Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Full time writer doing heart’s work and getting paid for it, seeking discussion with others who also do what they love and get paid for it

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Sorry for blabbing on so much in my previous post...I'll try to limit any more stories about "me." Would rather learn from you, anyhow. Bored with 'me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Would rather learn from you, anyhow. Bored with 'me."
I'm not bored with you (for one!) and don't we all feel the same, about ourselves? I love your posts, and from the sound of the ones in this thread, we're very alike in our outlook.

Blab away.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Gosh, LilyLaLa, thank you. Love to hear about your path/journey. Are you finding joy and contentment? Anyone else want to join in on obtaining peace of mind in our (encroaching) Wisdom Years?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,695 times

Yes, joy and contentment found! LOL

I spent years working, and frustrated, and often angry, always trying to get ahead, and when my middle child was born with special needs, something just clicked while I sat beside that tiny hospital bed:

I'd spent years studying to get a good job so that I could make a lot of money so that I could make a comfortable life, so that I could be happy. My studies hadn't gone well and it took seven years after that to find the job I liked, and five more years to work my way up to a senior position, but there wasn't much money in it and well....

D'oh!! It just suddenly occurred to me, to cut out all those "middlemen" of things I thought would make me happy. It occurred to me that happiness didn't have to be something found, or made... it was something you could simply be.

And to my amazement, it worked. The frustration and anger and dissatisfaction can really be switched off, with a simple change of perspective and belief...wow! and YAY! And it becomes a habit; shaking off the bad times and setbacks gets easier with practice.

We live in a centuries-old stone house in remote countryside, we farm to feed ourselves, while I play make-believe for a cash living (writing YA novels & shorts). The kids have a pony, dog, hens and a few acres to play with, and to keep us all out of trouble we do volunteer for local charities and groups, which has made us some wonderful true friends. Best of all, just THIS WEEK the old man finally conceded that the retirement numbers add up better than the work numbers (especially with fuel prices soaring when his commute is so far)...he turned in his notice, and will be staying home as of the second day in August; I'm doing the happy dance!

We don't make a lot of money either way frankly, but I can't think of anything that I could buy with money that would make a good trade for living each day to my own liking. Simple country living has been bliss. I guess my only regret these days is, that I didn't figure it out sooner!

(Thanks for asking!)

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Oh how my heart lifted to read your journey from before to now...your life sounds blissuful, though, I'm sure filled with the usual ups and downs of daily living...and your most fortunate children to share that life with you, which sounds wonderfully rich and free.

Perhaps many children would prefer having more close relationships with their care-givers, fields to roam, animals to be-friend, fresh food to grow and eat-- rather than more stuff and work-frazzled, absent caregivers?

[quote=LilyLaLa;4402219]

Yes, joy and contentment found! LOL

It occurred to me that happiness didn't have to be something found, or made... it was something you could simply be.

"And to my amazement, it worked. The frustration and anger and dissatisfaction can really be switched off, with a simple change of perspective and belief...wow! and YAY! And it becomes a habit; shaking off the bad times and setbacks gets easier with practice."

It can be done, you've done it and that's a lesson for us to take to heart...

Co-incidentally, a book I'm in the midst says/teaches this, too. "The Art of Happiness" is a series of interviews with the Dalai Lama. The words go straight to the heart of the matter when he tells us to "go toward that which brings us joy, and to go away from that which brings us misery..."

I kept thinking, "no, it can't be that simple--when lo and behold, it is! Once we get unstuck from our previous conditioning. May your partners getting free bring even more joy into your lives.

Thanks for sharing your journey into joy...loved hearing it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement