Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 06:15 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,932,563 times

Advertisements

I received a text message last night alerting me that another member of what I call "The First Wednesday Breakfast Club" has passed away. The 'club' is 8-10 engineers whom all retied from a HUGE local automotive factory which closed in 2009, and we meet once/month for breakfast on the first Wednesday.

This is the second such passing since the beginning of 2024, and with fifteen years since the plant's closing there is effectively zero chance of our group attracting new members.

I am the youngest and most recent current member and may become the final member someday. Oh well...., such is life.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-30-2024 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 08:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
Sorry to hear about that.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:01 AM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
So sorry to hear of your loss. This reminds me a bit of my father, who passed last year in his 90s. He watched as his former colleagues passed away and was the last one left by the time he passed. He was stoic about it but it definitely meant his social circle got quite small. Wishing you the best.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:42 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
We have a church group who meets up after Mass on Saturday evening where we go to dinner together. We also have a Mass we go to on Tuesdays at noon where we always go to lunch after.

Some bring coupons where we all share.

Generally there is between 8 and 12 of us with the youngest being about 70 while the oldest member of our group is 98 years old. Yep, 98 years old and he still gets around pretty darn good for his age.

We pick inexpensive places to meet up just to make sure everyone can afford it. We have Bob Evans, a local pizza place that makes great pizzas, Skyline Chili (very cheap) and Fazoli's which I really like for their Italian strawberry ice.

Some married couples but a few widows and widowers.

Whether they have a car or not we make sure everyone can go by giving rides.

We've been with this group for about four years and so far nobody has passed away and it will be a very sad day when that will eventually happens. None of us will live forever but a sad day it will be.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:18 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I received a text message last night alerting me that another member of what I call "The First Wednesday Breakfast Club" has passed away. The 'club' is 8-10 engineers whom all retied from a HUGE local automotive factory which closed in 2009, and we meet once/month for breakfast on the first Wednesday.

This is the second such passing since the beginning of 2024, and with fifteen years since the plant's closing there is effectively zero chance of our group attracting new members.

I am the youngest and most recent current member and may become the final member someday. Oh well...., such is life.
Wow sorry to hear of that.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:33 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times
I am sorry for your loss. My dad is 91, and all his long time friends have passed away. However, in the last year he’s made two new friends. One is 100, still drives and just bought a new car (how’s that for being optimistic), and the other is 90. They play gin twice a week at his country club.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:27 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope you and the remaining members of your group will be able to get together for many years to come.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:05 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
DH's Vietnam War Veteran's group has a Last Man's Club. They meet once a week for lunch. The lone man standing gets a bottle of prime alcohol. The irony of it is that most of the drinkers have already died. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The loss of our acquaintances and friends really reminds us of the passing of time.

My mom and dad were both the youngest members of their families and I am the youngest of the cousins. With today's shift away from family closeness I often jokingly say there won't be anyone left to come to my funeral!

This actually did happen to Mother. When she moved into the care center I brought her stationery, cards and stamps and she asked, "Who am I supposed to write?"

Old 03-31-2024, 09:50 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
MI-Roger, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It's really hard to see good people leave us. The creeping feeling of inevitability is like a clock ticking in our brain while our hearts are filled with loss. All I can say is to spend time with those you care about while you can.

It's the unfortunate consequence of aging that we will lose more friends and family the longer we live. In the last couple years, it's been not deaths but critical ailments that have been striking my family and friends with unfortunate regularity. My 2nd oldest brother has had diabetes for many years and now is slowly succumbing to vascular dementia. My oldest brother just had half his foot amputated due to diabetes and poor circulation. My best friend has developed mild cognitive impairment and has only a few years before dementia starts to take a much greater toll. At present she is basically "shut-in" unless someone comes over to take her where she needs to go. My cousin just lost her husband to cancer and at the same time had to have her lower leg amputated. It's been one thing after another for the last couple years. I have my aches and pains, but they are nothing compared to what those around me are going through. I'm literally losing my family piece by piece. I am thankful for my health, such as it is, and modern medicine, but this is where our life gets serious.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:42 AM

5,131 posts, read 6,127,528 times
I have had great mentors all of my life with sometimes helping or guiding me throughout my life and while there has been sadness in my younger years I can honestly say I wasn’t prepared at this age to witness freinds passing or dealing with incredible deliberating illnesses.

Many of my friends and family are dealing with parents that are in need of care and in some cases dementia or health issues of their own.

I recently visited a close friend who just had a heart pump put in and seeing him like that broke my heart and especially the many elderly at that rehabilitation center confined to a bed or wheelchair.

I am not a religious person but every day is a gift

To the OP, sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement