Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 03:45 PM

997 posts, read 709,885 times

Advertisements

Didn't take me long to realize I made a huge mistake to move to the so called upscale apt complex I chose in Delaware. My Original threads below. I hated Northern Delaware. Didn't want to go out. Tax free shopping was no attraction. I tried to put on a brave face but my family and friends knew me better. The apt I moved to had problems that were not fixed and then in July my apt and others had an influx of bugs. They made me empty everything from the kitchen. There was no way I was returning my things to the kitchen/staying after I saw the liquid bait they put in the drawers. I realized this was my "out". I decided to go to Dallas where my other son and grandson live, I went on one reconnaissance in August trip and then a week later returned to rent an apt.

I was stressed out of my mind. First I went to the leasing office and sat there 2 hours because "I was afraid to go in my apt" The next day I told my doctor what was going on. She had the secretary prepare a note that said: Please be advised that Ms.___ is a patient under our care and due to her medical condition we strongly advise that she be removed from her current living situation". As soon as I submitted the note the Property Manager called me 1/2 hour later and said I just had to pay Sept rent and I could leave. Just like that, no penalties or repayment of rent concessions Moved Sept 7.

Did more decluttering, gifting things to family and a lady I met upstairs. I threw out a lot of belongings again. Paid for packing.

I have a nice spacious 2 BR first floor apartment in NW Dallas, TX with an attached garage. No steps. I could have moved in my son's building, but the apartments available were not ideal (the sun direction and it was an elevator building). He lives 10 minutes away.

Yes it was expensive to move again but well worth it. Yes it is hot here. Its cooler now. My apt faces south, with a roofed front porch. Close to DFW and all the major freeways.

I drove my SUV here. It took 2 1/2 days, stopping in hotels in Knoxville, TN the first night, and Little Rock, Arkansas the second night.

I am now in a middle class area that is more my speed, its like the area where I sold my home in Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...l#post65162155

Its done. I got my home ready in record time shortly after I posted in late April. I hired my experienced agent who had helped me buy my home originally. My son and me were ruthless about decluttering. Gave away and threw out a lot of nice stuff. Hired a truck and went to the dump twice. Sold furniture, decor items and my two prized Pewter and Fan Vase Collections within days on Facebook Marketplace. I got the name of a handyman from her and had the entire interior home (3 floors walls and vaulted ceilings) painted one color and had a few minor repairs done. A friend came over to beautify my front yard. Finally had the house professionally cleaned.
I decided to pay for packing and storage. Good decision. Packed May 11 and Moved out May 12. Stayed in a hotel with a kitchenette. I found an apartment in Delaware sooner than I expected and movers delivered my possessions on May 23.

Open House held May 21 and received a full asking price offer on May 23. Inspection and Appraisal waived. Nothing for me to do except empty trash cans and remove cleaning supplies from garage. I signed papers on Wednesday. The buyer's closing was this morning.

I am very happy that the home was paid off.

I selected a 3 bedroom apartment on the ground floor, outside entrance, with patio. No stairs at all. Its not perfect but its a good landing spot as I contemplate next steps in my life. For sure, this is not my last stop. My other son wants me to come to live near him if I decide I don't like DE.

Delaware has some expensive fees for "Out of Staters" (thats what people moving to DE are called per my daughter-in-law). I had to pay $1590 to register my 2021 SUV.

My advice if you are contemplating a move:
You must be ruthless about decluttering. I don't miss anything that is gone.

Its next to impossible to sell large brown dining room hutches, tables, cabinets. You'll end up practically giving them away if you can get someone to buy. Online Marketplaces are loaded with these items.

I priced my home right and was very happy with asking price offer. I didn't try to get greedy. It still sold for the 3rd highest price ever in the development.

Its easier to sell a home that is clean and move in ready. Empty the house and let the built ins and spaciousness sell the home. I see listings where the decorating is a turnoff and/or pictures of dishes in the sink and other clutter.

I did not have the energy or desire to get various boxes, packing paper, etc. Its tiring enough to declutter and get the home ready for packing. Pay for packing if you can swing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 04:02 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
So it took you one extra try

Hope you find happiness in your new place.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Looks like you're already out of your Delaware lease (I hope you got everything in writing about you only owing for September and them releasing you from the rest of the lease.)

Hope your life is all you hope it will be in Texas.

Old 09-23-2023, 02:25 PM

164 posts, read 111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Didn't take me long to realize I made a huge mistake to move to the so called upscale apt complex I chose in Delaware. My Original threads below. I hated Northern Delaware. Didn't want to go out. Tax free shopping was no attraction. I tried to put on a brave face but my family and friends knew me better. The apt I moved to had problems that were not fixed and then in July my apt and others had an influx of bugs. They made me empty everything from the kitchen. There was no way I was returning my things to the kitchen/staying after I saw the liquid bait they put in the drawers. I realized this was my "out". I decided to go to Dallas where my other son and grandson live, I went on one reconnaissance in August trip and then a week later returned to rent an apt.

I was stressed out of my mind. First I went to the leasing office and sat there 2 hours because "I was afraid to go in my apt" The next day I told my doctor what was going on. She had the secretary prepare a note that said: Please be advised that Ms.___ is a patient under our care and due to her medical condition we strongly advise that she be removed from her current living situation". As soon as I submitted the note the Property Manager called me 1/2 hour later and said I just had to pay Sept rent and I could leave. Just like that, no penalties or repayment of rent concessions Moved Sept 7.

Did more decluttering, gifting things to family and a lady I met upstairs. I threw out a lot of belongings again. Paid for packing.

I have a nice spacious 2 BR first floor apartment in NW Dallas, TX with an attached garage. No steps. I could have moved in my son's building, but the apartments available were not ideal (the sun direction and it was an elevator building). He lives 10 minutes away.

Yes it was expensive to move again but well worth it. Yes it is hot here. Its cooler now. My apt faces south, with a roofed front porch. Close to DFW and all the major freeways.

I drove my SUV here. It took 2 1/2 days, stopping in hotels in Knoxville, TN the first night, and Little Rock, Arkansas the second night.

I am now in a middle class area that is more my speed, its like the area where I sold my home in Maryland.
Wow, good for you. You are brave to admit it was a mistake. Too many people would have just stayed put and complained. Wonderful that your doctor wrote that letter and they accepted it. May you find happiness and peace in your new location. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement