Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 12:50 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The difference between Gen Z and the boomer generation is that the Boomer generation had a wife at home doing all those things that the Gen Zs claim they don't have the time to do them.
Maybe really, really old Boomers. My mom was born in 1944 and she worked her whole life as did many mothers I know. Maybe it just depends on where you lived. We have always been right outside a city wives at home weren't a huge thing.

I am on the very tale end of Boomers and very few of my cohort were single income families.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:58 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,732,466 times
Quote:
The difference between Gen Z and the boomer generation is that the Boomer generation had a wife at home doing all those things that the Gen Zs claim they don't have the time to do them.
I'd say the percentage of married couples born after 1945 with only one income by choice is less than 10%. You really should learn something about what you post about, before posting.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:59 PM

587 posts, read 445,710 times
My mom was born in 1942 and she worked, but she was divorced and had to. When I was growing up in the late 60's/70's most moms were at home and even when I entered the workforce in the early 80's there were women I knew that got married and did not work. However this was the exception and not the norm. We have a friend who's wife went back to work last year because she did not have enough quarters for Medicare. The wife is 62 and stopped working when she got married at 26.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,059,658 times
Like I said, boots on the ground to keep the Cloud working. Weather disaster related curfews, I have my papers to be on the roads as an essential worker.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:06 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Lot's of EU countries would agree with her, and give much more manageable work loads.

Is there some nobility in working yourself ragged? Hey, I've done the 16 hour days 6 days a week, and it sucked.

Between commuting, working, sometimes mandatory shmoozing after work, your too tired to much else - I don't see a selling point to that.

I thought the goal was to make each generations life easier than the previous.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-20-2023, 01:16 PM

10,118 posts, read 6,469,954 times
Quote:
Hah! I'm a Boomer (born 1950) and I worked full-time and still took care of the house, yard, and pets, both as a single and married woman. Neither of my husbands would touch "yard work" with a ten foot rake.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:19 PM

7,953 posts, read 3,906,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There is a push among some Americans to establish the work week as 32 hours instead of the standard 40 hours.
As a retiree, I would prefer working people to work 50 instead of 40. It would be more convenient for me. More work means a higher GDP and higher GDP per capita.

Quote:
I think that in comparison to some European countries, the American worker is overworked.
Compared to Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan & China, the American worker is underworked.

Quote:
The encroachment of automation, robotics, and artificial intelligence into the workplace could make a shorter work week reasonable.
Perhaps. But that would fly in the face of the history of technical innovation - from the automatic knitting machine to the invention of the steel tipped plow to the invention of steam shovels to the invention of the light-weight one-man chainsaw to the invention of the IBM 360 series of mainframes to early personal computers to modern computers & networking to modern smartphones.

It is exceedingly difficult to forecast the future. It is hard enough to explain the past.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:24 PM

7,953 posts, read 3,906,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Is there some nobility in working yourself ragged? Hey, I've done the 16 hour days 6 days a week, and it sucked.
But notice that isn't what the young woman in the article is doing.

Quote:
I thought the goal was to improve the standard of living, as measured by GDP, GDP per capita, and GDP per capita PPP (to mitigate the effects of currency fluctuations).

Old 11-20-2023, 01:36 PM

43,274 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Quote:
Lot's of EU countries would agree with her, and give much more manageable work loads.

Between commuting, working, sometimes mandatory shmoozing after work, your too tired to much else - I don't see a selling point to that.

That person in the article though is only working 9-5.
I don't think she's ever encountered overtime yet.

The goal of working is to make a living for yourself.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:38 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,698,764 times
I worked my butt off so I could retire in my 40s. So all I can do is laugh at the horrible lifestyles most of these people will live. They do/did it to themselves so I DO NOT feel sorry in the least when they get old and have absolutely NOTHING and nobody. I have a few older friends that lived the rarely work lifestyle. It is not new it is just getting more prevalent. Now they get almost nothing from SS and live like animals, but hey they didn't contribute a darn thing in life and did as they pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement