Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 06:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 12,672,910 times

Advertisements

Do you know an outstandingly healthy senior?

Maybe it's you? Or a friend? Or someone in your community...?

If you know, could you share their lifestyle--diet, exercise or other habits that have given them great health...

Thanks!

It's good to share our group wisdom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 06:29 PM

33,249 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Myself. Of course, I don't know many seniors but I'm very healthy. . .as far as I know. And fit, and strong. I intend to do my best to keep it that way for as long as I live. I don't believe that one need become weak and feeble even in extreme old-age. I'll be 70 come January. Of course, 70 isn't yet extreme old age but it's certainly not young.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Myself. Of course, I don't know many seniors but I'm very healthy. . .as far as I know. And fit, and strong. I intend to do my best to keep it that way for as long as I live.
That's wonderful--good for you...!

How have you achieved those great goals??

Diet? Exercise? Other?

Old 09-17-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's wonderful--good for you...!

How have you achieved those great goals??

Diet? Exercise? Other?
Yes, diet and exercise. And genetics perhaps has played a part. I workout hard at the gym with free weights and machines and use the treadmill afterwards. And good music helps keep stress levels down.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Yes, diet and exercise. And genetics perhaps has played a part. I workout hard at the gym with free weights and machines and use the treadmill afterwards. And good music helps keep stress levels down.
That's great!

Do you follow a particular way of eating/style?

Omnivore? Vegetarian? Mediterranean? Paleo? Or??

Old 09-17-2023, 07:04 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
My grandfather who, with the exception of hearing loss, was healthy as a rock until 6 weeks prior to his death at the age of 99 (one morning he was opening his eyes but was clearly comatose, probably brainstem stroke, remained comatose for 6 weeks, then stopped breathing). Wasn't taking any medications. Smoked for maybe 5 years in his youth, then stopped because cigarettes were expensive. Drank a glass of wine daily with dinner. Mediterranean diet (he actually lived in the Mediterranean) with very little meat. Worked 7 am to 3 pm, took naps in the afternoon. Walked every day for at least 5 miles all of his life including at 99. Possibly genetics (a lot of people lived long in the village he and my grandma/ his wife were from). Formerly an office worker living a settled ordinary life without much effort or ambition. Married, one child (my father). His stress levels, though, were not entirely down; he was a carmudgeon who was always inordinately annoyed with this or that, generally with trivial details - but maybe constant venting of his annoyances was his way to completely unload any stress? :-).

Old 09-17-2023, 07:10 PM

844 posts, read 420,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
he was a carmudgeon who was always inordinately annoyed with this or that, generally with trivial details
That would be me if you listen to my wife

My Dad is 94, still physically healthy and mentally alert. He's not a physical exercise type of person, but he will take a walk around the neighborhood accompanied by my Mom who's 91. He's shrunk several inches since the 70s but otherwise he's in good health.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's great!

Do you follow a particular way of eating/style?

Omnivore? Vegetarian? Mediterranean? Paleo? Or??
Not really, no. I just make sure I eat some fruit and veggies every day as well as whole wheat bread and dairy, and oatmeal. A protein shake helps me get the protein I need. I try to get about 120 grams of protein daily. And I supplement with certain vitamins and minerals. I considering adding chicken as well.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:25 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
my mom, 90 and only on meds for glaucoma.
Eats what she likes, barely any exercise ever.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:32 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
I am friends with two women, both around age 75-77. It's both interesting and sad to note the extreme differences in their health.

One was gradually declining over the past couple of years, mostly a mental decline, but also having trouble walking longer distances and on stairs. Ten months ago things went downhill rapidly and she became fully incontinent and unable to walk. She went from living independently to being stuck wearing a diaper in a wheelchair in less than a year. In the time I've known her she always sounded like an "old lady" by hearing her voice. I doubt she'll last more than a couple years, it seems like a miserable existence.

Compare this to the other woman who is maybe 1-2 years younger. Fully independent, lives alone in a house with 3 dogs, does yoga, volunteers for art projects, takes road trips, and is physically strong. Talking to her on the phone you'd never know she is 75 years old - very upbeat, high pitched voice. She drinks like a fish and smokes weed daily - I'm not knocking it, if that's what keeps her going then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement