Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2022, 04:19 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Your "not getting" it, just underscores the sad commentary.

Would you have felt the same way about a 250 lbs Craftsman mechanic's tool set?
Sad thing is, many of the next generation can't tell the difference between the tool set and out of date clothing.
I would pick through what I would reasonably use.

I’m fairly intelligent. If I have a question about something’s value, I try to find a similar product/circumstance to comp it against. Unless it is something I can flip for a profit, something I will personally use, or something of high sentimental value, I don’t want to clutter up with needless possessions.

My grandparents and parents don’t have anything with a lot of intrinsic value. Neither do I. I’m not a minimalist, the things I have or use have value to me. I don’t expect family to have the same tastes as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 05:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would pick through what I would reasonably use.

I’m fairly intelligent. If I have a question about something’s value, I try to find a similar product/circumstance to comp it against. Unless it is something I can flip for a profit, something I will personally use, or something of high sentimental value, I don’t want to clutter up with needless possessions.

My grandparents and parents don’t have anything with a lot of intrinsic value. Neither do I. I’m not a minimalist, the things I have or use have value to me. I don’t expect family to have the same tastes as I do.
Then I guess you can get rid of that useless valet chair your grandmother foisted on you. She need never know.
What's the chance she will ever visit you at your house anyway?

Old 12-10-2022, 06:38 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,497,070 times
Home ownership is less common now as employment becomes less stable. People who always have big houses will still probably move a few times. Home sizes will decrease with rising energy prices. Nomadic herding may replace settled farming and ranching in some regions.

On my list of preparing to survive anything that might happen, I start with practical skills. Stocking a shelf is just shopping.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:55 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Then I guess you can get rid of that useless valet chair your grandmother foisted on you. She need never know.
i think he did.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
Quote:
Your "not getting" it, just underscores the sad commentary.

Would you have felt the same way about a 250 lbs Craftsman mechanic's tool set?
Sad thing is, many of the next generation can't tell the difference between the tool set and out of date clothing.
I guess if you are materialistic and would rather fill your life with stuff rather than space...but to me that's kind of sad in itself and an aging attitude from the 20th century.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:43 AM

9,009 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I guess if you are materialistic and would rather fill your life with stuff rather than space...but to me that's kind of sad in itself and an aging attitude from the 20th century.
You just keep reinforcing that you don't get it, and reinforcing the "sad commentary" point I was making.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OKBound never said anything about volunteering. They also never said the house contents were anything they bought! Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one can come back from the dead just to clear possessions out of the last home they occupied!
Yes they did. They were trying to have people come and get rid of junk for free. That's volunteering. The flipper was trying to get free labor.

And the house content was in the house they bought, its theirs, they bought it. It's their responsibility to get rid of it.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
Quote:
You just keep reinforcing that you don't get it, and reinforcing the "sad commentary" point I was making.
Maybe you need to be more explicit. What is sad about not wanting to fill your house with things you don't need? Just because previous generations were acquisitive and materialistic, that "value" needs to be handed down?

Old 12-12-2022, 04:54 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I asked her if she wanted it back. If not, I was getting rid of it. I had my home office in an upstairs loft that gets hot in the summer. She wanted it back instead of me throwing it away.

Neither grandmother nor my aunt have been to my residence since right after I bought it three years ago.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:52 AM

17,416 posts, read 16,585,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Home ownership is less common now as employment becomes less stable. People who always have big houses will still probably move a few times. Home sizes will decrease with rising energy prices. Nomadic herding may replace settled farming and ranching in some regions.

On my list of preparing to survive anything that might happen, I start with practical skills. Stocking a shelf is just shopping.
I was just in a town that is not exclusively a retirement community but is largely populated by retirees. There was a new subdivision of custom homes going up near a golf course and those homes were huge - 6000 square feet, possibly bigger than that. I can't imagine being a retiree and needing, or even wanting, such an enormous house but apparently there must be a market for them.

I guess they really want the space for when their kids and grandchildren visit during the holidays? They probably also have a lot of furniture and other possessions that have been passed down to them from older generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement