Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 10:07 AM

747 posts, read 579,391 times

Advertisements

Do you have any good friends with totally NOTHING in common with you, or very little? Not acquantances or work friends. You might agree on the things you are both against. Of the same gender, usually.

People you talk with regularly. You tell them things you do, that they never do and have no interest in, and vice-versa. Each one may act as if they are interested. Then there's endless small talk and trivia--of no interest. For some reason, you enjoy each other's conversation over time. Maybe years and years of this.

I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:41 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
No.
I have something in common with acquaintances, even more in common with friends.
I have a lot in common with good friends.

How is someone elevated to good friends status with nothing in common?

Old 09-14-2023, 10:48 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Do you have any good friends with totally NOTHING in common with you, or very little? Not acquantances or work friends. You might agree on the things you are both against. Of the same gender, usually.

People you talk with regularly. You tell them things you do, that they never do and have no interest in, and vice-versa. Each one may act as if they are interested. Then there's endless small talk and trivia--of no interest. For some reason, you enjoy each other's conversation over time. Maybe years and years of this.

I am curious.
No, not really.

We have neighbors who are kind and interested in us. They often ask if there's anything they can do for us. But they had evinced an interest almost since the day we moved in at the end of 2018.

My spouse's car broke down a couple of weeks ago. The neighbor helped him promptly and cheerfully. They are really great people. I don't want to name any names, as the family is well-known and their kids are high achievers.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
No. If I have absolutely nothing in common with someone, there would be little to no incentive to start a relationship. Or once started, it would quickly just fade out, dying from neglect. Nothing to talk about or anything to share that they might be interested in, and visa versa.

With work friends? Yes, that would work, because we would at least have our place of employment in common, and that would provide enough to talk about to keep things going. Plus, you're trapped in the building all day, and work friends are nice to have someone to go to lunch with. But I've found that once you leave that job, pretty much all those work friends eventually fade out because work was the main (or only) thing we had in common.

I don't find it fun or interesting to try to talk to someone that I have nothing in common with, at least for the long haul. These aren't potential close friends. All the close friends I've had in my life were kindred spirits. I'm not much for small talk or trivia, although I can do it, it's not really my thing. I'd rather have just a couple of "rainy day people" (thank you Gordon Lightfoot), than a whole slew of fair weather friends.

But everyone is different and a lot of folks don't require a deep connection with people outside of family. For them, fair weather friends are just fine, and I agree they have their place.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:58 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
While I don’t have difficulty talking with someone with no common interests in a casual setting or within a work related capacity I would find it taxing to try and establish a friendship. So the answer is no, my friends all have one or two things or more in common.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:59 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the premise but how can one have a friend with nothing in common? A pleasant neighbor, an acquaintance, a coworker...yes, but a friendship is usually based around a shared interest I think. What would you talk about once you comment on the weather or the alarming shape of someone's lawn or if the food is too spicy here?

Old 09-14-2023, 11:57 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Most of my friends from youth have changed. They're really different people with different attitudes (quite opposite in fact from our early days). I can only think of one friend who is the same person as before, just like me.

I think this question is less about things in common, and more about similar/different attitudes towards life and the world.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:04 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
My friends and I have a lot in common, but not about politics, so we keep that at a minimum, otherwise we have a lot in common. We have different opinions about certain things, but that's good, keeps things interesting.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:07 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
^^^
I have a friend who I have to make appointments to see her and talk politics, as her husband forbids any political discussions in our little group. We all agree but he just won't put up with conversation about politics. Now, real estate, yup.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:13 PM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Absolutely not.

I absolutely only have "friends' who share my political views. Acquantenances/neighbors? Yes. Do we socialize or do favors? Yes but that doesn't make them FRIENDS.

Politics isn't just about nonsense but about your values and if you don't share my values, I'm not interested.

A 26 year old said her friend was staying at her home for two days after a work conference in town.

Then she told me she wouldn't be; she'd be just staying at the hotel her company had paid for during the conference and extending it two days.

I go: "I bet she's a Democrat".

She goes: "OMG how did you know?"

LOL Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement