Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 12:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all Retirees and all who read and comment on this thread.

Currently, I am 10 months away from retiring. My retirement date will come 38 years and 4 months after I entered a trade which provided well for my family, myself, and others.

Nostalgically speaking, I am astonished by how much life and the workplace have changed. I am shocked by how fast 38 years have flown by. Yesterday's "green behind the ears" lad is now the experienced old man who might just have an answer to your question or at the very least, be able to steer you in the correct direction.

I'm no longer asked many questions as had been the case a few years ago. Reason? It looks like something happened to peoples' interest and curiosity after 2019. But that matters little anymore. I did my job with a sense of care, caution, and mission. And now all that is starting to align itself in life's the rearview mirror. I know I will sometimes miss the challenges of the job and getting through another sh_t storm with those few co-workers who performed their duties with pride and caution. A lot of challenges occurred over the course of 38 years.

Just this weekend someone asked, "what is your post-retirement plan?" My immediate answer: "Sleep! Not wake up at 4am or midnight to report to work. Be no longer cojoined to an alarm clock. Make time to visit family. Relax. Spend more time at the gym, etc." My working years are nearly over, and it feels as though I am ready to embrace the change.

If anyone has any pre-retirement nuggets of wisdom to share, I welcome them.

All the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 01:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Rest and enjoy your time. Give back and pay it forward!

Old 11-28-2022, 04:08 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Be sure you have an emergency fund for several years of living expenses (those not covered by current income)
Be sure credit cards and all utilities are joint. Avoid problems at the first death.
Consider prepaying funeral and make sure your families knows what you want or do not want
Make sure you have a Power of attorney, health directive and will. Consider including a separate writing in your will.
Make sure you have documented in a note book all your assets and liabilities, online user and passwords, etc.
Good to ask the question as their are probably a 100 things you can do and hopefully you have many years to remember to do things you overlooked.
Look at FidSafe.com as a free place to store estate documents. Can share now or only when you are deceased.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:12 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Cruises are cheap right now. Take a long one.

I prefer Holland America. Very few kids and mostly a Senior crowd. Get on their email list and they will send you some real deals.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:34 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
...If anyone has any pre-retirement nuggets of wisdom to share, I welcome them.

All the best
Having retired just over a year ago, the one thing I can say is that every day is Saturday (or at least feels like it). That was my initial reaction, and it still holds true today.
Wake up when you want to, go to sleep when you want to, and spend the day however you wish with no responsibility to anything outside your own house.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:53 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:

Just this weekend someone asked, "what is your post-retirement plan?" My immediate answer: "Sleep! Not wake up at 4am or midnight to report to work. Be no longer cojoined to an alarm clock. Make time to visit family. Relax. Spend more time at the gym, etc." My working years are nearly over, and it feels as though I am ready to embrace the change.

All the best
Congratulations! You sound ready and willing. Make sure you have health insurance seamlessly covered (I had to pay COBRA for three months prior to Medicare).

Old 11-28-2022, 06:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
Yes, congratulations! I admire and share your goals. Always a night owl, I struggled through over 30 years of working for an organization that seemed to start the working day earlier every year. After 11 years of retirement, I am rested and no longer pushing through the fog of sleep deprivation. It’s the best thing ever. And having the ability to shape each day as you choose is pretty darn good too. Enjoy.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:37 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Positive Posts, wisdom, confirmation about your decision.

Life is a journey, an adventure. 34 years, one part is coming to a close, another journey begins ! Suggestion: take time, Breathe !, to the transition period, the close of of one, adjustment to the new.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Currently, I am 10 months away from retiring. My retirement date will come 38 years and 4 months after I entered a trade which provided well for my family, myself, and others.

Nostalgically speaking, I am astonished by how much life and the workplace have changed. I am shocked by how fast 38 years have flown by. Yesterday's "green behind the ears" lad is now the experienced old man who might just have an answer to your question or at the very least, be able to steer you in the correct direction.

I'm no longer asked many questions as had been the case a few years ago. Reason? It looks like something happened to peoples' interest and curiosity after 2019. But that matters little anymore. I did my job with a sense of care, caution, and mission. And now all that is starting to align itself in life's the rearview mirror. I know I will sometimes miss the challenges of the job and getting through another sh_t storm with those few co-workers who performed their duties with pride and caution. A lot of challenges occurred over the course of 38 years.

All the best

Did you really need the alarm clock to wake up or did you wake up in time anyway without it? Serious question because your body may be set for sleeping and waking during those times, it may not be easy to change your sleep schedule.

Best advice I have is to not get frustrated by it. Your body did those hours for many, many years, it may take time to adjust to a new sleep schedule.

It's 4am right now. I've been up since 10:30 last night. I don't always wake up at that time, some days it will be midnight to 3am. There's no rhyme or reason for my sleep to be so whacked out but the fall time change a few years ago is what started this. It just never went back to normal.

I don't deprive my body of sleep if I'm tired, I will go sit on the couch to watch TV, may or may not fall asleep. I set an alarm for 2:15pm because I have to get my grandson for school. Usually I do wake up right around two if I did fall asleep lol

At some point you may wake up and decide you're very bored. Don't feel bad if you decide to take a part time job that can help you transition to retire. Some people just don't like sitting around, my hub is one of them, he loves working. So did his parents. His dad was forced to retire 6 weeks before dying of brain cancer at 72.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:26 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
[] Party hardy and die penniless... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement