Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 01:29 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times

Advertisements

Good work going on at CMU...

CMU Robot Puts on Shirts One Sleeve at a Time
Robotic-assisted dressing system accommodates different poses, body types and garments

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...5Qn4ILz6IR9ILQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 04:59 AM

8,750 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Be careful what you wish for. The robot was given a reward? I find it scary!

Old 01-02-2024, 05:27 AM

8,359 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Good work going on at CMU...

CMU Robot Puts on Shirts One Sleeve at a Time
Robotic-assisted dressing system accommodates different poses, body types and garments

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...5Qn4ILz6IR9ILQ
Awesome! Hope it can learn to change diapers soon!

I was wondering how I'd be able to dress if I became blind, how I would figure out the colors of the clothes. But it turns out cheap devices that tell you the color already exist:

https://www.maxiaids.com/product/the...color-detector

Old 01-02-2024, 05:32 AM

8,359 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Be careful what you wish for. The robot was given a reward? I find it scary!
I hope it was given a reward, that is how it learns. But a reward does not mean the same for the robot as it means for an organism that has positive or negative feelings. The robot does not feel anything about the reward - it just has a program that measures its performance, and prioritizes successful mechanical operations during the robot's future performances.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Does it need high speed, broadband, unlimited Internet to operate? Now, that is just slightly a facetious question in relation to me......but really, is it? For there are three things to it.

First, much of America assumes that their Internet as they know it is everywhere.

Second, but that's not true.

And Third, will this thing require a subscription which on limited income may be impossible.

It may look great on paper but in the reality of our worlds....is it?

Old 01-02-2024, 04:03 PM

977 posts, read 519,755 times
Probably a terrible idea (or to put it more plainly, an accident waiting to happen). People who need help getting dressed in nursing homes are usually people who need assistance just getting up. If they're ambulatory enough to get up, they would be able to get dressed.

From what I read, this thing only helps them get their shirt or gown on. What about the bottoms? Would you let this piece of machinery near your private parts? With mechanical and electronic devices, if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong. Could be like something out of a horror/sci fi movie if Mr Arm Assistant goes crazy.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:21 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Probably a terrible idea (or to put it more plainly, an accident waiting to happen). People who need help getting dressed in nursing homes are usually people who need assistance just getting up. If they're ambulatory enough to get up, they would be able to get dressed.

From what I read, this thing only helps them get their shirt or gown on. What about the bottoms? Would you let this piece of machinery near your private parts? With mechanical and electronic devices, if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong. Could be like something out of a horror/sci fi movie if Mr Arm Assistant goes crazy.
We-ll, you know.......
Chub: There was a Voc therapist in Kaldor City. Specially programmed, equipped with vibro-digits, subcutaneous stimulators, the lot. You know what happened, Borg? Its first client wanted treatment for a stiff elbow. The Voc therapist felt carefully all round the joint, and then suddenly just twisted his arm off at the shoulder. Shoompf. All over in two seconds. (from Dr. Who "The Robots of Death", imdb)

Old 01-06-2024, 10:04 AM

316 posts, read 180,878 times
I for one, welcome our robot overlords.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:15 AM

19,801 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

Not necessarily for some clothing. Arthritic fingers might make it impossible to button or zip, and sometimes old people are too wobbly (or fat or out of shape) to pull up their own pants or even put on their own socks or underwear. Think of a one-year-old toddler. Sure, most of them can walk, but not many can completely dress themselves without any assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement