Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 07:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 724,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can definitely relate to that! I just went through that in cleaning my kitchen something I've always done in a few hours, but last week I cleaned the stove on day 1, fridge on day 2, floors and cabinets on day 3 - by day 4 I realized that I needed to clean the stove again...
Yes, so right. I write on my calendar a room a week and check it off IF I get it done otherwise it will continue into the next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 07:11 PM

1,380 posts, read 724,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
Showering and dressing!
Went to lunch on Monday with 2 friends. We all agreed, dressing takes us longer. We just laughed about it.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have heard it said that the difference between a cat and a dog is that if you die alone in the house with your pet, the dog will wait until he is starving to eat your body. The cat will eat you while you are still warm.

I'm retired so...I sleep until I'm ready to wake up. Could be noon.

A cat sh!ts on its own time. With a dog if you sleep in, he'll dump all over the house. I always liked dogs (and dogs like me) but today, I'm a cat person. A fixed Tom, preferably an orange one, good company. They are people friendly and an old Tom naturally bonds with men..

Old 03-05-2023, 07:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
. Any Tasks Today Becoming More Time-Consuming?

Like trying to climb out of a low slung car ?

Rented a Corolla last week, and thought I might need to be extracted by the jaws of life!

It used to be painful to see old folks hobble around. Now I am one.

Can't imagine how much longer it's going to take me to set trusses on my next home. Walking sill plates...

Probably not gonna heal as fast if I come crashing down from 25' in the air.

Grandpa slid off a 2nd story roof at age 84, and fell into the basement. I doubt I will even be able to climb up to the roof at that age.

I'm about 10% slower to swim a mile. But that's very easy, except for the 'sinking' part. I must be less buoyant. Too many donuts.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:48 PM

252 posts, read 234,627 times
I can no longer get down on the floor and do household maintenance type stuff. I just replaced the fill valve on my toilet. I had to sit on the lid and get the nut loosened by feel, including using a crescent wrench to loosen it. That took longer than doing it by sight. I hand tightened the new fill valve and put a towel under it to see if it is tight enough with just hand tightening. That will take a day for insuring everything dried and any wet is ongoing. So, figure it takes me 1 day and ten minutes more than when I could get down and dirty with the job. Many things are this way, but I don't have to be anywhere so,... what the hay?

Old 03-09-2023, 07:29 PM

7,788 posts, read 3,803,815 times
I've been up on the roof quite a bit hacking away at ice dams. It is quite time consuming.

I'm using a two-handed SDS hammer drill in hammer-only mode together with a 3" chisel bit.

But to get at the ice dams, I have to shovel snow off the roof - the snow is chest deep.

That leaves massive piles of snow on the deck & driveway - which needs to get moved.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 03-09-2023 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 09:06 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Any Tasks Today Becoming More Time-Consuming?

Like trying to climb out of a low slung car ?

Rented a Corolla last week, and thought I might need to be extracted by the jaws of life!

It used to be painful to see old folks hobble around. Now I am one.

Can't imagine how much longer it's going to take me to set trusses on my next home. Walking sill plates...

Probably not gonna heal as fast if I come crashing down from 25' in the air.

Grandpa slid off a 2nd story roof at age 84, and fell into the basement. I doubt I will even be able to climb up to the roof at that age.

I'm about 10% slower to swim a mile. But that's very easy, except for the 'sinking' part. I must be less buoyant. Too many donuts.
That is what I have, a 2010 Toyota Corolla. I am six feet tall. The grunting noises I make getting in and out of it are louder with each passing year.

Was going to run it until it gave out, but it only has 160K miles, and at some point I will have to spring for a more comfortable vehicle.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:41 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
More time consuming?

This week I finally decided to paint my living room ceiling/walls. Moving heavy furniture including a full bookcase, sofa, chairs, & a low case filled with heavy, vintage hifi equipment with a big plasma tv on top. Washing down & then rinsing walls/ceiling, spackling then priming cracks, holes, etc...

It's a good sized room for an apartment, the ceiling was the most difficult: after cutting in the edges on a ladder, just standing with a pole looking up, bending back for two coats applied... I felt that the next day & so got a late start. Then two coats on the walls, luckily only 1 long one & 2 partial walls (semi-open plan). Then all the furniture, books, etc., gets put back after prodigious dusting.

Took almost a week due to my occasional late starts & slow pace. I used to do stuff like this for a living for a few years in my early 20's but the energy isn't really there as much as the spirit still may be. Luckily the bedroom is smaller, but I won't get to it for a while.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:08 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
I find i need to make my strides shorter during my daily walks. I have to stretch before and after my walk, which have also become shorter distance. Never gave a thought to warming up and cooling down before, but now my body resists. Slow down, it says. Otherwise i get muscle pulls, tightness and all that HURTS!

Old 03-11-2023, 11:31 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
MQ, I have a 2008 Corolla with 67k miles on it but luckily I am only 5’7”. It’s my last car unless some moron totals it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement