Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 04:50 PM

827 posts, read 589,069 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is the whole re-enrollment process a bit overwhelming?

I was told on the phone that if I do nothing, my coverage will remain as is. Fine. When it was set up a few years ago, few changes were made since then to my existing plans (and my spouse's) and it's been very agreeable.

Medicare Advantage is chasing me quite aggressively. I'm not interested.

Should I spend hours poring over all the possibilities for changing plans or just maintain the status quo? I can't face all those pages and pages of offerings but will if it's crucial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 05:08 PM
JRR

8,177 posts, read 5,683,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post

I was told on the phone that if I do nothing, my coverage will remain as is. Fine. When it was set up a few years ago, few changes were made since then to my existing plans (and my spouse's) and it's been very agreeable.

Should I spend hours poring over all the possibilities for changing plans or just maintain the status quo? I can't face all those pages and pages of offerings but will if it's crucial.
Are you talking about the Medicare Part D prescription plan enrollment?

If so, my experience has been over my several years on Medicare that there can be some severe changes in both premiums and coverages for specific drugs in a plan from year to year.

It really is not that hard to go to the Medicare website and plug in some personal information and a list of your prescriptions and see what the different plans available to you would cost.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,338,581 times
Quote:

If you have a Medigap or Medicare Supplement for your letter plan you need to do nothing. You should have a notice for the new premium. You may have a notice comparing your Plan to another. These are forever plans that will not change unless/until Congress passes a new Medicare bill. As long as you have income to cover the premiums you are good to go.

On a Part D prescription plan you need to check if there are any changes in the formulary. If your prescriptions don't change you may be good to go.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Do nothing.
All this advertising is focused on getting you to change because that is where the money is.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:24 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,984,542 times
Quote:
We were given a reference to a great local Independent Benefit Advisor that helps us go through the options, and fill out the forms to enroll/re-enroll. There is no charge to us for his service.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:54 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Are you talking about the Medicare Part D prescription plan enrollment?

If so, my experience has been over my several years on Medicare that there can be some severe changes in both premiums and coverages for specific drugs in a plan from year to year.

It really is not that hard to go to the Medicare website and plug in some personal information and a list of your prescriptions and see what the different plans available to you would cost.
100% correct. DH has been on medigap with a part D plan for 15+ years. The medigap policy never changed - existing medical conditions made it impossible. And anyway, he's on Plan F (only thing better would be Plan G because it's a younger, larger group of enrollees).

On the other hand, I've changed his Plan D at least half of those years. And I do NOT automatically take the cheapest plan - I look at what will happen if he (or me) develop some of the more common age related illnesses that require newer, brand name drugs.

Years ago, I explained this my our friends who never bothered to run tge numbers thru the EXCELLENT Medicare part D website. Every single one changed to a different policy and saved themselves hundreds of dollars a year for very little effort.

Medicare Advantage is great, even life saving, for those with limited income or an inability or refusal to be proactive in their health care conditions. Otherwise it's limiting your choices and rights.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:01 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We were given a reference to a great local Independent Benefit Advisor that helps us go through the options, and fill out the forms to enroll/re-enroll. There is no charge to us for his service.
These professionals can be a terrific resource. BUT remember that they are paid by commissions, and the commissions are higher when they sell a Medicare Advantage Plan than what they receive for selling a medigap policy,

Old 11-07-2023, 08:12 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,885,814 times
Quote:
It is just you. It is not overwhelming at all.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:30 AM

6,630 posts, read 7,362,919 times
Try this free non sales site https://floridashine.org/

Old 11-07-2023, 10:04 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,431,435 times
I like my medigap plan, so just let it roll over each year.

But I check out Part D plans every year. My current plan is nearly doubling the monthly fees next year, and for the first time, there's a free plan available in my area.

Incidentally, I saw something on the Medicare website that seemed to say you could change drug plans at any time to save on prescription costs. I should go back and read that more carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement