day itself by myself and in my own way.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:46 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
I'll be alone, by choice mostly. My only close relative (sibling) doesn't do holidays either. I would rather be home alone than an odd fifth wheel at someone's family celebration.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:46 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I spent New Year's Eve alone once, when I was in my 20's. I was driving on a suspended license at the time, and it was snowing on my way home from work. I witnessed a crash due to the snow, and it missed me by a couple of car lengths. I would've been royally screwed if I got into a crash on a suspended license, so I stayed in that night. It was a great feeling, hunkered down in the snow, with no pressure to "have a good time".

Old 11-03-2022, 03:49 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
So what happens if we coat this thread with tinsel and people show up on the thread during the holidays? Are they alone?

Or, if they open the front door and close the door from the front room to the rest of the house, will they never really know if a person (or cat) is in that room, or if they are alone? According to science, they could be there and not there at the same time until the door is opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement