Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 12:10 PM

20 posts, read 11,249 times

Advertisements

Looking at a few 55+ communities, would like to move to one that has a diverse population, both in terms of age (50's, 60's, etc.) as well as ethnicity. I can't see an obvious way of getting this info on the communities I have researched. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 12:18 PM

8,782 posts, read 5,077,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgs View Post
Looking at a few 55+ communities, would like to move to one that has a diverse population, both in terms of age (50's, 60's, etc.) as well as ethnicity. I can't see an obvious way of getting this info on the communities I have researched. Any ideas? Thanks
Need a little more info then ethnicity.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:40 PM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
If you're looking for statistics about specific communities, I doubt you'll find anything. That info could also be used for discrimination .

If you're looking for demographics of towns, C-D has that info. Click on the city-data.com heading on the top left of the page. Enter the city, state you're interested in and voila, all kinds of info.

It'll look something like this: (I just chose Cheyenne for no special reason)

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cheyenne-Wyoming.html

Old 10-04-2023, 12:47 PM

Thank you @PAhippo - yes, I was looking for specific communities and how diverse they are before committing to one. Sigh! yes, I get why this law exists but I figured that folks who move to these adult communities might have some ways of getting general (not necessarily a precise breakdown) info.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 3,762,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgs View Post
I live in a 55+ gated community in central Florida, and I have visited and observed perhaps another 10 or so similar 55+ communities within about a 50 to 60 mile radius. All of them, based just on my observations, are overwhelmingly white. That's not to say that Blacks and Hispanics aren't welcome. It's simply an observation that the overwhelming majority of residents (based on what I see with my eyes) are white.

I can't speak as to the happiness or contentedness of the small number of Black or Hispanic residents in our community, but there is no outward sign of them being discontent. They're free to buy a house anywhere in the community that they wish, and they're free to participate in everything that everyone else does.

They do sponsor some Black oriented events such as "Soul Line Dancing" and other Black oriented activities. Anyone is entitled to attend, just as with ALL events here. I can't guarantee that there would be enough Black oriented activities to suit any particular person, but I can guarantee that everyone has equal access to the facilities and that there are SOME activities that seem to be Black oriented but not Black exclusive.

There may be a small Hispanic club also with Hispanic based activities.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:26 PM

17,413 posts, read 16,574,230 times
You are probably way better off visiting retirement communities and seeing what you do and do not like about each one. Some tend to skew "younger"/more active and some tend to skew "older"/less active. Some are large with a huge variety of activities, some are smaller and more exclusive where the residents all know each other. Some are quiet and close to nature, others are more cookie cutter with golf cart trails and entertainment venues.

Figure out, first, what YOU are looking for in a retirement community. Then visit a view of them and see which one(s) feels like home to you.

We've visited some active over 55 communities. They have all been very nice and I can see why someone would love to live in each one of them. But some of them we knew right away were not right for us, others have been definite possibilities. But you have to visit them. They all have their own unique vibe.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:52 PM

Thank you @springfieldva & @Chas863 - noted both of your points. Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2023, 02:23 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
My 55+ has people from every state and about 40 different countries.

If by diverse you mean Black, there aren't many. I don't think this style of living has really caught on with the Black community.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:27 PM

Thank you @thinkalot, while I used/meant the word "diversity" broadly, I was specifically looking at the Asian community. Per your profile, you're in the west (AZ)?

Old 10-04-2023, 02:34 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,425,038 times
A year and a half living in a +55 community. White, 90% “coupled”, upper middle class, college grads. Not much diversity after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement