Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:50 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times

Advertisements

The WP article linked below is based upon a book with the following title: Honest Aging: Insider’s guide to the second half of second half of life by Rosanne Leipzig, a physician and vice chair of education at the Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...se-alzheimers/

I found the article very well written and useful. There is practical advice included in the article. I hesitate to summarize as I feel I might not do justice to it. I do recommend it highly, that’s why I am posting it here. Not earth shattering but definitely useful and no click bait that’s often posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 09:22 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Paywall. Used archive.ph to see it.

What stood out for me were -

Needing more light. Even beginning cataracts make this worse. Compounding the problem, LED lights don't blow out like incandescents used to, but dim over time. I've learned to buy the ones the next size brighter than what I need.

Medication issues. This is one I've been able to largely avoid, but the negative effects of cholesterol lowering meds of any type make it a balancing act. I recently witnessed a degenerative effect of Repatha in my GF that was debilitating until a couple months after she stopped.

Instant word recall (lack of). Yep. Along with that, the need for more proofreading. Muscle memory has me typing common words instead of what I meant, and idiosyncratic issues like typing "The" as "THe" have become permanent.

What I didn't see in the overview was mention of urinary tract infection, which can be a common cause of serious problems or death. Urinalysis test strips are easy to read and can be kept at home to self-screen. (They don't remain stable for over a year or two, so don't stock up if you get them.)

Old 10-16-2023, 09:58 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I couldn’t read it for free. I keep rx down to what’s absolutely needed and only take 2 plus my over the counter allergy medication which I can’t do without. I would never take a statin because of the detrimental effects on memory.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:02 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The WP article linked below is based upon a book with the following title: Honest Aging: Insider’s guide to the second half of second half of life by Rosanne Leipzig, a physician and vice chair of education at the Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

I found the article very well written and useful. There is practical advice included in the article. I hesitate to summarize as I feel I might not do justice to it. I do recommend it highly, that’s why I am posting it here. Not earth shattering but definitely useful and no click bait that’s often posted here.
That's a good article. Did you read the comments section? I'm still in the process of that since, as of a few minutes ago, there are more than 1200 of them, some of them useful and some frivolous, of course. Some interesting insights from other seniors. I'm a subscriber of the WaPo so not sure if others can access the comments. Sometimes I learn more from the comments than the actual article or at the least expand my knowledge base.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:09 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
That's a good article. Did you read the comments section? I'm still in the process of that since, as of a few minutes ago, there are more than 1200 of them, some of them useful and some frivolous, of course. Some interesting insights from other seniors. I'm a subscriber of the WaPo so not sure if others can access the comments. Sometimes I learn more from the comments than the actual article or at the least expand my knowledge base.
Thank you! There are a lot more comments than when I read the article. They are indeed an interesting read.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:18 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The WP article linked below is based upon a book with the following title: Honest Aging: Insider’s guide to the second half of second half of life by Rosanne Leipzig

The article is well written but almost all of the listed physiological changes in older people are well known. The same goes with her advices (i.e. nothing new here!). I have not read the book and do not know whether she advised older people to have yearly dental exam. From what I have read and learned, dental health is quite important for everybody especially older people.

I think it is OK (and do the article justice) by summarizing the key points below:

Quote:
Here are a few of the age-related issues she highlights in her book:

Older people often present with different symptoms than younger people when they become ill.

Older people often react differently than younger people to medications

Older people have reduced energy reserves.

Cognition slows.

The musculoskeletal system is less flexible.

Eyesight and hearing change.

Because of accumulated damage to hair cells in the inner ear, it’s harder to hear, especially at high frequencies.

Sleep becomes fragmented.

A partial list of Leipzig’s recommended adaptations, organized roughly by the topics above:

Don’t ignore sudden changes in functioning; seek medical attention.

At every doctor’s visit, ask why you’re taking medications, whether doses are appropriate and whether medications can be stopped.

Be physically active.

Make sure you eat enough protein. Drink liquids even when you aren’t thirsty.

Cut down on multitasking and work at your own pace.

Do balance and resistance exercises.

Have your eyes checked every year.

Get hearing aids if you’re straining to participate in conversations
Don’t exercise, drink alcohol or eat a heavy meal within two to three hours of bedtime.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:03 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

What stood out for me were -

Needing more light. Even beginning cataracts make this worse. Compounding the problem, LED lights don't blow out like incandescents used to, but dim over time. I've learned to buy the ones the next size brighter than what I need.

Medication issues. This is one I've been able to largely avoid, but the negative effects of cholesterol lowering meds of any type make it a balancing act. I recently witnessed a degenerative effect of Repatha in my GF that was debilitating until a couple months after she stopped.

Instant word recall (lack of). Yep. Along with that, the need for more proofreading. Muscle memory has me typing common words instead of what I meant, and idiosyncratic issues like typing "The" as "THe" have become permanent.

What I didn't see in the overview was mention of urinary tract infection, which can be a common cause of serious problems or death. Urinalysis test strips are easy to read and can be kept at home to self-screen. (They don't remain stable for over a year or two, so don't stock up if you get them.)

I do that all the time too. But I think it's just due to being too slow to take my finger off the shift key when I capitalize T at the beginning of a sentence. That or I type the "H" too fast, before I take my finger off the shift key. Is that a thing in old age? I tend to capitalize the first two letters of other words at the beginning of a sentence at times as well.

Mobility and stamina seem to be issues that creep up in old age too. The 25 year old psyche that lives in this 76 year old chasse gets pretty frustrated sometimes with all these old age issues.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:04 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I do that all the time too. But I think it's just due to being too slow to take my finger off the shift key when I capitalize T at the beginning of a sentence. That or I type the "H" too fast, before I take my finger off the shift key. Is that a thing in old age? I tend to capitalize the first two letters of other words at the beginning of a sentence at times as well.

Mobility and stamina seem to be issues that creep up in old age too. The 25 year old psyche that lives in this 76 year old chasse gets pretty frustrated sometimes with all these old age issues.
One side of the brain works faster than the other? Dunno. I do what you do, and accept that when I took typing (yes, a few of us guys took typing when it was strictly a girl course) my WPM topped out at about 25.

Also, my father had to type a lot (one reason why I decided it was important) and as he aged he had no access to spell check on his Remington, so I got to see how his typing began to have more problems.

I find that an occasional outburst of profanity at the keyboard seems to help.

I enjoy your spelling of a feminine chassis It has a Scottish ring to it. Rrrrrrr!

Old 10-18-2023, 07:38 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Harry, please can you explain that to me? Opening paywall sites using an incognito browser rarely works anymore.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:21 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Wow! Thank you for that! I'm gonna use that a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement