Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2023, 06:15 AM

19,693 posts, read 12,275,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you!

Not everyone needs health insurance either. But, they pay for it to cover the scenario where need it and could face catastrophic costs were they not to have it. If they remain healthy, they subsidize other participants who face catastrophic costs. If they become unhealthy, others end up subsidizing their costs. The whole point is that no one knows whether they need it or not. But, should they need it, they might not be able to afford it. That's exactly what an insurance covers. And, not everyone needing long term care is an argument in favor of insurance, not against it.

As for children being responsible for parental care, I know that that idea is controversial and there will be exceptions where it would be inappropriate. But, I do believe that some form of it is worth considering, with safeguards to protect financial health of the children and exceptions where it doesn't fit. Else you have the perverse situation of parents passing their assets to the children and turning to taxpayers to fund their own long term care needs.

And, it is not such a foreign idea. 27 states have some form of filial responsibility laws. They are simply not integrated into the Federal Medicaid system. Several European countries hold the children responsible. A good part of Europe has majority supporting these ideas (and others where people do not support them) -
https://www.croatiaweek.com/croatia-...ltural%20thing.
Those are not enforced. It is ridiculous to even consider in the US. I don't care what other countries do.

Yes you don't like estate planning. And most people who do it are those who can most afford to pay for their care and their lawyers -they have a lot to lose. The average amount collected per recovery is pretty low, mostly from middle and working class people not equipped or sophisticated enough to have protected their meager assets. Some states go after as little as 200.00 left in a bank account. It probably costs them more to go through the process of collecting it. I will consider supporting tighter rules when some common sense is applied from the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 10:11 AM

50,945 posts, read 36,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No.

Why the hell would anyone ever try to save a dime for themselves if they and their children are only going to be severely punished for it?

You seriously want to punish people for having living parents? Crazy town.

If everyone opted to do the bare minimum, this country would not be habitable and all of the tax payer funded freebies would evaporate into thin air.

There are far better ways than anything you suggest. If our country was ever turned into such a hellhole God help us all.
How are they severely punished for it? Do you feel severely punished because you have to pay a mortgage and others are living in subsidized housing? It's not any different. How is spending your money on yourself being punished? Do you think I don't need an inheritance? If my mom hadn't had to pay privately I'd have one, maybe $150,000. But should my mom have gotten free care when she had money just so she could leave it to me? Heck no.

If she hadn't had that money, she'd have spent her last 10 years in a crappy nursing home instead of a nice assisted living facility, and I still wouldn't have had an inheritance, so please tell me how the less fortunate are better off than people who have their own money to spend.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I forgot, the self-insured and insured, face a "deductible" before we can qualify of benefits. Self-Insured see a 100% deductible. Those who have LTCi have a deductible at whatever premium they can afford.
Resign yourself to Old age.
YOMV
Anyone who needs subacute rehab in a facility will have that paid for by Medicare. LTC insurance is not for rehab.

LTC insurance pays for just that, long term care. No other insurance pays for any type of care facility except skilled rehab.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
irrelevant in most places . it isnt like you have a choice of places .

it usually comes down to who has available beds
We had a choice of about 4-5 assisted living facilities, in an area where there are a good number of facilties. Not all accept Medicaid.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
If you stay at home and need skilled nursing care, somebody is going to need to manage that care for you and step in when a home visit nurse/CNA doesn't show up. Don't assume that you will be capable of managing all of that for yourself. In fact, assume that you won't be.

A lot of times what happens is that the family member tasked with making this all work for you winds up getting sick from the stress and never ending nature of it and you wind up going to a care facility anyway.
My old boss had her mom at home with her, but she often had to run home because a caregiver didn't show or called and said her kid was sick and she had to go pick him up, etc. If she wasn't the boss, she'd have been fired, lol.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:02 AM

17,422 posts, read 16,597,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My old boss had her mom at home with her, but she often had to run home because a caregiver didn't show or called and said her kid was sick and she had to go pick him up, etc. If she wasn't the boss, she'd have been fired, lol.
Just the other day I drove past a frail little old lady looking a bit confused sitting on the seat of her walker waiting for a ride to take her somewhere from the looks of it. At the other end of the driveway was a newish basketball hoop so I'm assuming that she was living with her family members.

When I returned from my errand, I drove by that house again and there she was still sitting at the end of that driveway waiting for her ride to show up. I was about to pull over to ask if she needed help when a passing jogger stopped to chat with her.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Just the other day I drove past a frail little old lady looking a bit confused sitting on the seat of her walker waiting for a ride to take her somewhere from the looks of it. At the other end of the driveway was a newish basketball hoop so I'm assuming that she was living with her family members.

When I returned from my errand, I drove by that house again and there she was still sitting at the end of that driveway waiting for her ride to show up. I was about to pull over to ask if she needed help when a passing jogger stopped to chat with her.
If she was taking the county senior bus, they are often late (which is why my mom started cancelling her appointments).

Old 04-13-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If she was taking the county senior bus, they are often late (which is why my mom started cancelling her appointments).
I have no idea of knowing who that lady was waiting for. She may have looked at the wrong month on her calendar and gotten the dates wrong for all I know.

I sort of doubt it was a county senior bus service. My best guess is she was waiting for a paid ride and wanted to be down at the end of the driveway, dressed and ready to go. Probably a cost thing. I don't know.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
How are they severely punished for it? Do you feel severely punished because you have to pay a mortgage and others are living in subsidized housing? It's not any different. How is spending your money on yourself being punished? Do you think I don't need an inheritance? If my mom hadn't had to pay privately I'd have one, maybe $150,000. But should my mom have gotten free care when she had money just so she could leave it to me? Heck no.

If she hadn't had that money, she'd have spent her last 10 years in a crappy nursing home instead of a nice assisted living facility, and I still wouldn't have had an inheritance, so please tell me how the less fortunate are better off than people who have their own money to spend.
That poster was talking about going after people who had parents who helped them pay for their educations and making adult children responsible for their parents' nursing home bills and talking about federal government going after the families of people on Medicare.

Should a wife become homeless and destitute because her husband develops a devastating disease and winds up in a nursing home? I don't think so, but it happens.

The same man would get kicked out of a fully staffed Memory Care unit because they can't handle his care and the wife is left with the choice of figuring out to care for him or lose everything she has? That's crazy but that happens. Compared to that horrible situation, things like an able bodied person finding a place to rent (even with roommates) or saving and helping your own kid with their college education is a piece of cake.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
That poster was talking about going after people who had parents who helped them pay for their educations and making adult children responsible for their parents' nursing home bills and talking about federal government going after the families of people on Medicare.

Should a wife become homeless and destitute because her husband develops a devastating disease and winds up in a nursing home? I don't think so, but it happens.

The same man would get kicked out of a fully staffed Memory Care unit because they can't handle his care and the wife is left with the choice of figuring out to care for him or lose everything she has? That's crazy but that happens. Compared to that horrible situation, things like an able bodied person finding a place to rent (even with roommates) or saving and helping your own kid with their college education is a piece of cake.
Okay, sorry about that then. NO I don't think that's fair at all. There are a lot of states that go after families. Not just for the elderly, either. There was someone on another forum that married a woman who was living in a group home. Several years later he wanted to divorce her, but the state (I can't remember which, it was several years ago) were going to make him pay for her care if he brought her back to the group home system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement