Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 06:43 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
People back in to what they have and make it work .

It may not be the lifestyle they wanted or it could be one they like

I can tell you this , I don’t Know any retiree who said they wished they saved less .

I wouldn’t worry about what others think of their lives …concentrate on your life and goals .

One thing that baffles me here is you have a wealth Of knowledge among the group about retirement planning , methods and investing .

Yet so many questions here are concerned about how much is enough to others .

Asking people who live in different locations ,different lifestyles, different goals and different priorities about their situation really doesn’t improve the question askers situation….

So excuse me if I miss the point of a lot of these kinds of questions , particularly the how much is enough question , which is like asking how long is a rope.

I think the better questions pertain to how to improve one’s own plan

Amen jak!

We don't have any $10 million retirement portfolio.

Spouses SSDI isn't much.
My SSDI is just under the median for SS in general.

I've had a long work history, was never a slouch, always had more than one job. At least in my 20s, even after injuring my back at work and having male "plumbing issues and surgery um, yeah, you know where when I was 24.

The more serious medical/health issues started in my 30s, and by 40 I was on SSDI.

Even while collecting SSDI, thanks to present Bush jr, I even worked. Part time for most of my SSDI collecting years, which also boosted my SSDI each year for additional credits upping my SSDI check each year.. before the annual COLA came in.

We will have our 30yr fixed no penalty mortgage paid off in less than 10 years. We're at 7 years in now.

We have a '16 Honda HRV, bought last year, paid off in just 6 mos.
We bought a '22 brand new CR-V cash paid.

We have $16k in Efund in Money Market accounts local, and another $16k in local CDs at some nice rates...for the current year standing

We bought have Roth IRA s, from earnings that exceeded the max allowed invest. We add, $7k max each, or whatever our earnings are, split. Each account has the same in them.

We can trade ETFs, stocks, bonds while on SSDI.
Roth, like for everyone ONLY if we earnings...we can pretty much do without the earnings to live on, so in the Roth's it goes.

Even WITH the higher costs of fuel for the cars, higher food costs, house insurance up by 20%. Higher car insurance (rate increases PLUS newer vehicls) Energy costs (house) up by 50%, getting added insulation in the attic (another 14"), and (groan!!!) Higher medication costs, we can still live on our SSDI and bank another $300-500/Mon. Add another $500 in spouse' earnings per mon.
And that's with 4 day vacations several times a year (extended weekenders), and still have change left over after adding that $500-1k each month.

We live modestly,

No, we're not millionaires.. working on that first million!

We are a couple hundred thousand-aires.

FIL passed, a couple small military whole life insurances (which saw that we got the new card is all.

Well add another $100k if the sale of his house goes through soon, but we already have that couple hundred thousand-aires of our own.
His house needs so serious updates, so we sold as is where is, estate deal.

Our house is a 2/1 750+144 sqft "starter" house...we bought what we NEED, not more than we could want in house.

I traded in my '06 minivan for the '22 AWD, and half the cost of the '16 AWD came from spouses old trade-in. That short term 6 mos balance loan was just a ",bridge loan" till the small life insurance came in.

Even if costs continue to rise, we are a ways from SSDI only will be pinching pennies with nothing left to invest in anything.

We will move to the Midwest (where my father mother and I came from for dad's job at ibm brought us to upstate NY) To where we will be close to my cousin's in case we need help, and their kids and grandkids to help out...when we urgently need it.

My 88 yo father is still here,band I'll gain control of the family trust fund and I have no idea what all's in that. But ye should still be around another 4-5 years.

Yes THAT will boost our retirement funds, but we still have 4 years and about another $48k to parlay into larger couple hundred thousand-aires funds!

Spouse is 63, still loves to work part time, but my very bad back hips and knees forced me to retire from standing on concrete floors for a couple hours several days a week.
Slowly looking for a part time job that I can SIT at.
That will add additional funds freely to be invested before dad passed.

We won't starve yet... Not for years to come. Come what may.

We will survive! Even with less than $1+/- million in the bank.

So each person, couple or retiring people WILL, as MJ said..make it work.

We're not greedy, and at this point, not even needy!

Best to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 07:17 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
To me, the problem is one doesn’t know what the last couple years of your life is going to look like, or when that is going to be.

If I have to go into a nursing home, I want it to be a nice one and I sure as heck don’t want to end up in a Medicaid bed. So I don’t want to spend my money down to zero. If instead I die fairly young of a massive heart attack, well, I hope my stepdaughters appreciate their inheritance.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 PM

23,295 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
100% correct - that’s why I made this post to survey the experience of others.
But none of us can respond about our experience as a whole...yet. The question is premature, and the answers will be biased. The dead can't contribute to spread out the data. Sounds like an attempt to open up yet another debate between savers and spenders. Plus, a bit of virtue signaling thrown in for good measure.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:28 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
With all bills paid off, I could easily get by on $3,000/month, net of tax, today.

What will that be in thirty years when I'm 66? A lot more. I doubt I can accumulate that amount of wealth privately.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Obviously one of the major stressors of pre-retirement is having too little money?
How does one over save for retirement? Do people really want not to have a significant nest egg cushion?

Old 11-28-2022, 08:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Obviously one of the major stressors of pre-retirement is having too little money?

Nah. It's more like "Where are we going to retire TO?"

Old 11-28-2022, 08:35 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
I'm ok in retirement.

My issue is the experiences I denied myself when I was younger. Knowing what I know now, I would have spent more money years ago. But the fear of not having enough was motivation to save for the future.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:12 PM

217 posts, read 149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But none of us can respond about our experience as a whole...yet. The question is premature, and the answers will be biased. The dead can't contribute to spread out the data. Sounds like an attempt to open up yet another debate between savers and spenders. Plus, a bit of virtue signaling thrown in for good measure.
Retirement planning can’t be evaluated until it’s over ? That’s laughable Actually the dead contribute significantly by contributing with or with inheritance and what estate planning occurred and the subsequent results.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:14 PM

217 posts, read 149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
How does one over save for retirement? Do people really want not to have a significant nest egg cushion?
It’s actually quite common, people never establishing the in/flow financial tempo in pre and post retirement. Someone will spend your money, it gets down to who will spend it.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:35 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
I do not believe Over saving is an issue. People have children, grandchildren and charities. They just have to keep their paperwork updated.

If people have Under saved they can downsize their lifestyle in order to retire. That's an assumption a lot of people make when planning as they can move to a preferred location, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement