Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 25,510 times

Advertisements

If you just go along our southern coasts it seems like the prices are really surging.

Southern California been high for a long time now.

Possible the southern Texas coast, although southern Texas seems more of a Mexican rather than American culture. Maybe that's what your going for.

Maybe Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coasts in the Gulf are still affordable. Not states people seem to be running to just yet though.

Florida is becoming like California price wise. Maybe northern Florida but even that's changing quick. Go up the coast, Georgia and the Carolinas are booming with cash on hand northern retirees, it is not a cheap in many of those cities anymore.

Not to mention it is spring break time, and it should be noted that in many places you have to evacuate these places during spring break. Biolxi, Pensacola, Panama City beach, Certainly the Miami area and absolutely Myrtle Beach get really dangerous.

Will we soon start seeing a different way of thinking how a stereo typical retirement look like due to some of these changes? Beg to differ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 10:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
As usual, desirable places will increase in cost and population, and popularity.

There is more money, and more people, thus the cycle churns. (and you find more remote and desirable places away from USA. With the security problems elsewhere, the nice places in the USA are fewer AND more expensive.

For surfing.... Central and South America would be my target. Much of Asia has pretty calm waters, and little tidal change (Except during typhoons). Philippines and indonesia has thousands of islands each! Malaysia has a program to resettle there. (and some really great, affordable beaches. https://www.mm2h.com/ (As in Tioman where they filmed South Pacific). Trade surfing for diving. https://www.laidbacktrip.com/posts/t...20great%20time.

https://57hours.com/best-of/surfing-worldwide/

I like North Marianna's (A USA Protectorate), nice benefits, without the USA taxes! Really stormy side of the island (windward). Probably good surfing! https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Tank-Beach
No (few) crowds, and cheap (and close to very affordable medical / retirement)
https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/

Old 03-08-2024, 09:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
......Will we soon start seeing a different way of thinking how a stereo typical retirement look like due to some of these changes? Beg to differ?
Probably should.....but not for the reasons stated.

The primary reason why I don't live on the Texas coast is that, having a marine biology degree, I know the coastal environment is too fragile for heavy human development. So I do my part by not contributing to it.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:05 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
There are cheap and warm coastal areas all along the coasts of Southeast Asia. Not necessarily good for surfing, but certainly cheap and warm. Mexico/ Central America too if you are ok with crime and/or political instability.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are plenty of inexpensive coastal cities to live in here in our state, they just are not warm, and are wet. Naturally as the formerly biggest generation is retiring there is more demand, but wait until the currently biggest generation, the millennials start to retire. People looking for inexpensive, warm coastal are going to be limited to Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. Fortunately for me, we like the rain and cooler summer weather here in the northwest.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:55 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm in agreement with T.S. not only because of the fragile environment preservation, but because there are these big things that go round and round real fast called hurricanes. Having lived in south Florida and experienced a number of them - anything with an mile or two of the coast is fair game for mother nature handing out Darwin awards. Enjoying a beach or surfing or whatever? Great. Having salt water air ruin an AC in a couple years, disturbing sea turtles with light, smelling rotting Sargasso seaweed, dealing with sand fleas and the remains of jellyfish, all on an ongoing basis while paying through the nose for property taxes, insurance, and constant maintenance? No. Just no.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:35 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I prefer cold coastal environments...they may or may not be cheap, but fewer obnoxious people and the problems they drag along with them tend to congregate there. Remember what Sartre wrote: "Hell is other people."

Personally, I don't need to dabble a single toe in that frigid water to enjoy it's presence.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:25 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
You would expect high prices along the coast in Southern California, thanks to the CA Coastal Commission that won't allow any high rises along the California coastline. The ones that are there pre-dated the ruling of the Coastal Commission.

If they ever repealed the CA Coastal Commission, and allowed high rises along the CA coastline, you'd see cranes up in the sky all along the coast. Malibu has 25 miles of coastline, just think how many high rises they could crowd into those 25 miles alone. And Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica and Seal Beach.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I found the Hilo (wet) side of Hawaii to be quite inexpensive.

There are still building lots $50k - $100k (cheap for USA)

My rents in Thailand are ~$400 / month close to the beach (in a fishing village, not a tourist town). Locals probably pay less than 1/2 that.

Definately WARM, most of the time.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:30 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
If you just go along our southern coasts it seems like the prices are really surging.

Southern California been high for a long time now.

Possible the southern Texas coast, although southern Texas seems more of a Mexican rather than American culture. Maybe that's what your going for.

Maybe Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coasts in the Gulf are still affordable. Not states people seem to be running to just yet though.

Florida is becoming like California price wise. Maybe northern Florida but even that's changing quick. Go up the coast, Georgia and the Carolinas are booming with cash on hand northern retirees, it is not a cheap in many of those cities anymore.

Not to mention it is spring break time, and it should be noted that in many places you have to evacuate these places during spring break. Biolxi, Pensacola, Panama City beach, Certainly the Miami area and absolutely Myrtle Beach get really dangerous.

Will we soon start seeing a different way of thinking how a stereo typical retirement look like due to some of these changes? Beg to differ?
Why anyone else would want to live in the coastal regions is beyond me. There are hurricanes every year. Plus in Florida there are too many lunatic citizens and in government. I think the heat gets to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement