Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 08:25 PM

17,688 posts, read 13,502,454 times

Advertisements

I totally misread the Buy or Rent thread
So, since I already wrote it, I copied it then deleted the post to start a new thread and post here.

Here are my thoughts:

MrsM and I have been only buying used cars since sometime in the mid to late 80s.

Lately, we've been buying used rental company cars (gasp). Yes, they used to be one year old and have around 30k miles and now two years old with around 60k miles. Because of the unknown history other than Carefax, we buy a MANUFACTURER'S, not aftermarket company, extended warranty. I never believed in extended warranties but with cars almost being computers on wheels, it's the only way to go with newer used vehicles. We have always gotten more than what we paid in parts and service.

In December, we purchased a 2021.5 Volkswagen Atlas, looks brand new!. With the warranty it was far less than any new car and way less than a used car off the lot. I does help that my nephew owns a large used truck and panel work truck lot and cherry picks them out for me.

My last car was a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that I totaled this past December. I put on 125,000 miles and was getting ready for a long road trip. We got much more than our money's worth out of that one! I bought the Atlas to replace it.

We drive cars until they are getting expensive to maintain. And, buy another one then repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 09:51 PM

500 posts, read 574,763 times
I only buy new....a real pleasure for me....worth every penny! Then I put about 17,000 miles per year running up and down the road, doing fun retirement things.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:52 PM

10,641 posts, read 12,203,446 times
I can't say I'd never buy used. But I don't see it happening. I'm a new car person.

My brother has had great luck buying used rental fleet cars.

My big decision is pay cash or finance.
I'll see which one garners the best deal.

And at 64...with a 19 year old car...how long do I baby this one, before getting another. I'm hoping to get another 5 years out of this one, so I don't have to buy a car in my 80s...but whatever will be will be.

Also I don't want a lot of the new technology on cars. But alas, that's going to be unavoidable.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM

107,166 posts, read 109,518,518 times
i haven’t bought a used car since 1974.

every 4-5 years i have bought a new car since then

Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

892 posts, read 776,220 times
I buy only used and we pay cash. We also buy rental fleet cars. I’m driving a 2018 Corolla. It had 36000 miles on it when I bought it in 2019. Currently has 85000 miles. I plan to give it to my granddaughter when she starts driving in 4 years. I’ll probably get another Corolla. My husband drives a 2002 Honda CRV. We bought it in 2017 from my parents who used it as a second car in FL at their winter home. It had 36000 miles on it. It now has 70000. It runs likes it’s brand new.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM

1,455 posts, read 782,091 times
I've long felt new cars were a sucker bet. IMO the sweet spot is a 3 year old car coming off lease, often offered with a CPO type warranty.

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

107,166 posts, read 109,518,518 times
Being a car buff I never am interested in the sweet spot

With the cars I buy I want performance. No previous issue and luxury and technology

I gave up buying other peoples problems decades ago

It’s my reward for the effort I put in to growing our money and continues to be so

A car to me never represented just getting from point A to point B

I have to have something unique to that vehicle be it off road capabilities, performance, or ability in the snow or luxury

Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

5,749 posts, read 17,637,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I've long felt new cars were a sucker bet. IMO the sweet spot is a 3 year old car coming off lease, often offered with a CPO type warranty.

Being a car buff I am interested in the sweet spot AND I want performance.

My current car was a used BMW M3 convertible coming off a 3-year lease. Still had a bit of factory warranty left on it. Only 15K miles on the odometer. Pristine condition and maintained by the dealer. I've had that car for nearly 10 years and it has been largely trouble free.

Before that was another used BMW M3 convertible coming off a lease. Same story. I had that car for 10 years as well.

Before that was another used BMW M3. . . . . . OK. You get the idea

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

314 posts, read 201,479 times
Always new, and then I trade them back in for another after a couple of years, when I get bored. Keeping the current truck for a third year though, as another move will come at the end of my current apartment lease. I get bored of those, too.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

7,465 posts, read 6,632,779 times
I gave up a car, period. Was only driving 3-4K/miles per year and live in a highly walkable area of a city with 98% of my daily needs within a 1-10 minute walk. Uber (and Uber Eats) works for me—I am saving about $1800/month by doing so and putting it towards more and longer vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement