Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 05:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times

Advertisements

I am on vacation, Christmas break and the first 2 days has been a lot of sleep. I have been thinking, well, why not? No schedule to keep, so if I feel weary, why shouldn't I?

BUT....is this what retirement will be? No more schedules so throw it all out the door or is it just like that, for the first few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 05:17 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Retirement is what YOU make of it.

Personally, I do not spend two days sleeping, unless I am very sick. Maybe you did that because work is taking too much out of you.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:45 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
I seem to recall sleeping in a bit longer over the first two or three days of retirement, but it was most likely because I was reveling in the luxury of being my own master, not subject to an employer's schedule or an alarm clock.

The novelty wore off. One can sleep too much. There were so many other things I wanted to do with all that new free time. I can't sleep more than about 7 hours anyway unless I'm sick. Agree with others. Retirement is what YOU MAKE IT! If that means lying in bed until noon, so be it.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:57 PM

30,554 posts, read 16,247,641 times
I agree that retirement is what you want it to be. Judging from the posters here, some go to bed 3AM and sleep all day. Others go to bed early and get up early. Most seem to keep hours similar to their work hours.

Eventually you'll find the sleep schedule that works for you.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:10 PM

938 posts, read 425,189 times
After I came out of my work coma, I too slept for like two weeks, I decided I would accomplish at least one thing every day and then take the day off. Sometimes I met that goal early in the day. Other times I would take hours of mental planning to meet that goal. You’ll get in a grove in your own time. Enjoy the journey.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:46 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am on vacation, Christmas break and the first 2 days has been a lot of sleep. I have been thinking, well, why not? No schedule to keep, so if I feel weary, why shouldn't I?

BUT....is this what retirement will be? No more schedules so throw it all out the door or is it just like that, for the first few days?
Not exactly day one after retirement, but I planned and executed a 10 day private guided tour through Ecuador. I worked with a travel agent to design it with the possibility of being an expat there. I took a trip to Seoul S Korea and Da Nang Vietnam. I bought myself a new set of golf clubs that actually have a serial number to register with the manufacturer.

I mention all that because it is easy to find something to do or go see.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Sleep is fine, but at some point (with a farm), you realize you can't afford to burn daylight, as there is no way you will ever get done 1/2 your required projects, much less the optional stuff. So... you need to accomplish something, once in a while.

I'm very weather and daylight constrained (always been a farmer)

I check the 10 day forecast and roughly pencil in my preferred plans and projects for each day. (I never get them all done, never will)

Old 12-17-2023, 08:38 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,029,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
After I came out of my work coma, I too slept for like two weeks, I decided I would accomplish at least one thing every day and then take the day off. Sometimes I met that goal early in the day. Other times I would take hours of mental planning to meet that goal. You’ll get in a grove in your own time. Enjoy the journey.
I follow this plan and have done so my entire life. I'm not retired, nor do I ever plan to be. Some days are winners, some losers. It's all about the journey, not the un-guaranteed reward.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:59 PM

7,633 posts, read 3,278,075 times
I have been unusually exhausted/tired. I never took naps for decades. Suddenly the last couple of weeks I have felt extremely fatigued and I will take a couple of 20 minute to 60 minute naps (one at noon and one at 5 p.m). IT COULD BE A BUG.

I cannot speak for retirement. I have a feeling I will be a lot busier because my day job requires a lot of focus and sitting still. Sitting still is only something I want to do when I have worn out that worn out knee with zero cartilage.

I believe you can make it up as you go along Or, you could just keep working or retire and then decide you want to work part time. I have friends that thought they would work part time; but, they just do not want to commit their time once they have it all to themselves again.

I am going to work as long as I can because I suspect I won't go back once I take that step.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:04 PM

7,633 posts, read 3,278,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sleep is fine, but at some point (with a farm), you realize you can't afford to burn daylight, as there is no way you will ever get done 1/2 your required projects, much less the optional stuff. So... you need to accomplish something, once in a while.

I'm very weather and daylight constrained (always been a farmer)

I check the 10 day forecast and roughly pencil in my preferred plans and projects for each day. (I never get them all done, never will)

I am starting to realize I should get up with the sun and go to bed with the sun (not eat after the sun goes down). You do not need a farm to practice that.

The only problem is that I think better sometimes late at night. So, if I decide I am going to write it could be that my best work is done by lamp after dark.

Fortunately, by the time I retire I will not have endless years to test all my theories. I will have limited years and a lot I want to get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement