Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 07:19 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,798,452 times

Advertisements

Anyone retire early 50s and regret it because you had way too much free time on your hands? Or did you have plans to keep you busy and how has that worked out?

I retired just shy of 50, plans are to travel full time but part of me hopes I don't get too bored... We will see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 07:28 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
I had to take disability retirement at 48. I don't regret it because it was something i had to do, i couldnt work any longer.

But some days i miss the "fun" and friendship i had at work. I don't miss having to do crazy shifts, and the sleep i missed out on. I work on trying to find things that keep me interested in life. Some days are better than others.

I try to get outdoors each day, even if only for a short amount of time (due to the weather). I'm 64 now. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-09-2024, 08:13 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,215,794 times
Retired at 50 on 1/6/2017

No regrets whatsoever.

I didn't "hate" my job , but after 28 years in sales I was done!

First few years I was doing a lot of volunteer work, but not so much the last couple. My lens of the world has changed a lot. I don't have to be doing something.

My time is mine. More time to help family members, eat better, exercise more, meditate, and in general be able to stop and smell the roses, and just really appreciate life more is truly a whole nother way to live.

No more Sunday night blues, Monday morning angst. You don't realize until you step away how thats , to me, an awful way to live.

It also hasn't hurt that my net worth has increased 58% since 1/6/2017 which has reinforced my commitment to disciplined investing and responsible spending.

Anyone reading this who is still on the fence I implore you to assess your financial picture and if the numbers work just do it! I truly feel I have been given a chance to live two lives!

Old 01-09-2024, 08:39 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times
Too many think they will do the same things for their entire retirement. Hobbies change. Desires change. What you do at 50 most likely won't be what you do at 65. What you do at 65 will probably change at 80.

The age doesn't matter as much as being open to trying new things.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:26 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,776,469 times
I retired at 50 and am now 55. It’s all worked out very well for us. I can always find stuff to do that is better than working, lol. I’d worked most of my last decade remotely, so it made it an easier transition.

Lots of travel, lot of bicycling, and sometimes both together. Two long cycling solo tours across Europe (9 countries, 11 weeks), several 4-7 day mini-trips on the bike. A 6-week cross-country car camping trip (lots of natural parks). Numerous long weekend beach trips and mountain camping trips. Dozens of live music shows. My teen (still in the home) introduced me to various video games that I’ve really enjoyed (Elden Ring, for instance). Long walks. Kayaking local lakes and reserves. Photography outings. Drinks out with friends when they get off work. Lots of Criterion Channel films. Listening to music, podcasts, etc. I stay fairly busy, so I really enjoy my down time just chilling. Not sure where I ever found the time to have a day job.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Free time? What's that?

retired at 49. (~19 yrs ago)

No shortage of things to do, yet

Maybe late in my next decade. But I'm sure I can think of something to do by that time.

Probably VR and AI travel. (while on an automated exercise device that keeps you fit and limber.)

If I did have free time (today), I would be learning another language (in a foreign immersion program), or... improving my skills at piano and organ. Seems the world is running out of ole timers to perform / accompany silent movies on Theater Pipe Organs.

If my state permitted (as do many)... I would be back in (free) college, again. I enjoy learning in my free time.

But my life interests are pretty varied. I usually ride 20,000 miles / yr of dirt backroads via motorcycle (can't afford a horse). That takes a bit of my free time.

100+ flights to keep the Companion Pass (4 today) - not counting international trips 4-6 / yr

Master Gardener in (3) different states (~100 hours / yr is all, that's less than 2 weeks of normal work)

Design and build houses (still)... from scratch. Lots of woodwork, built-ins, and stonework (in and out).
Build our own cabinets and furniture too

LONG road trips, Changing oil and fixing 50+ vehicles (farm, business, personal, collector)

Volunteer at Chamber Music Festivals.

Teach SS every week (that I am home...) Seemed to work well for Jimmy Carter.

and... most importantly. Naps and Happy Hours (eats only)

Lots of naps, anytime and as often as I like.

Oh... and financial management, planning and teaching small business courses. (In my other free time)

Life is a breeze, ever since escaping from Dairy Farm Boarding school (age 15)
Still have the farm, (actually (3) in different states, so that takes a bit of time too.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:03 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,798,452 times
For me I think it was the fact that I am single (have been for the last several years) and a lot of my daily social interaction came from my work group. Now that has suddenly vanished I think it was a bit of a shock to be reminded that I was by myself. I have to readapt now to find other avenues to be social - perhaps around my hobbies etc. I do have a plethora of hobbies and I'm going to focus on those things

Old 01-10-2024, 08:31 AM

311 posts, read 196,907 times
Retired at 46, 8 years ago, and wouldn't change a single thing if I had it all to do over again.

Part time hobbies have become full time hobbies. Weekend trips have become week-long trips (or more). Moved twice since retiring. Currently in South Carolina, so I spend a lot of time poolside if there's nothing else to get done that day.

I was never dependent on work colleagues to fill up my social calendar, so leaving them all behind was easy.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:37 AM

112 posts, read 84,137 times
Retired a couple of years ago at age 52. Have taken on multiple consultant gigs and some full time work in my old field, so I have failed in the act of retiring.

My work life has changed dramatically in the sense that I'm no longer on the hamster wheel of my old job at the same organization that I had worked at for the previous 18 years -- aka burnout.

Now I'm taking shorter gigs that actually keep me fresh and have really padded the ol' pocket book. By May or June, I'll re-evaluate and possibly retire again and see how long it lasts.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:05 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
I retired at 42yo. I got the mandatory pension that comes with my career field. 23 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement