Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 06:45 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Time passes so darn fast! How to slow it down? Traveling around does slow it down to an extent, but not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 07:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
I’m not aware of time moving so fast until a number is put to it. A three year old is now fourteen, we’ve lived in this house for eleven years and my Dad has been gone six years. I have to think about things like these and do the math, otherwise it’s one day at a time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-16-2023 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-16-2023, 07:53 AM

844 posts, read 420,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Time passes so darn fast! How to slow it down? Traveling around does slow it down to an extent, but not enough.
Take Ginko Biloba. It will improve your memory.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:06 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
There's a hypothesis that time seems to move slowly when your young and quickly when you're old because the young subconsciously compare last week to only a decade or so of life experience while the old subconsciously compare last week to six or seven decades of life experience.

If that hypothesis is true, the only way to slow down one's perception time passage would be some form of permanent amnesia, sort of like the condition that Drew Barrymore's character in the movie Fifty First Dates had.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
There's time now, time enough at last.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:29 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I do feel time flying past much quicker now. I remember as a child how our 3 month summer breaks seemed to last so long, and now summer's over in the blink of an eye. Several times in the last month I've found myself saying "Was that a whole year ago when we did that?" I am blown away at the speed at which time passes. I hurt my shoulder this summer and am finally going to get surgery, but the fact that it's been 5 months since my injury doesn't seem possible. It's a weird feeling. I do think it's just that time is relative (thanks Einstein, literally!). 3 months seems a long time to an 8-year-old, after all it's 1/32nd of their life, but to someone who's been around for 60 years, 3 months is only 1/240th of their life.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:46 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I do feel time flying past much quicker now. I remember as a child how our 3 month summer breaks seemed to last so long, and now summer's over in the blink of an eye. Several times in the last month I've found myself saying "Was that a whole year ago when we did that?" I am blown away at the speed at which time passes. I hurt my shoulder this summer and am finally going to get surgery, but the fact that it's been 5 months since my injury doesn't seem possible. It's a weird feeling. I do think it's just that time is relative (thanks Einstein, literally!). 3 months seems a long time to an 8-year-old, after all it's 1/32nd of their life, but to someone who's been around for 60 years, 3 months is only 1/240th of their life.
Exactly. ^^^
It's only logical. When you're 10 years old, a year and summer is 1/10 of your life. When you're 70 years old, one year and one summer is 1/70 of your life.

1 in 10, vs 1 in 70. It's like taking a pie and dividing it up into 10 pieces vs 70 pieces. The pieces get smaller and smaller and so do the years as they go by.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:30 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Each day seems to stretch out with plenty of time, but somehow the accumulation of days seems to go faster, if that makes any sense.

We recently went to a karaoke place we enjoyed 10 years ago and it was totally the same. I recognized 5 or 6 karaoke singers from 10 years ago and nobody even looked different. So it seemed "recent".

OTOH, if I think about our Hawaii trip of 10 years ago, it seems a very long time ago.

It's all very weird and we have a hard time believing how old we are.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:53 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
There's a hypothesis that time seems to move slowly when your young and quickly when you're old because the young subconsciously compare last week to only a decade or so of life experience while the old subconsciously compare last week to six or seven decades of life experience.

If that hypothesis is true, the only way to slow down one's perception time passage would be some form of permanent amnesia, sort of like the condition that Drew Barrymore's character in the movie Fifty First Dates had.

Yes, that is probably the leading hypothesis, but there is no good way of testing it. I feel a bit different about that.

For my age and gender in the US, the average life expectancy right now is a little under the age 84. I am from a long lived family, so I have more than 50% statistical chance of living longer, but even so, the highest age at which I think I might have energy and capacity for complex new things, including travel, is 86-87. So, I have about 23 years left til then. But when I itemize things I want to do, ie, look at the list of travels I'd like to pursue at the rate of one foreign travel per year (I can't do more because I need time to prepare before travel, and then time to consolidate travel memories), and list of books I want to read, and when I compare that with what I have done in this past year (ie, what I can realistically do in one year), then 23 years seem shorter than 23 months would have seemed to me half a century ago when I was 13-14 :-).

So, to me, the feeling that time passes too rapidly is not related to comparing a fixed unit of time with my entire previous life, but comparing the time it takes me to do certain things with the remaining length of life that I might have left to do them. To me, if there is a deadline for something, there is more of a feeling that the clock is ticking faster and faster as I approach the deadline.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Perhaps to have as many linkages to memory for this or that as possible.

This might be the problem I have with TV, of not remembering easily what I watched a few days ago, since my watching is at random and without linkage as we have been raised to watch TV.

Another thing you might try to slow time down is to keep a diary, write each day. People say November is going FAST and I believe them....but what does my diary say? Only 22 pages written since the first and many of those are just a paragraph entry. I am just letting life get away from me, "Dynamic Scheduling" as I call it where I go from mission to mission and so many things get lost in the rush, and not taking time to reflect each day. Wake, Work, Home, Crash, repeat.

Got to run...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement