Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 09:43 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One side of the brain works faster than the other? Dunno. I do what you do, and accept that when I took typing (yes, a few of us guys took typing when it was strictly a girl course) my WPM topped out at about 25.

Also, my father had to type a lot (one reason why I decided it was important) and as he aged he had no access to spell check on his Remington, so I got to see how his typing began to have more problems.

I find that an occasional outburst of profanity at the keyboard seems to help.

I enjoy your spelling of a feminine chassis It has a Scottish ring to it. Rrrrrrr!

LOL, I must admit I just spelled it wrong... Can I blame that on my fingers, the keyboard, or my old age? I used to be a better speller before this old age thing set in... though I like the idea of a Scottish "chasse", maybe should be "chasses"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 08:33 PM

985 posts, read 530,910 times
It really comes down to not losing your love of life and continuing to do what you enjoy. Other than the usual things of eating right, getting plenty of exercise etc, we need to stay in contact w/ things we're passionate about, and we need to use our brains. This is one of those use it or lose it deals, we have to find things that stimulate and challenge us. The brain is like a muscle, if you don't use it those neural pathways go dormant.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It really comes down to not losing your love of life and continuing to do what you enjoy. Other than the usual things of eating right, getting plenty of exercise etc, we need to stay in contact w/ things we're passionate about, and we need to use our brains. This is one of those use it or lose it deals, we have to find things that stimulate and challenge us. The brain is like a muscle, if you don't use it those neural pathways go dormant.
The trouble is, many of us can't do what we enjoy due to aging. Physical hobbies, I mean. Arthritis runs in my family, and I had to give up every hobby I enjoyed because they were all too physical. I miss them like crazy and have found no agreeable substitutes. I do exercise an hour every day though and do balance exercises because I notice that ability decreasing which is really scary.

Auto-fill is starting to decrease my spelling ability, lol. Now forgetting how to spell certain complicated words.

We are exposed to a new language in retirement and hopefully that is challenging our brains, even though we suck at it, lol.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:20 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I had a small miracle happen a couple of months ago. I was bemoaning my decrease in stamina but how was I to know what someone my age with my issues was supposed to be able to do? I chalked it up to age.

Then I had an appointment with a cardiologist and without me ever mentioning fatigue she looked at my chart and said she thought I might be taking too high a dose of blood pressure medication. That had been prescribed by my GP and a year ago my BP had been so low it was scary.

Not scary to a young, learning assistant, though, who said I had the BP of an athlete. I said, "Uh, think it's heart failure." Yikes, Dude. Are you paying attention in class?

I had no idea how dependent your body can get on that stuff. I had a month of withdrawal symptoms. It was tough. Thought about asking to have the dose raised again but did some googling and discovered that some people actually go into a rehab when they are getting off it. Amazing to me. Thought it was mainly mood-altering drugs that people needed rehab for.

Live and learn. I upped my exercise level and can't believe how much more energy I have now. Also feel bummed out that it took so long for someone to notice!

Last time I complained of fatigue it turned out I wasn't eating enough salt. Sometimes these things are quirky.

Maybe this might help someone?

Old 10-20-2023, 09:04 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Wonderful!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:57 PM

7,111 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Lodestar, I am glad that your cardiologist figured it out. I do know that can happen because of my mom’s experience. I take the lowest dose I can get away with.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:32 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
<snip>
Last time I complained of fatigue it turned out I wasn't eating enough salt. Sometimes these things are quirky.

Maybe this might help someone?
Frequently, I have days when I can barely function due to chronic dehydration. It occurred to me about a week ago that I should start sprinkling salt on my food. Seriously. When I was a young nurse working in a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit it seemed that every darn patient complained because their salt intake was restricted. It was then that I had the bright idea of eliminating unnecessary salt from my diet while I was still young and not yet hooked on it. I would never miss it! Yay! That worked really well.
Until it didn't...

Old 10-20-2023, 10:45 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
I borrowed the book from the library and have decided to buy a copy. It's more detailed than what is presented in the WaPo review, and I could use a handy reference book.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:02 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Wonderful! I ordered it as well.

Last edited by kavm; 10-21-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement