Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 03:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I agree that Lands End has been going downhill, and it started, IMHO, long before COVID. Their overall style palette isn't too frumpy bad (some notable exceptions) but they've been using less quality fabrics and getting stingy on their cuts/sizing.
I love their petite sport knit jeans. They fit me very well. I’m not petite, but I have no waist and short legs.

I have a few pairs that are years old. They have a thin elastic waistband. The newer ones have a wider elastic waistband. After a year and a half the wide elastic has failed…on one side.

So, yeah, quality wise they have gone downhill. But fit wise, I’m sticking with them.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:07 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
gentlearts

Since you are "coastal Georgia" in location I want to say we just got back from a short visit to Savannah. Planned just 1 day/1 night visit after visiting relatives in Bluffton SC and it was only 35 minutes away. We LOVE Savannah, been there several times but this was first time we took the sightseeing trolley and that was FANTASTIC!

So about clothes we saw on tourists at City Market area: OMG. In general the clothes were not bad but the bodies under them made me feel like a super-model (I am not haha). YES polo shirts, jeans, loose dresses were worn by the retired folks (us) and there were young people both large-bodied and normal-sized, several bridesmaids groups wandering around.

I am in total agreement with "comfortable" clothing, don't need to impress anyone but don't want to wear things that make me look fatter than I am. I love leggings for that reason but they will not be worn in North Carolina summer coming up.
I hear ya. We have no control over what tourists wear, however. Southern Savannahians are typically chic. I’m a transplanted Yankee and I find that it’s hard to get naked enough to be comfortable here. Yet the natives wear jackets and pants. They also wear quilted parkas if it dips below 60 here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 05:49 PM

81 posts, read 46,466 times
It's difficult to find flattering (and well made) clothes these days. I'm tall and slender and nothing ever fits how I think it should fit to look good ... so I learned how to tailor clothes I buy.

Several posters already commented on this and I have to agree with them - clothes from Lands End and LL Bean are not what they used to be. I have some really old LL Bean coats that are better then what they sell now.

Old 05-23-2023, 05:59 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
I sometimes wear my 'Old Guy Rule' t-shirt, just in case there is any question.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:49 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Something like that. I've always said that if I end up in a skyjacking...............they are going to shoot me first just on general principle!
Yes, you have a point there, airline skyjackers would consider someone in military/olive drab or tactical clothing as a primary threat. We're gonna have to go with a different outfit for this occasion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That would be a "NO" -- I have never seen any retirees dressed like that, not even vets. I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not.
I have seen retirees dressed like I suggest, albeit they are few and far between. The dress style merely "suggests" to the observer up to no good that they might want to take a "pass" on choosing the wearer as a potential target. A person wearing this type of clothing is not pretending to be anything, you would actually have to wear a hat, shirt, etc. that said "U.S. Army Veteran" or "Vietnam Veteran" etc. to be pretending you were something you were not.

How about hiking boots/shorts and an "Appalachian Mountain Club" T-Shirt? You don't have to be in the AMC to wear one, heck, you don't even have to hike! You would be promoting a healthy outdoor organization for all ages with your purchase and wearing of the shirt.

And an "up to no gooder" might not want a hiking pole through their side, their hair set on fire with a camping flare or stuck with a compass point.....

Old 05-23-2023, 08:29 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I sometimes wear my 'Old Guy Rule' t-shirt, just in case there is any question.
LOL. I saw one I thought my DH would wear with pride. Said something like "I'm an old guy. I know stuff and I fix things."

Old 05-23-2023, 09:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times
I dress for comfort and usually wear the same brand for years, but my one concession to fashion is to buy new bright colors every year when the seasonal clothes go on sale. I’ve worn the same type of comfortable pants for years, but jump on the sales and replace them often enough so they’re not faded or stained. Similarly I wear the same type of summer tees and winter sweaters, but I love my tops to be bright jewel colors, so I replace the older ones every year when they’re on sale. I figure if my clothes are boring, at least they can be bright and boring.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:07 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My parents certainly did. They at least attempted to present themselves nicely to others, I imagine this is the case with many senior citizens where they continue to want to give a certain impression instead of just giving up and saying who cares.

Obviously not all of them, as evidenced in this thread. I have an Aunt who is more in the don't care category.

*winces* You should go for the triples! Conveniently convert from pants, to capri-length, to shorts! So many choices.
Winces? Are you in pain or something because of my choice of hiking attire?

Old 05-24-2023, 06:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I dress for comfort and usually wear the same brand for years, but my one concession to fashion is to buy new bright colors every year when the seasonal clothes go on sale...so they’re not faded or stained. Similarly I wear the same type of summer tees and winter sweaters, but I love my tops to be bright jewel colors, so I replace the older ones every year when they’re on sale.
Do you really buy a whole new wardrobe every year even though you're retired? Do you sell, donate, or throw away last year's clothing?

Old 05-24-2023, 07:14 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I dress for comfort and usually wear the same brand for years, but my one concession to fashion is to buy new bright colors every year when the seasonal clothes go on sale. I’ve worn the same type of comfortable pants for years, but jump on the sales and replace them often enough so they’re not faded or stained. Similarly I wear the same type of summer tees and winter sweaters, but I love my tops to be bright jewel colors, so I replace the older ones every year when they’re on sale. I figure if my clothes are boring, at least they can be bright and boring.
I do the same thing with my tee shirts. When the "Life is Good" company has a sale on tees, I buy new ones in bright colors and logos/patterns so that my wardrobe looks fresher. The older ones I relegate to be sleep tees and the ones that may be faded or stained go in the personal yard/gardening area of the closet. If they get worn beyond that then they're ready to be cleaning rags. Those tee shirts are pretty indestructible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement