Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2023, 09:50 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,942,838 times

Advertisements

If a person financially quailfies for SSI, but is receiving SSD for medical reasons, is the SSD paid per the Birthdate Wednesdays SS schedule, or paid on the Third of the Month SSI schedule?

Or maybe Michigan's SSI payments exceed the Federal SSD payments amount, so they are actually receiving SSI without realizing it.

I am trying to make sense of what two in-laws are telling me, which doesn't align with the SSA website.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-20-2023 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 08:52 AM

3,055 posts, read 3,326,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
If a person financially quailfies for SSI, but is receiving SSD for medical reasons, is the SSD paid per the Birthdate Wednesdays SS schedule, or paid on the Third of the Month SSI schedule?

Or maybe Michigan's SSI payments exceed the Federal SSD payments amount, so they are actually receiving SSI without realizing it.

I am trying to make sense of what two in-laws are telling me, a claim which doesn't align with the SSA website.
SSI generally paid on the 1st. Sometimes moves a day earlier to 31st.

Elderly generally paid on the 3rd but sometimes moved up a day or 2.

Depends if 1st or 3rd is on a weekend/holiday. Some months you may see 2 payments per month then zero the next month.

The 3 Wednesday dates are for those on regular Social Security

Old 11-21-2023, 09:22 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,639,903 times
See the note a bottom of this SSA webpage
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2024.pdf
where it says:
"if receiving both Social Security & SSI, Social Security is paid on the 3rd and SSI on the 1st"

If Michigan has it's own "SSI" program, that might be different.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:27 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,942,838 times
Thanks, after doing a lot more web searching I found my answer. If the payment arrives at the beginning of the month (2nd or 3rd) it is SSI, regardless that the recipient may think it is SSD after following the entire SSD application and review process.
NOTE: This accurate only for those who started receiving payments after 1997.

SSI is awarded to those individuals with extremely limited assets who are also:
• over 65, or
• blind, or
• have a qualifying disability.

It is this third item which causes the SSD / SSI confusion for many recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement