Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 02:20 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

When my DH passed, I called one CC company (Discover) that he had an account with, with me as another cardholder. I wanted to cash out the rewards points (about $25). There was a balance owing of about the same amount. They wouldn't give me the points, so I told them good luck getting the balance paid. Didn't feel bad about it at all. I paid the rest of his bills even though there was no probate.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:49 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes, those bills still have to be paid until house is sold.

We are in the process of selling FILs house. Closing will be just the first week of January, but property taxes are due Jan 1. When we sign the offer we are accepting later today, we will see if we can't add that the buyer is responsible for those taxes.
Otherwise, we will have to pay full years taxes, and wait about 3 mos to get a refund back of 359 days prorated back to us. That's just a bit ridiculous, but we still may have to play that game.. pay the $4500 and wait to get $4439 back.

The heat is on (hopefully at the 58° we sent it at. We turned the water main off, and the water heater off. After the buyers inspection, we will have to check to be sure all is back to those settings.
Electric on too.

One MIGHT get away with turning that off in summer months, but buyers inspector is going to know all that works.
To get best offers, best to leave those on, but restricted just in case.

Daughter will have to notify those automatic bills that you are deceased and she will be selling the house as soon as she's able to after inheriting your estate.

She might even want (in fact she may have to) stop the auto payments, and go on month to month actual use payments.
Otherwise the bills may still be tried to pay even as she's ready to put your checking account.

Best

We just closed in June selling our house. The taxes were prorated IIRC to where we paid up until the closing date, then the buyer was responsible for everything after the closing date. Title company helped set all of that up. Pretty sure they also notified the township of the closing date for tax purposes.

You won't have to pay a years taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 05:58 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If by "September check" you're referring to the check actually received in September, that would be the August benefit check so she would be entitled to keep it, regardless of what day in September she died. It would be the September benefit check that she would not have been entitled to keep. That's the check that would have been sent out in October.
Ahhh, that's right. I'd forgotten the SS deposits are for the preceding month. So they didn't take back the deposit she received in early September, that was for August. She died Sept. 30, and they took back the money they sent her in early October, that was for September. Now it makes sense. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:14 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Also taking out debt with no intention to ever repay it is an ethical failure.
Few folks can accurately predict their demise and load up on credit in anticipation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
This is not so. Any unpaid bills of the decedent become the responsibility of the estate.
Those bills are collectable only if a probate estate is opened.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:18 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No one else does. SSA gets notified from the filing of the death certificate, but anyone else would have to be notified by next-of-kin or whomever.
If you are over 90 years old and don't have a Medicare bill in two years, SSA will check to see if you are dead and your relatives still cashing your monthly check.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Giving it more though and answering my own question. These entities don't care who pays the bills as long as somebody does. If there would be a problem, which apparently there won't, all she'd have to do is use her own credit card
This is not true. Utilities will be shut off if they are in the name of a deceased person, even if they are paid promptly and up to date. This could vary from state to state, but this is the law in Maryland. I know because I went through this when my father passed away in 2003 and the utility was impossible to deal with. Shortly after he passed away, I received letters in the mail stating that by state law the utility bill had to be put into someone else's name, or service would be turned off.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My FIL passed with about 40k in CC debt, my MIL (Wifes step mom), who is now living in her late sons house and being taken care of financially by monies from her son with no worries has decided to take on FIL debt with his SS and Pension using Debt Consolidation. I'll likely get roasted here, but I advised her to send the CC companies FIL Death Certificate, and let the debt go. I know she feels guilty leaning on hers sons $$, and the only way to not "Lean" on his $$ is to let go of FIL debt, it's done all the time.
Similar situation with my FIL and his wife (Husband's step mother technically.) The difference is he knew he was dying and intentionally ran up his CC debt. He also knew his wife wouldn't have to pay it, and she didn't. She did give our daughter a beautiful diamond ring he had purchased. I always feel a bit guilty about that. Needless to say my FIL was an interesting guy.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
When my DH died, one of the banks also had the information that he had died, though not from me or the funeral director. They immediately cancelled the credit cards for which he had sole responsibility. Joint cards were not affected, so it wasn't a problem.

I often wondered if the bank had the SS information. The cards were cancelled within a week of death.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We just closed in June selling our house. The taxes were prorated IIRC to where we paid up until the closing date, then the buyer was responsible for everything after the closing date. Title company helped set all of that up. Pretty sure they also notified the township of the closing date for tax purposes.

You won't have to pay a years taxes.
This varies by state. In my state sellers or estates often pay at least 1 year of taxes, depending on when the closing is. We pay taxes in arrears in my state so if I sold a house in January of 2023 I'd have to pay the taxes from 2022. It would be part of my closing costs, and the title company would send them to the county.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:11 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Similar situation with my FIL and his wife (Husband's step mother technically.) The difference is he knew he was dying and intentionally ran up his CC debt. He also knew his wife wouldn't have to pay it, and she didn't. She did give our daughter a beautiful diamond ring he had purchased. I always feel a bit guilty about that. Needless to say my FIL was an interesting guy.
His debt really ramped up for the last 3 years, dementia was setting in and his Wife wouldn't admit he needed to go into a nursing home for proper care. When it became obvious she couldn't handle his care, she finally agreed to a nursing home, and thats when it all came to light. My Wife and I were not allowed in his home office, just MIL and her son (Step Brother to Wife), but she made us aware of all the damage and we covered Property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement