Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
I read internet sites like this one - probably too much. But since I have a kid still in elementary school (bad planning that), my time isn't entirely my own. Spend time reading, working out, socializing, cleaning out the garage. I have a really clean garage! Really, the hardest part is getting over this nagging feeling that I should be out there doing something productive. When that feeling hits, the only thing you can do is sit down and relax until it passes.
Do you miss competition at work? I don't mean it in a negative way, either. Do you miss getting an evaluation, finishing some project faster or better than some other person or group, having the idea that the boss goes with over others? Having some kind of presentation made to you for something you've done? Having someone who isn't related to you commend you for something you accomplished? Etc. Do you feel like the only competition excitement you get now is trying to beat your last cholesterol/blood pressure score when you go to the doctor?

I missed that when I first retired. Not the job itself, just the competition aspect of the job. I had to find a hobby/activity where I had a chance to be competitive since I don't play any kind of competitive sport. It was ingrained in me on the job and at school that it is how I measure my self worth. I only ask because I'm looking at your post and don't see any activities where you would be measured/graded/awarded/proclaimed/attaboyed for what you do by someone else except maybe the spouse for cleaning out the garage. If you spent your career being competitive maybe you miss that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Personally, I HATE a competitive work enviornment! I suspect that in some cases, that can be more of a "guy thing". . .but I belive that work relationships should be cooperative, for the good of the organization AND for the good of the employees. A big part of the reason I am retiring now and not waiting until next year is the toxic work enviornment I have been in since my misogynistic boss came onboard. He has not problem lying to me or to the H.R. department, regarding both his actions and his words, and I am way too old and way to cranky to tolerate it one minute more than is absolulty necessary!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you miss competition at work? I don't mean it in a negative way, either. Do you miss getting an evaluation, finishing some project faster or better than some other person or group, having the idea that the boss goes with over others? Having some kind of presentation made to you for something you've done? Having someone who isn't related to you commend you for something you accomplished? Etc. Do you feel like the only competition excitement you get now is trying to beat your last cholesterol/blood pressure score when you go to the doctor?

I missed that when I first retired. Not the job itself, just the competition aspect of the job. I had to find a hobby/activity where I had a chance to be competitive since I don't play any kind of competitive sport. It was ingrained in me on the job and at school that it is how I measure my self worth. I only ask because I'm looking at your post and don't see any activities where you would be measured/graded/awarded/proclaimed/attaboyed for what you do by someone else except maybe the spouse for cleaning out the garage. If you spent your career being competitive maybe you miss that.
were you a lawyer? I kinda miss the action sometimes; competition from my opponents was expected and I usually had no problem with that, but when it was from people on your own side (bosses, ambitious co-workers etc.) then, no, I don't miss that.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
I do what ever I want to do,go where ever ,see whom ever,and take a nap at 2 pm. but usually I am too busy working and running for friends and family because I am retired I have the time to do for them........I may get a job so I can get some rest!!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I retired at the end of December 2008. My wife had retired some years before. Ideally, my day begins with waking up both a pulse and respiration. Thereafter it's wide open.

My first year of retirement consisted of taking care of my wife who had four surgeries to piece her back together following an accident. Spare time was spent researching places for a post-retirement move.

We were finally able to fly back to house hunt and actually, the year spent in place benefitted us as we didn't have a house to sell and were able to buy at the bottom of the housing market. The past year has been spent in house upgrades, landscaping, vegetable gardening and getting to know neighbors.

We love day trips, overnighters, et al, and spend a fair amount of time exploring our new state and neighboring ones as well as visiting children and grandchildren in other states.

What I think we enjoy mlst about retirement is the total freedom. There are no goals, no major objectives, no schedules, no lists, no one were answerable to other than ourselves and one another. We get up when we wake up. Go to bed when we're tired. Nap if we want, eat what we wish when we wish, or not. We can travdel, go, do, shop during the week while others are working and the stores and destinations aren't crowded and we don't have to fight traffic. Scheduling appointments (doctor, hairdresser, manicurist, dentist, tax service, car services, etc.) can be done when convenient for us.

It's good to be retired! Since we're both loners for the most part, it's perfect for us!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 PM

87 posts, read 298,563 times
For some the question becomes academic. What with taking care of aging parents in their last years and adult children who can't seem to handle independence, carefree retirement years are only a fading dream. When (if) we are free to explore our retirement, age, health, and the economy will have limited our options to few.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I'm so glad this is posted. My husband is disabled / retired and he's miserable!! I'm guessing because he's a hard core workaholic that was forced to retire because of a broken back and neck. He loved his work (law enforcement) and fought the doctors for a year over leaving. His brain is still there but his body has failed him. It's left him unhappy and frustrated. The only time he's happy is when I'm home to keep him entertained.

We went on 'vacation' last weekend, just a few days away. We've always talked about when I retire, building our dream home and how great life would be. But after three days away with no plans of what we could / wanted to do, I was bored out of my skull. He was happy for a change, but I was eager to get back to work. And I hate my job and am not real thrilled with some of my co-workers!

It really made me wonder what I'd do if I were retired. I'd never thought of it before. Dreamed of sleeping in each day, having a decent casual breakfast instead of a rushed stop in at McDonald's for coffee and a fruit parfait that I down on the drive to work. Going for an early morning horseback ride around the lake, maybe an afternoon picnic. A real homecooked dinner on the back deck in the evening instead of a microwave meal before I fall into a coma from lack of sleep.

But as I think about it, doing that every day would get old. I'm afraid I'd be bored. I'm afraid I'm gonna suck at retirement as much as hubby does! We'd love to travel but I don't think we'll wind up going as often and as much as we like for financial reasons. And I'm such a homebody anyway.

The things I want to do when I retire are things he's not physically able to do - cave dwelling and hiking and such. Thinking about it has actually left me a bit concerned about the future! I want to retire soon to be able to spend some time with my husband. But I don't want to be miserable. But if I wait and lose him to his medical conditions I'll never forgive myself. I'm just afraid we won't find things to keep us busy enough and we'll wind up on each others nerves.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.

I think that is enough to cover all variations on your theme.

But just in case I missed one, let me add one for emphasis: HELL NO!!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Different strokes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.
I think that is enough to cover all variations on your theme.
But just in case I missed one, let me add one for emphasis: HELL NO!!
I have no reason to doubt the accuracy or sincerity of either LauraC's statement that she misses the competitive aspects of working, or your emphatic statement that you do not miss them. This is just a perfect example of how our basic personalities differ all over the map; that affects the type of work we are suited for and what we get out of it, and it affects how we approach retirement and what we do with it.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
were you a lawyer? I kinda miss the action sometimes; competition from my opponents was expected and I usually had no problem with that, but when it was from people on your own side (bosses, ambitious co-workers etc.) then, no, I don't miss that.
No, not a lawyer. I do like a competitive environment, though. I don't have to win. I just like the excitement of the competition. I used to fish competitively when I was much younger and REALLY stunk at it but I liked the excitement of the competitive environment. Doesn't matter if it's work or play.

Before I retired I read a lot of books and one of them had personal experiences of people who retired. One man who golfed couldn't wait until he retired so he could golf more. I think he moved to a community on a golf course. But, he got bored of it quickly after he retired. He said he realized it wasn't the game of golf he loved so much but the competition of the game with his co-workers. I guess when he played with other retirees there just wasn't the same thrill of winning as there was when co-workers were competing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement