Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times

Advertisements

If it is cost you are concerned about then stay away from the brand name RV parks. The KOAs are always nice but very very expensive. If you do state parks and national parks we have paid just $12 in some of them. Some are primitive and some just have electric. They all have a dump on the way out.

It cant be any more expensive then staying at a motel. If you get a cheap motel then you risk leaving with bed bugs.

The only other way is to stay at Hostels. Like some one said, it is easier to do that in Europe. Canada, at least BC that I am familiar with has lots of them.

If I was not an RVer I would do the train. What would it be like to sleep in a train clanking along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That sounds like a neat way to see the country!!
Did they do all that between May and Sept or did you mean more than one year??
No, same year. He was an outdoors type though (he's deceased, now) and did this when he was still in his 50s (had just retired from a police force) and his wife was in her 40s. Not sure everyone would have the stamina for it.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumm0x View Post
What? When did you guys sell Memphis?

To whom?

I wanted it!
Does AMTRAK go into Memphis? I live in East Tennessee, 326 miles from Memphis. I think the closest AMTRAK to me may be in Charlotte, NC., 200 miles away.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There is no such thing as an RV that gets 20 MPG. Not even the most economical gas engine put out this year in a B class. And towing a TT no matter how small, whatever the tow vehicle you are using can not get 20 MPG either. The best I could find was 16 MPG which is the manufactures estimate and we all know how far off that is.
Why don't you ask HOW the poster is getting that MPG rather
than saying it isn't so.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Why don't you ask HOW the poster is getting that MPG rather
than saying it isn't so.
I dont need to ask the poster. As a life long RVer I know. But just so I was not talking out of my other hole I looked it up to verify before I posted.

Does that sound about right to you?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM

259 posts, read 988,250 times
check out CouchSurfing - Site Down Message. Interesting way to travel anywhere + meet people!!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont need to ask the poster. As a life long RVer I know. But just so I was not talking out of my other hole I looked it up to verify before I posted.

Does that sound about right to you?
Haw, haw (as in Hee-Haw...)... we were just having this discussion on our Rialta site... (yes, a full class C capable of 20 mpg, tho rated at 16-18 for the average joe). Some drive 70mph and get 16-18 mpg, some of us drive <60mph and get 20 +mpg. One couple have 150,000 miles on their's with average of 19 mpg (that's close enough to 20 for me...) We got 20mpg last week and climbed 3 passes on that tank. Best I've got is 23 in places like Yellowstone..@ 35 mph. Worst was 15, with a 60 mph headwind. This is before any mods I plan, such as a belly pan and fairings, larger exhaust, a cold air intake, and LRR tires. I haven't used Ethyl (premium) yet, but I hear it can help these engines get better mileage.

Since this is my only 'gas' vehicle, I had planned to use a diesel Sprinter class B...RV. They get 26 - 28 mpg, but not worth the $70k price tag and not conducive to home brew Bio-D...due to Common rail and a "cooler" on the fuel input. (and yes... I have several friends + a neighbor with them to verify this mileage, if the MPG-MP's are asking) These really drive nice, but are much tighter on interior space than a Rialta. I have a prof friend who did a 'cross-USA and Canada' trip with his VW TD Passat towing a popup camping trailer, his overall mileage economy was 38 mpg. I have many friends with VW Westy's with TDI transplants or stock IDI TD's that get 35 mpg, The VW Transporter Westy was offered in Canada in a diesel and got 32-35 mpg. I have only found 3 of those in USA. so... I could NOT speak as affirmative to say "NO RV can get 20 mpg"...)

Like I said, it is a real struggle for me to get as low as 20mpg, as I'm used to getting 52mpg in my Passat (and yes there are many who get this + better...today it is at 458 miles, and not quite down to 1/2 tank ) As a 'life-long' professional CDL driver... (tho not RV'r...) I won't claim that I know, but... I've checked my mileage a few times... And I'm relatively happy with my current 20....
Today I had to fill my Dumptruck and bulldozer up, and they don't get 20mpg (yes, I checked )

Back on topic...
Campgrounds in general are not reasonable for econo traveling / living, tho many membership options help. (they come at a price). Most fulltimers I know have a few memberships + they are staying in rented parks a few months / year + boondocking. Some become professional boondockers and pride themselves into how many nights they can get for free, but they often spoil the benefits of those who need to use 'free' spots while 'enroute'. (as they say... freedom isn't free, for everyone...)

Maintenance on an RV is quite high over the same life expectancy of your home, and some are approaching and exceeding home prices. (after all... the topic is W/O RV...)

Yurts are $20 - $40, (and few of them) so... you are packing your camping gear to save very little.

Things are changing, I suspect there will be a lot of folks renting out 'boarding' rooms again to help cover taxes and insurance. You can often get by with this if there is not a stove or range in your 'boarding room' + you might want to add a meal per day and offer laundry service to stay 'legal'.

And yes I've slept in a lot of 'clanking' trains while stationed in Europe. (and Asia). It is not too bad EXCEPT the smoking and who you or your spouse may be rooming with. (you often get split up on overnight trains if they are crowded and you were a late stop 'walk-on') The 6 folks to a cabin, fold out two sets of bunks above each bench seat and everyone gets a bunk. We only had one trip where our family of 4 was alone in a 2nd class cabin. You can get the posh stuff for $$$, but for a few hrs of restless sleep it wasn't worth it in Europe + they are usually pre-booked.

You chose the night route which is your longest leg so you get some sleep, then you back track during the day on commuter trains, as your 'pass' is good from 10PM to the following midnight. (26 hrs). (it was at that time... 1993)

It is very popular in SE Asia, India, China, and Europe to take a 'night bus' to your destination to save a night's lodging. It is very interesting as the terminals come to life at 10 pm, and the buses depart ~ 12AM to avoid the heat and traffic of the day. In Japan they had sleeping compartments like cocoons, in the back. Frequently there is a 'lounge' on the lower deck and quietness + whifting smoke up above.

Keep the ideas coming, I haven't heard of Hobo travel offers yet, we used to do that and hitch-hiking a lot.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-04-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 PM

59 posts, read 214,244 times
Default Koa

If you go to the KOA web site their is a map and a list of all the campgrounds, I think they will snail mail you a map book of all KOAs in the U.S. if you ask for one.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
KOA can get pretty expensive ewven with a RV.My suggestion is planning a camping vaction and butiong a national parks pass. hen have a small SUV that gets good mileage. I can remember taking such tris with my parents that I still think of as really great times.If you have kids they will love it as boring like staying in a motel.I had a friend who did just this two uears ago and they satyed in areas thatcost me like $125.00 a nite in 1995 just for a motel room.Even one fo the smaller topup campers can be pulled behind a small SUV and leave alot for gas cost. I thnik the thing is to set a buget per day and then see what you can afford.In the 70's during a worse recession and high gas prices many did the same but you had to plan and make reservtions because stateand national parks camp grounds filled up quickly.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
KOA can get pretty expensive ewven with a RV.My suggestion is planning a camping vaction and butiong a national parks pass. hen have a small SUV that gets good mileage. I can remember taking such tris with my parents that I still think of as really great times.If you have kids they will love it as boring like staying in a motel.I had a friend who did just this two uears ago and they satyed in areas thatcost me like $125.00 a nite in 1995 just for a motel room.Even one fo the smaller topup campers can be pulled behind a small SUV and leave alot for gas cost. I thnik the thing is to set a buget per day and then see what you can afford.In the 70's during a worse recession and high gas prices many did the same but you had to plan and make reservtions because stateand national parks camp grounds filled up quickly.

I sorta forgot about the possibility of going from one national park to another. My husband said he did the state parks in Ohio with his dad one summer when he was a kid. He still talks about things like the crazy sandwiches they made when they only had a few cans of food.
(corn,potted meat for example) Why do parents think the only way to
make good memories with their kids is spend 5 K at Disney ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement